The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week

BigTed3

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following players do you think will yield the best return if traded before the deadline?

• Hal Gill
    • Travis Moen
    • Chris Campoli
    • Yannick Weber

I picked Weber because he is young (23), an "offensive defenceman" (whcih some teams may need), and can play both forward and D. He is on pace for 7G and 16A, was a 3rd rounder (73rd), and IMHO, just has to get the TOI and guidance to improve.

I think he could fetch a high 2nd rounder, as teams already know what he can do, although he has some detractors.

Not sure on Gill or Moen.

Gill is viable as a penalty killer with great experience and really turns up the shot blocks for the playoffs. However his age is questionable.

Moen on the other hand has been a huge surprise this season in the goal scoring area. Has good size, good defensive ability, but Imo doesnt drop the gloves very often and could hit a little more often. Also wondering about teams thinking he may not have the same amount of offense on a team like theirs.

So id say its a tie, Gill and Moen could fetch us each a 2nd round pick.

Weber because he's young, will be an RFA, and will likely improve in time.

Gill is an aged defencemen who has dropped off so much since 2 seasons ago. Moen is just a bottom six grinder who's UFA this summer. And then Campoli is the guy who couldn't find a team that wanted him all summer long and hasn't done anything this season to change GM's minds.

I agree that it's a tough call between Moen and Gill. It could go either way but I'll lean towards Gill slightly because he

1. Is a D man

2. Has a better resume as a playoff performer

D man just tend to be more in demand this time of year, with reports suggesting Carolina is asking for not one but two 1st round picks (or a 1st and a good prospect) for each of Gleason, Allen, or our old friend Spacek. The Oilers are said to have been getting a lot of calls about Peckham and Sutton. If these guys are in demand, then the same can likely be said about Gill and Campoli. I doubt any of these names go for something as ludicrous as two firsts, but GM's do stupid things at deadline time when they get desperate, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone overpay for a Gill, Sutton, or Allen.

I agree that it's a tough call between Moen and Gill. It could go either way but I'll lean towards Gill slightly because he

1. Is a D man

2. Has a better resume as a playoff performer

D man just tend to be more in demand this time of year, with reports suggesting Carolina is asking for not one but two 1st round picks (or a 1st and a good prospect) for each of Gleason, Allen, or our old friend Spacek. The Oilers are said to have been getting a lot of calls about Peckham and Sutton. If these guys are in demand, then the same can likely be said about Gill and Campoli. I doubt any of these names go for something as ludicrous as two firsts, but GM's do stupid things at deadline time when they get desperate, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone overpay for a Gill, Sutton, or Allen.

I'm not sure about that, Moen has a pretty good playoff resume and a good league wide (fan wise anyway) perception as being very key during Anaheim's Cup run.

Either way, I'm going Moen easily. He can play any role, plays 5 on 5, great on the PK, he's on pace for over 15 goals, he's big, tough. He's much more versatile than Gill at this stage.

As for Carolina's asking price on DMen, if they get a first for Spacek I'm probably going to drive off a bridge.

I'm not sure about that, Moen has a pretty good playoff resume and a good league wide (fan wise anyway) perception as being very key during Anaheim's Cup run.

Either way, I'm going Moen easily. He can play any role, plays 5 on 5, great on the PK, he's on pace for over 15 goals, he's big, tough. He's much more versatile than Gill at this stage.

As for Carolina's asking price on DMen, if they get a first for Spacek I'm probably going to drive off a bridge.

As I said, I think it's close between the two... you only need one taker, so there's no way of knowing what the best offer will be, even though the average offer may be similar for the two. I see Gill as having the better playoff pedigree just because what he did was more recent and because he did it twice in two season and on teams that got more exposure than a West Coast team. All the things you mentioned are reasons why Moen should get a better offer than Gill come summer, but as a rental I think Gill's value will be a touch higher.

And as for Spacek, if he gets a first then we may well be able to re-build the Habs in one season. I'd be right behind you on that bridge!

Less than 48 hours to vote. Does your opinion change now that Gleason is signed and off the market?

As the defensemen market is rapidly declining value, a team like Montreal with at least 4 mediocre defenders up for sale (Gill, Campoli, Weber, Kaberle) is going to be benefited, the most.

Archived