The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Patrick Holland

From Hockey's Future:

Holland is a late-blooming 7th round draft pick that can simply do it all and has improved more than any Calgary Flames prospect over the last two years. The quick skating forward can play all three forward positions while playing on both the power play and penalty killing units for the Tri-city Americans in the WHL. He possesses a quick release and playmaking abilities that makes his high scoring teammates play that much better. The third-year forward has surpassed last season's offensive numbers by scoring 23 goals along with 73 assists and a plus-37 rating in 62 WHL games.

Holland has the determination and work ethic to continue to increase his development at the professional level, next season in Hamilton. He will need to add around 20 pounds of muscle mass this summer to play with his new-found physicality at the AHL level. This talented forward could turn out to be the steal of the Cammalleri- Bourque trade between Calgary and Montreal.

Source

While interesting to read, I generally don't put much stake in player profiles. That last sentence sounds good though :)

24 goals, 77 assists for 101 points in 66 games. Impressive. Seems like a playmaker type. Although a lot of his points should have to do with his team. The Americans have 3 of the top 6 point scorers in the WHL (including Holland, and the guy with the most points in the WHL, Brendan Shinnimin). Should make next years Hamilton squad.

24 goals, 77 assists for 101 points in 66 games. Impressive. Seems like a playmaker type. Although a lot of his points should have to do with his team. The Americans have 3 of the top 6 point scorers in the WHL (including Holland, and the guy with the most points in the WHL, Brendan Shinnimin). Should make next years Hamilton squad.

Next years Hamilton's team is going to be astonishing. Holland, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Dietz, Kristo, maybe a pick or two from this years draft. There is some cleaning up space to do down at Hamilton...

i wish we had gainey.. sad, but the man had a demeanour that pg thought he could just assume.. when he hasnt done with gains has done. but this guy i like, im hoping for a calder cup next year get the young guys a winning attitude.. look what it did for the sens who i used to hate because i never saw anything good from them, they're warming up to me now though.

Holland signs ELC

The Montreal Canadiens signed forward Patrick Holland to a three-year contract on Wednesday.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Holland is the prospect the Canadiens acquired from the Calgary Flames on January 12, along with Rene Bourque and a second round draft pick in 2013, in return for Michael Cammalleri, Karri Ramo and a fifth round draft pick in 2012.

In 66 games with the Tri-City Americans of the Western Hockey League, Holland ranks sixth in the league and third on the Americans with 24 goals and 77 assists. He ranks first in the WHL in assists with 77 and tied for second in the league in shorthanded assists at five.

A native of Lethbridge, Alberta, the 20-year-old Holland has recorded 62 goals and 137 assists in 197 games since his junior debut with Tri-City in 2008-09.

He was drafted by the Calgary Flames in the seventh round, 193rd overall at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Holland was acquired from the Flames last January 12 with Rene Bourque and a second round draft pick in 2013, in return for Michael Cammalleri, Karri Ramo and a fifth round draft pick in 2012.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldogs/article/827726--bulldogs-holland-has-the-brain-of-a-doctor-the-touch-of-a-surgeon-and-the-will-for-bigger-and-better-things

A interesting article on Patrick Holland, who has been impressive with the bulldogs.

He's a really smart guy, and wasn't very good when he started playing junior.

However, he started bringing some of those smarts onto the ice, and it has worked big time for him.

He also has really interesting tweets, if anyone would like to read them.

https://twitter.com/PattyShwayz

http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldogs/article/827726--bulldogs-holland-has-the-brain-of-a-doctor-the-touch-of-a-surgeon-and-the-will-for-bigger-and-better-things

A interesting article on Patrick Holland, who has been impressive with the bulldogs.

He's a really smart guy, and wasn't very good when he started playing junior.

However, he started bringing some of those smarts onto the ice, and it has worked big time for him.

He also has really interesting tweets, if anyone would like to read them.

https://twitter.com/PattyShwayz

Does he not think that he'll make enough money where he wont have to work when he retires... doesn't show how confident he is in himself... he shouldn't be worried about that!

someone keep me up to date on how he does in hamilton the season

More impressed with him than I thought I would be. Didn't really have much regard for the junior numbers, especially with the team he was on so I wanted to see how he translated it to the pro game and so far so good. Smart, good hockey sense. Don't really see a top 6 future but could easily see a good NHLer.

More impressed with him than I thought I would be. Didn't really have much regard for the junior numbers, especially with the team he was on so I wanted to see how he translated it to the pro game and so far so good. Smart, good hockey sense. Don't really see a top 6 future but could easily see a good NHLer.

I think in order for him to be a good nhler he'd have to be a top 6 guy... btw a couple years ago i made a post stating that there wasn't many teams who had legit top 6 forwards on their top two lines and it's still the case.. I mean look at pitsburg other then crosby, malkin, neal, and kunitz is dupius a top 6 guy nooo he just plays with a stellar linemate. And imo Holland can be better then Dupuis and as i said earlier having a guy like Holland on the third line would only benefit you if you were going with three scoring lines instead of two.. but slapping Holland on a line with let's say max talbot and travis moen would be silly.. you have two gritty defensive players who can shut down opposition then you have the weak link Holland on that line.. sure he's smart and has great offense but i've seen highlights of him and he's not a defensive marvel that's for sure and against top line guys? No i wouldn't do that guys would force the puck to Holland so they can take advantage of the lesser of the three. Holland however would excel with guys like Patrick Marlaue and Havlat a line that is pushing offensively and not relied on to defend as much as a third line would be.

