The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

If You Were The Coach

kinot-1

I don't care if you are bilingual, or unilingual. If you were the coach, what would you do to win each and every game? How would you (the coach) manage your bench?

We have all said to ourselves, "why doesn't he try this on the Pk/PP,,,or why doesn't he play this guy (forward/D/ or goalie) instead of that guy". You only have the players you are given (ok,,by PG :( ), but, how would "you" coach (as well as the practices), the team?

Here's what I am getting at. D zone FOs,,,,,O zone FOs, PP,,,5 on 4 PP,,,5 on 4 PK,,,,,5 on 3 PP,,,5 on 3 PK.,,,, pulling the goalie,,,,time-outs,,,,matching lines, (home and away) etc.

You get my drift?

Thoughts?

Mods,,please don't tell me there's another thread like this. :(

On edit,,,maybe there should be a thread about being the GM. :)

Powerplay unit 1:

Bourque Plekanec Subban

Kaberle Kostitsyn

Play the umbrella, with Kaberle alone up top and AK and PK one timing from each side, Bourque in front/slot and Plekanec roaming the low boards trying to make cross seam passes.

PPunit2:

Two and a Half men

Eller Diaz

Eller as the puck handler to gain entry, DD the distributor Diaz to take wrist shots for Pax and Cole to deflect.

I'd ask my GM to sign Steve Begin; then put him on the wing of Gomez along with Kabarle on the first line with Pacioretty and Budaj playig first pairing D. Oh and I'd put on my Carbonneau jersey behind the bench.

The elements of a successful power play are:

1. Successfull entering the zone. When you have the puck down your own end, no matter the precure the puck has to be passed to the prefered puck carrier. Some teams do this behind their own net. The puck carrier gains the red line and then 3 team mates sets up a formation of 4 in a line to enter the zone and a backup 5th D player shortly behind. There has to be awareness from all players to give the carrier some passing options, as soon he enters the blue line, so this is way they have to be close together. A preferable move that teams use, is the backhand carrier's pass to the very close trailing 5th D player, who sets the passing play right away. Again the success comes with movement and it all comes down to the willing of a player to make himself available to be passed the puck. Players that can play the puck carrier role are Eller and Desharnais.

2. Fast puck movement. Probably it's all about practice but i have come to a conclussion that you have to help the formation as a coach, by constracting a unit according to players abilities, not stats. In the umbrella formation (1-2-2) you have a pointman who has to be a defensemen calm, with excellent passing ability (Kaberle, Markov), to the right and left side must be the sniper kind of plaers with heavy and accurate shooting, for the one timers (Subban, Kostitsyn, Eller). Down the walls there must be two big bodies with passing abilities and net presence to screen the goalie (Pacioretty, Cole, Bourque). Quick puck movement involves the passing from the line to down low, and from the down low winger to the player that screens the net. These ought to be automatic movements so that the opposition cant adjust quick enough. In the two pointmen formation (2-1-2) you can have two excellent passing/heavy shooting pointmen (Subban, Weber, Kostitsyn)with two great passing players down the walls that can set up plays (Plekanec, Gionta) to the screening player in front of the net (Cole, Pacioretty). If executed right, both formations garantee, heave traffic for the opposition goalie.

3. Predictability. You have to make it difficult for the opposition to adjust and read the play, this for i would use both formations mentioned above in my two PP units. Individually speaking, some times, it is better to fake a shot, than blast a one timer with high velocity. Also when shooting, it is more prefered to aim at the goalies pad than a goalies chest, because so many goals nowadays are scored off rebounds and deflections.

From all the above and after a lot of hours of practicing, i would use these PP units:

FIRST UNIT(umbrella format 1-2-2):

Kaberle

Eller-Kostitsyn

Pacioretty-Cole

SECOND UNIT(two pointmen format 2-2-1)

Subban-Weber

Plekanec-Desharnais

Bourque

I'd ask my GM to sign Steve Begin;

:D yesssssssssssssss

• 2 weeks later...

My personal philosofy on hockey coaching is all about stracture, tactics and inspiring.

In my teams stracture, i would prefer to ice 3 big, talanted lines with shared ice time and a 4th gritty, energy line, iced, in special occasions like penalty killing or taking key faceoffs. The three top lines are interchangable, and named as 1st, 2nd or 3rd, based on preferable matchups. This can be a huge advantage, in during the game, adjustments. I would also prefer a 9 hard working players model, than a star/primadonna player in my lineup. At Defense a would much approve some size and puck movement. My tandems would be chosen with a mixed skill logic of a puck mover, paired with a stay at home defensemen. I would rather not change these tandems, or shuffle them up, because i believe in chemistry and i would also want, each tandem to be used as a special team unit.

My special teams tactics, are well described a few posts above, but some special emphasis would be given at some elements like the two man forecheck, the defending the blue line, the non puck carrier movement on ice, and the spliting the opponents D movements, that i am fond of. Practising, practising, practising build champions, both individual and team practice. Team practise is exercising coaches tactics to perfection, and individual practise is elements in a players game, that the coach feels the player should practise and excell.

Motivating may be an over 50% factor, in winning a game. How often do we see a worse team win, and everybody admitting, that they wanted the win more? You have to inspire your players, have them sacrifize their ego to the team, play hard, clean, clever. Give 101% of their capability, because the other team is going to come out giving their 100% effort. You respect and love the game, and you create a spirit / mentality of hate losing. You compete hard and play your shift, like its your last one. You lose as a team and win as a team also, which is so important, because if you accomplish this kind of attitude from your players, they come to stick together, stand up for a team mate, protect each other on ice, work as a team.

If I were the coach, my choice for the first PP-unit would be:

Cole - Plecanek - Gomez

Kaberle - Diaz

second PP-unit:

Pacioretti - Desharnais - Eller

Subban - Gorges

... and it will rain goals .. on one or the other side :rolleyes:

If I were the coach, my choice for the first PP-unit would be:

Cole - Plecanek - Gomez

Kaberle - Diaz

second PP-unit:

Pacioretti - Desharnais - Eller

Subban - Gorges

... and it will rain goals .. on one or the other side :rolleyes:

Lets hope the raining goes on one side, and its not Price's side :D

I would have our line up so that it will benefit us for next season. I dont like having Darche or Blunden in the top 6. But a younger guy there instead.

Pacioretty-DD-Cole

Bourque-Plekanec-Leblanc

Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn

White-Noke-Blunden

Leblanc might be here full time next year, give him some good linemates and ice time. Our 1st and 3rd lines have been great this season; keep then together. White plays C between Darche and Blunden until Noke comes back, but realistically White will be a winger here long term, so play him on the wing. Of course this lineup in when White, Blunden, Noke and Moen come back.

Gorges-PK

Emelin-Diaz

Kaberle-Gill

We dont have many options on D, but this is probably out best lineup. Gorges-PK pretty much has to be out top pairing, Emelin-Diaz has worked well, Kabs IMO has to play, and Gill needs time if he is to be traded. I guess Weber draws in if and when Gill is traded.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived