The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Brad Staubitz

I've always been of firm believer of protecting your team mates. If a team runs your good players you need someone to run their good players. If it takes a good fourth line of rough and tumble players, who can still play the game with some effectiveness, I'm all for it.

That's the way hockey always used to be played for decades B)

It's only news on this forum?

Hey Manatee. I appreciate your response. I think I usually agree with your posts. I thought about your point with the powerplay goals before I wrote my post. Those years are still fresh in my mind too. I sure did like the extra powerplays at the time but it came with the cost of being ridiculed by the entire NHL and it's fans for being a dirty team that can't back up their actions on the ice. It certainly left me ashamed of the Habs. The shame that fans felt must be nothing compared to how the team must feel knowing that the league thinks they're weak and knowing there is nothing they can do to prove them wrong. To have no choice but to get punched in the head after every wistle and have to respond by saying thank you sir, may I have another. For me this can't be the base on which you build a cup contender. You need the respect of your opponent and if you can't have it then you must take it.

Something else I would like to stress and this isn't directed at you specifically Manatee, it's kind of a reminder to everyone. It seems that even some of the mods need reminding that this team we watch every week isn't an EA Sports NHL video game! If someone gets smoked out on the ice by a check or a fist or whatever, you can't just reset the game and ice the same team, that guy is gone and he's in pain. You can't say oh well, are guy just got a concussion from being hit from behind. Nobody retaliate because we will miss a powerplay chance. NO....you retaliate and screw the powerplay chance!

Personally this is the direction I think the NHL is going in and I don't want the Habs to wake up three years from now and find that they have missed the train.

I know that Staubitz isn't the ideal guy and I would rather have a Clarkson or a Neil but Montreal doesn't sign guys of that caliber and they certainly don't make the slightest effort to draft them. So the Canadien's only option is to sign a goon. It must be a choice the Habs made years ago and are comfortable with?

Also, after the lockout refereeing was so bad that it was right off the chart. Refs didn't know what to call and the players didn't know where the limit was. The refs are perfect in today's game compared to then as sad as that sounds. So teams were getting 12 powerplays per game each on a regular basis. The best powerplay teams went to the top of the league. That's the only reason why a team that couldn't score a goal 5 on 5 to save it's life was able to finish 1st in the east.

Good post. I don't agree 100% with everything in it, mind you, but great post all the same :P

And I do get what you're saying. I'm human, after all, and as a fan it's a lot of fun to watch guys on the team stick up for one another. I'm not so sure that it will go that far towards preventing injuries, but it certainly adds to the entertainment value and like you said it's fun when you can be really proud of the team.

I have nothing against Staubitz, either. Frankly we're a little short of NHL-ready bodies right now in any case (especially if our coach ever decides to ice four lines of forwards <_<) and I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to another contract next year if the price is right. We need someone to fill out the fourth line (and to be a healthy scratch) and Brad is as good as the next guy.

This whole debate, I think, started when it was suggested that we sign him to a multi-year deal. This I'm against. To me you sign players based on one thing only - their ability to play hockey. Stuff like sticking up for your teammates is a great bonus that will elevate one similarly skilled guy over another, but it's not the first thing I'd go after. Because as fun as it is to watch the team come together and stand up for themselves, it's even more fun to watch them win. I'll also add that a winning locker room often tends to come together and stick up for each other more than a losing one.

Good post. I don't agree 100% with everything in it, mind you, but great post all the same :P

And I do get what you're saying. I'm human, after all, and as a fan it's a lot of fun to watch guys on the team stick up for one another. I'm not so sure that it will go that far towards preventing injuries, but it certainly adds to the entertainment value and like you said it's fun when you can be really proud of the team.

I have nothing against Staubitz, either. Frankly we're a little short of NHL-ready bodies right now in any case (especially if our coach ever decides to ice four lines of forwards <_<) and I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to another contract next year if the price is right. We need someone to fill out the fourth line (and to be a healthy scratch) and Brad is as good as the next guy.

This whole debate, I think, started when it was suggested that we sign him to a multi-year deal. This I'm against. To me you sign players based on one thing only - their ability to play hockey. Stuff like sticking up for your teammates is a great bonus that will elevate one similarly skilled guy over another, but it's not the first thing I'd go after. Because as fun as it is to watch the team come together and stand up for themselves, it's even more fun to watch them win. I'll also add that a winning locker room often tends to come together and stick up for each other more than a losing one.

It's funny how we can all love the same team and yet we all have our own ideas of what the best direction is for the team to take at any given moment. I agree with your whole post here so we must have found some middle ground B)

There's no way Staubitz gets a multi year contract. Unless Montreal has not learned there lesson? <_<

You are right. That's fair. It is a stretch. Probably not as big of a stretch as saying 99.999999% of our injuries wouldn't have been prevented. Both statements are completely unprovable. It would be like trying to prove god does or does not exist. Unless you put an enforcer on the team for a year. Account for how many injuries there were and to whom they were delivered, then travel back in time and you don't sign the enforcer and you count up all the injuries again.

While I'm to lazy to go back and document each injury we have suffered this year, I cannot think of one single example where the injury could have been prevented by having brad staubitz in the lineup. If you can give me some examples and change my mind, feel free.

Also, just to be clear. The Chara scenario I suggested was just that, a scenario. I don't necessarily know which situations having an enforcer would effect but I'm confident it would have effected some of them. The only shed of truth I can point to is the Habs. Look at how they played before they got Staubitz and look at the way they play now. They went from being a ringette team to being a hockey team over night! What changed? Why did they stop playing scared? What makes them think they should have permission to go out there and play there game all of a sudden? Did something significant change? Is it because Nokelainen is back in the line up?

I see the same terrible team on the ice with brad in the lineup than the 10 games before we got him. If "their" game is to go out and get outshot, outplayed and lose every game, then i think someone should take their permission away. Fact of the matter is while yes it has provided us with an entertaining fight or two, having Brad in the lineup has failed to help us do the most important thing, win hockey games.