I think in order for him to be a good nhler he'd have to be a top 6 guy... btw a couple years ago i made a post stating that there wasn't many teams who had legit top 6 forwards on their top two lines and it's still the case.. I mean look at pitsburg other then crosby, malkin, neal, and kunitz is dupius a top 6 guy nooo he just plays with a stellar linemate. And imo Holland can be better then Dupuis and as i said earlier having a guy like Holland on the third line would only benefit you if you were going with three scoring lines instead of two.. but slapping Holland on a line with let's say max talbot and travis moen would be silly.. you have two gritty defensive players who can shut down opposition then you have the weak link Holland on that line.. sure he's smart and has great offense but i've seen highlights of him and he's not a defensive marvel that's for sure and against top line guys? No i wouldn't do that guys would force the puck to Holland so they can take advantage of the lesser of the three. Holland however would excel with guys like Patrick Marlaue and Havlat a line that is pushing offensively and not relied on to defend as much as a third line would be.

I disagree on a few levels, first of all I don't see high production at the NHL level, in fact I'd be quite surprised to see him play in an NHL top 6 consistently, secondly, I don't know what kind of profile you look for in a checking line player other than players who bang and crash which is fine but quite often the best defensive players/3rd liners are guys with a very high hockey IQ and a little bit of offense. You may have seen some highlights of his defense somewhere and have decided he's not a marvel but watching him I like his hockey IQ and I think there's a chance that will play well in a bottom 6 in the future. Not to imply he's anywhere near a finished product but that he has a chance to grow into that role because of his high hockey sense.

Also, the last part of your post is hard to understand. If he was on a line with 2 random checkers (Moen and Talbot) he would be the weak link somehow and the opposition would force the puck to Holland because he's the lesser of the 3? Yet you advocate the concept of him playing with 2 highly skilled players in Marleau and Havlat, as if the opposition wouldn't focus even more of funneling the puck to Holland. If you're saying he's the weak link on that line physically it would likely be true but why would other teams try and force the puck to him in that scenario?

I suppose other than not understanding that logic we either disagree on how to build a checking line or we disagree on what Holland will become. I like a checking line with balance, not 3 random run around guys, sure a banger and crasher is fine but I like a smart, effective 2-way player there too. Holland looked good killing penalties at the junior level and was trusted in a lot of situations. Hopefully he translates it to the pro level.

I think you're probably underrating his defensive potential. He generates most of his game from strong hockey sense.

I disagree on a few levels, first of all I don't see high production at the NHL level, in fact I'd be quite surprised to see him play in an NHL top 6 consistently, secondly, I don't know what kind of profile you look for in a checking line player other than players who bang and crash which is fine but quite often the best defensive players/3rd liners are guys with a very high hockey IQ and a little bit of offense. You may have seen some highlights of his defense somewhere and have decided he's not a marvel but watching him I like his hockey IQ and I think there's a chance that will play well in a bottom 6 in the future. Not to imply he's anywhere near a finished product but that he has a chance to grow into that role because of his high hockey sense.

Also, the last part of your post is hard to understand. If he was on a line with 2 random checkers (Moen and Talbot) he would be the weak link somehow and the opposition would force the puck to Holland because he's the lesser of the 3? Yet you advocate the concept of him playing with 2 highly skilled players in Marleau and Havlat, as if the opposition wouldn't focus even more of funneling the puck to Holland. If you're saying he's the weak link on that line physically it would likely be true but why would other teams try and force the puck to him in that scenario?

I suppose other than not understanding that logic we either disagree on how to build a checking line or we disagree on what Holland will become. I like a checking line with balance, not 3 random run around guys, sure a banger and crasher is fine but I like a smart, effective 2-way player there too. Holland looked good killing penalties at the junior level and was trusted in a lot of situations. Hopefully he translates it to the pro level.

I think you're probably underrating his defensive potential. He generates most of his game from strong hockey sense.

What i had said is that a second line is out there to put the puck in the net and a third line is there to keep the puck out.. well if i was building a hockey team that's how i would build my time.

What i had said is that a second line is out there to put the puck in the net and a third line is there to keep the puck out.. well if i was building a hockey team that's how i would build my time.

I don't disagree that's one way to build a team but my point is I envision Holland a smart, 2-way player with strong defensive ability. I suppose we disagree on what he will become not how to build a team/line.

I don't disagree that's one way to build a team but my point is I envision Holland a smart, 2-way player with strong defensive ability. I suppose we disagree on what he will become not how to build a team/line.

Well ill let you know where im coming from.. the way i see it is i don't think he'll be a great goal scorer but i do think he'll be an awesome set up man and im not judging this on his single 84 assist season.. it's because we have so many talented players coming up that he'll find it hard not to score make plays :P and I see him being able to set up players better on a second line as opposed to the third.. and what i was saying about albot and moen is that Holland would be the weakest when it comes to defense but with marleua and havlat he would not have to worry about being as great defensively because the line will be most likely forechecking and spending time in the offensive end.

• 11 months later...

Holland had one goal and one assist in four games and was plus-4., in Hamilton, before this call up.

Archived