The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tim Thomas

maddienmike

Tim not going to his teams visit to the White House was his right to choose,but to not make it clear before hand was selfish,he took the spotlight from the rest of the team.I have just read what some writers have written about him,I had no idea what his politics were and frankly I was not interested,until I read that he was so far to the right.It makes it clear why he thinks PK is a travesty to the game,he thinks that PK has forgotten his place.

He also thinks that Global warming is a sales pitch,I won't say what that makes me feel.

The first time I was aware of the problems the earth was facing was in 1956,before the man was even born,he wants to get his head out of his a**,and look at the real world.Now I don't care about how good he is for hockey as a man I have no respect.

GO HABS GO :angry: :angry:

He posted in/on his Facebook account:

" “I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties and Property of the People . . . Because I believe this, I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party.”

Really Tim? <_<

Kind of silly, but whatever... If he didn't want to go, fine. I see no reason not to take his comment that it isn't about party as truth. Maybe he does feel that the American government is out of control. He specifically mentions both parties as being at fault. It's kind of refreshing to hear an athlete mention such things, actually. Hopefully he backs up his comments by utilizing his huge salary to give back to those Americans who are in rough shape because of said government shortcomings.

Kind of silly, but whatever... If he didn't want to go, fine. I see no reason not to take his comment that it isn't about party as truth. Maybe he does feel that the American government is out of control. He specifically mentions both parties as being at fault. It's kind of refreshing to hear an athlete mention such things, actually. Hopefully he backs up his comments by utilizing his huge salary to give back to those Americans who are in rough shape because of said government shortcomings.

Agreed on all counts.

Maddie, I don't share Tim's views on global warming (or probably much else, from the sounds of it) but in fairness he does call out both parties and he DOES have a point. The American government really does seem to be digging their country into a hole, and during the election there's always more talk about so-and-so cheating on their wife or so-and-so secretly being a muslim than there is about actual policy.

If an athlete feels strongly about this and can make a few people think about an acutal problem facing their country, well I say power to him. In any case, I doubt Mr. Obama lost much sleep over it :P

He seems to be just like a lot of americans, disillusioned because when you really boil it down, the Republicans and Democrats are one in the same. I don't think he was doing this strictly out of protest against Obama, but more what the US Gov't has become, and that's a massive, greedy, inefficient, and power hungry bureaucracy, regardless of who's in charge. That being said, I think it's being blown out of proportion by both Thomas (in not going, which wasn't very tactful), and by the media (who are making it seem like the team has turned on him now). I don't think anyone involved with the team really cares at all.

Agreed on all counts.

Maddie, I don't share Tim's views on global warming (or probably much else, from the sounds of it) but in fairness he does call out both parties and he DOES have a point. The American government really does seem to be digging their country into a hole, and during the election there's always more talk about so-and-so cheating on their wife or so-and-so secretly being a muslim than there is about actual policy.

If an athlete feels strongly about this and can make a few people think about an acutal problem facing their country, well I say power to him. In any case, I doubt Mr. Obama lost much sleep over it :P

Agreed - what validates it for me is that he states the blame falls on both parties. He doesn't specifically rip on the Obama administration for anything, but calls out government in general. It's a shame it has become such a huge thing in the media, but oh well.

Agreed - what validates it for me is that he states the blame falls on both parties. He doesn't specifically rip on the Obama administration for anything, but calls out government in general. It's a shame it has become such a huge thing in the media, but oh well.

He brings up politics and then says he doesn't want to do this because of politics.

I absolutely can't stand bush, I would still go and respect the office. Its a team event, you go with the team.

According to Boston.com (The Boston Globe), the decision by Tim Thomas to not join his teammates at the White House on Monday may be the first step towards the Stanley Cup champions and their Conn Smythe Trophy winner eventually parting ways.

An article on the website notes that both GM Peter Chiarelli and Cam Neely were disappointed in Thomas' decision to decline the invitation in Washington. The 37-year-old's no-movement clause expires at the end of the season, and with the emergence of back-up Tuukka Rask, Thomas could bring a strong return on the trade market.

According to Boston.com (The Boston Globe), the decision by Tim Thomas to not join his teammates at the White House on Monday may be the first step towards the Stanley Cup champions and their Conn Smythe Trophy winner eventually parting ways.

An article on the website notes that both GM Peter Chiarelli and Cam Neely were disappointed in Thomas' decision to decline the invitation in Washington. The 37-year-old's no-movement clause expires at the end of the season, and with the emergence of back-up Tuukka Rask, Thomas could bring a strong return on the trade market.

I dunno, I just don't really see it. I'm not saying that he won't be traded (because like you said he's getting old, they have a great back-up and they could get a good return) but I just doubt that this will factor into it. My bet is that nobody will even remember this in a month.

This should not have been about politics, Thomas made it so with his statement,this should have been for his team mates.I absolutely agree that politics are of no use,or the people who supposedly run things,but I still think this was selfish.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

I doubt it. Tim Thomas and Boston will probably part ways at the end of the season when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Before then... I find it hard to believe. Especially since they'll be gearing up for another Cup run. Do they really want to consider throwing Rask between the pipes for the play-offs. Has he ever played a play-off game before?

I doubt it. Tim Thomas and Boston will probably part ways at the end of the season when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Before then... I find it hard to believe. Especially since they'll be gearing up for another Cup run. Do they really want to consider throwing Rask between the pipes for the play-offs. Has he ever played a play-off game before?

He's played 13 and went 7 and 6. .910 savepercentage.

Not bad, actually. :mellow: I still don't think they will part with Thomas until he becomes a free agent this summer.

Thomas isnt a free agent this summer, i dont know why some people seem to think he is? He's signed for 2 more years after this current one. He will, however, have his NTC dropped after this season, which i think is why there is speculation.

IMHO this "incident" would not be enough to trade any player. I can understand why some are upset, but on the other hand, I applaud anyone for taking a stand for something they believe in - whether I share their opinion or not. That said, this is not the first time Ive heard of Thomas being spoken poorly of by teammates, so I am beginning to believe there may be truth to the idea that he isnt necessarily liked in the room.

End of the day though, you could be the least liked player in the nhl: if you're winning Vezina and Conn Smythe trophies, your teammates, management and coaches wont care what is coming out of your mouth.

Thomas isnt a free agent this summer, i dont know why some people seem to think he is? He's signed for 2 more years after this current one. He will, however, have his NTC dropped after this season, which i think is why there is speculation.

IMHO this "incident" would not be enough to trade any player. I can understand why some are upset, but on the other hand, I applaud anyone for taking a stand for something they believe in - whether I share their opinion or not. That said, this is not the first time Ive heard of Thomas being spoken poorly of by teammates, so I am beginning to believe there may be truth to the idea that he isnt necessarily liked in the room.

End of the day though, you could be the least liked player in the nhl: if you're winning Vezina and Conn Smythe trophies, your teammates, management and coaches wont care what is coming out of your mouth.

Oh if he isn't then still play to win then trade him in the offseason.

Per nhlnumbers.com, he's signed through 12/13, so only one more season actually.

Per nhlnumbers.com, he's signed through 12/13, so only one more season actually.

haha. Look at me thinking it was 2011! :P

Still, not UFA this summer, next summer. Interesting to note that his cap hit is $5m next year but he will only be paid $3m real money. A cash-poor team looking for a lift in nets may indeed pay high for a guy like Tomas. If rask is up to the task, the ***** may indeed want to look at at least fielding some offers...

Some one said on HIO that what Thomas believes in is less Goverment and more personal freedom,that is anarchy,now there is a lot of people who won't agree with that,but if you read up anarchy on Wikapedia that is exactly what it is.

Nice one Timmy

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get all this fuss over Timmy Thomas.

In a society and even a league where people follow like sheep, you have one guy who stands up for his beliefs (whether it was right or wrong) and people dump all over him.

I say good on Timmy for actually having an opinion, beliefs and for sticking by them.

In a society and even a league where people follow like sheep, you have one guy who stands up for his beliefs (whether it was right or wrong) and people dump all over him.

I say good on Timmy for actually having an opinion, beliefs and for sticking by them.

I say bad on Tim for seeking attention through Facebook and then acting silly about it when the media poses questions. What does he expect, honestly? Does he think that when you're famous and you mention political things people are not going to inquire about it? He's just acting like a buffoon now with all this, "I'm not talking about it here," stuff, and then the media starts asking his teammates. :lol: He's going to start creating a distraction in the room... Although that's probably a good thing. I had no problem with the White House rejection, but now he needs to either give it up with the Facebook commentary or acknowledge it when the media asks him about it.

Agreed. Though I didnt get the anti nazi philosopher quote TSN had and how that related to Tim

I hope Thomas gets shipped out of Boston soon. Him, Ryder and Savard are the only players in those ugly jerseys that I have/had any respect for. The other two are gone...if Thomas goes, I would be able to say that i hate every single thing about that team. :D

On a sidenote...nothing wrong with Timmy taking a stand here. If this was some player criticizing the Iraq war or Canada not signing Kyoto; these same people in the media will be applauding him; even though that would be just as much a political opinion as this is.

I hope Thomas gets shipped out of Boston soon. Him, Ryder and Savard are the only players in those ugly jerseys that I have/had any respect for. The other two are gone...if Thomas goes, I would be able to say that i hate every single thing about that team. :D

On a sidenote...nothing wrong with Timmy taking a stand here. If this was some player criticizing the Iraq war or Canada not signing Kyoto; these same people in the media will be applauding him; even though that would be just as much a political opinion as this is.

I don't have a problem with him giving his opinions but when you make a public stand like he has, you have to be prepared to have the media talk about it and he seems to have an issue with that. If he doesn't want to be asked about it, or talk about it he should probably not discuss it in the first place.

Archived