The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Evgeni Malkin

Beast

large_evgeni_malkin_penguins.jpg

• 1 month later...

First time for Malkin,50th goal just scored here in the Pitts/Philly game.

* Last game of the regular season.....way to cool,way ta go Malkin.B)

• 1 month later...

Alexei Emelin world champion!!! Congratulations!!!

GP: 10

G+A: 2+2=4

PIM: 2

+/-: +13

M/G: 18:35

Great game all players! ..and Yevgeni Malkin is the man of the tournament. After winning gold with Russia, he was also named MVP and Best Forward of the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.

Where was he during the NHL playoffs?

Pens could've used the Malkin we saw during the WC. The WC's are a much bigger thing for European and Russian players. People in Europe and Russia are glued to their TV's when they're on, most Canadians could care less. I watch it when I can, but don't make a point to watch it, like I do with the NHL playoffs(regardless if the habs are in it or not).

We need a guy like Emelin, solid defensive tough D man. I wouldn't mind signing him long term.

1st full season, so a lot can change-good or bad. I'd like to see more of him before the habs commit long term. For a rookie, I did like what I saw from him this season, started slow, but settled in well as the season went on.

Where was he during the NHL playoffs?

Pens could've used the Malkin we saw during the WC. The WC's are a much bigger thing for European and Russian players. People in Europe and Russia are glued to their TV's when they're on, most Canadians could care less. I watch it when I can, but don't make a point to watch it, like I do with the NHL playoffs(regardless if the habs are in it or not).

Where was Sidney Crosby? Oh right, completely losing his cool and taking penalties, yapping at the referees, and costing his team momentum.

Malkin is a former Conn Smythe Trophy winner, he knows how to produce in the playoffs. But it seems like every year, we go through this song and dance with European players. As if they have to produce EVERY YEAR in order to ward off some absurd stereotype that they don't care about the NHL playoffs. As if it's even remotely defensible for each player to have to represent an entire nation in a 7-game sample.

Malkin powered the Penguins to a Stanley Cup a few years ago.

Datsyuk did the same with the Red Wings in 2007-08.

Kovalchuk has been a clutch performer for the Devils this year.

At what point do we leave nationality at the door and focus on the game itself? Joe Thornton routinely comes up short in the playoffs every year, but I don't see anyone rushing to condemn all Canadian centers for not having what it takes to succeed in the postseason.

Where was Sidney Crosby? Oh right, completely losing his cool and taking penalties, yapping at the referees, and costing his team momentum.

Malkin is a former Conn Smythe Trophy winner, he knows how to produce in the playoffs. But it seems like every year, we go through this song and dance with European players. As if they have to produce EVERY YEAR in order to ward off some absurd stereotype that they don't care about the NHL playoffs. As if it's even remotely defensible for each player to have to represent an entire nation in a 7-game sample.

Malkin powered the Penguins to a Stanley Cup a few years ago.

Datsyuk did the same with the Red Wings in 2007-08.

Kovalchuk has been a clutch performer for the Devils this year.

At what point do we leave nationality at the door and focus on the game itself? Joe Thornton routinely comes up short in the playoffs every year, but I don't see anyone rushing to condemn all Canadian centers for not having what it takes to succeed in the postseason.

I find that Malkin's game improves any time Crosby is injured and his game regresses every time Crosby returns.

Do you think the Penguins would have went deeper in the playoffs if Crosby never returned?

Do you think that Malkin would have been more effective in the playoffs if Crosby never returned?

I find that Malkin's game improves any time Crosby is injured and his game regresses every time Crosby returns.

Do you think the Penguins would have went deeper in the playoffs if Crosby never returned?

Do you think that Malkin would have been more effective in the playoffs if Crosby never returned?

Both questions are very possible. Goaltending & defence did in the Penguins even if the goalie at the other end sucked.

Guest habs1952

Yes and yes. I agree that for whatever reason, whenever Crosby returns, it appears Malkin's play regresses. Maybe it's just because the Pens offense revolves around Crosby and Malkin has to play second fiddle to him. I certainly think you'll see Malkin opt for free agency when he gets the chance just to get out of Crosby's shadow.

Yes and yes. I agree that for whatever reason, whenever Crosby returns, it appears Malkin's play regresses. Maybe it's just because the Pens offense revolves around Crosby and Malkin has to play second fiddle to him. I certainly think you'll see Malkin opt for free agency when he gets the chance just to get out of Crosby's shadow.

I agree with this. It's always about sid. For long stretches malkin has carried the pens, but he does regress when sid comes back. The play no longer revolves around him when sid returns.

I'm surprised he hasn't considered the market.

I agree (and most analysts have noted the same) that Geno steps up his game with Crosby out. But I think any team would have been foolish to have kept Sid out just for that. The Pens lost because their goaltending and D was atrocious, and whether Sid was there or not wasn't the issue.

Malkin won his Conn Smythe during the same playoff run that Crosby was healthy and productive for the Penguins. I don't think Crosby has much to do with it. Malkin just didn't have a good postseason this year. It's hardly a reason to write him off or suddenly claim that he's not interested in winning.

Malkin won his Conn Smythe during the same playoff run that Crosby was healthy and productive for the Penguins. I don't think Crosby has much to do with it. Malkin just didn't have a good postseason this year. It's hardly a reason to write him off or suddenly claim that he's not interested in winning.

Ya, I don't think anyone here is suggesting that!

Good point about the Conn Smythe though....

That's an interesting prediction! I could see that coming true but if he becomes a free agent, I think it will be after the Pens trade him. If he's reluctant to sign they'll want to trade him at the deadline for a boat load of assets!!!

That team has to lose one of it's centers.