The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week

BigTed3

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been the Habs MVP this season?

• Carey Price
    • P.K. Subban
    • Tomas Plekanec
    • Erik Cole
    • David Desharnais
    • Max Pacioretty

Who is the MVP of this season?

- Has Carey done enough to earn that honor?

- Have you been impressed by Subban leading a depleted D corps?

- Is it Plekanec and his two-way play, anchoring a stellar penalty kill?

- Did Cole's clutch performance and grit impress you?

- What about Pacman leading the team in goals and points?

- Or was it breakout David Desharnais who really led that 1st line to its success?

As usual, you have one week to vote.

We could add Josh to that list with his stellar play coming off knee surgery and giving us those top pairing minutes.

All worthy candidates,, but my vote would have to be Max's amazing year, following his near career ending injury.

We could add Josh to that list with his stellar play coming off knee surgery and giving us those top pairing minutes.

All worthy candidates,, but my vote would have to be Max's amazing year, following his near career ending injury.

Thought about adding Josh to the list, but figured we had to draw the line somewhere. No doubt he's been an important part of this team though.

I read this poll this morning, but ATT, I really didn't know who to choose. Each of them has every right to be the team MVP. Now that I have had time to think about it, I have to go with P.K.

The reason being, is that if you removed Eric, Max, or DD from the top line, I believe, that the line (and conversly each of them) would not produce the numbers they are now putting up. IMHO, Carey (although being very good) has not "stolen" enough games to warrant the MVP title, but much of that could be attributed to the defence (it would be interesting to find out Carey's GAA, SV%, and SOG, when Josh and PK are in front of him). Pleks gives his all every game, but (after doing much math) he has been on the ice for 45 goals against at even strenght, however, he hasn't had the wingers to produce the numbers.

Therefore, by process of elimination, I have to go with PK. Here's the reason. He plays hard every game, plays against the opposition's top line at even strenght, kills penalties, plays the PP, and plays top minutes every game. He's 22 years old and (as they used to say) will reach his full potential around age 24-27.

Ted,,,,if you had included Josh,,,I would have voted for him, ahead of PK, as he is invaluable to the team, and if the "powers that be" had any sense, Josh would be included for the Norris voting, but they only look at the Pts. instead of BKS, Hits, etc. :angry:

Guest habs1952

As valuable as each team member on the list is to the Habs I think this team would have been lucky to win 15 games this year without PK.

Interesting arguments thus far... feel free to refute what's been said and convince everyone about your choice. Will point out that the guy who was the de facto choice for this earlier in the season (and who's won all but one Molson Cup segment) has yet to garner a vote. Is this because Carey's not stealing games, because he's only valuable if we turn his saves into wins, or because we're taking what he does for granted?

As valuable as each team member on the list is to the Habs I think this team would have been lucky to win 15 games this year without PK.

Not that I disagree with him being MVP but it's hard to imagine him (or anyone) being worth 13+ wins on their own.

Interesting arguments thus far... feel free to refute what's been said and convince everyone about your choice. Will point out that the guy who was the de facto choice for this earlier in the season (and who's won all but one Molson Cup segment) has yet to garner a vote. Is this because Carey's not stealing games, because he's only valuable if we turn his saves into wins, or because we're taking what he does for granted?

Don't confuse us with your logc Ted. :P

BTW,,,how much in GHC bucks do we I win. :D

As do I. There are several deserving candidates, but he just blew away my expectations this year, especially considering the injury he came back from.

Leads the team in goals and points, has consistently produced after a rocky start that was understandable due to last year's injury and the three-game suspension. Since then, he's been a horse every night. Cole and Desharnais have been good, don't get me wrong, and Subban has had probably the most difficult task this year with Markov's prolonged absence, but Patches earns my vote for not only producing, but raising elements of his game that I thought were slightly lacking last season. Shot needs work? Done. Compete level not enough in the corners? Addressed. Too quick to pull the trigger on pass or shot? Solved.

Subban in my mind. When evaluating who the MVP is, I try to imagine the player getting injured in the first game and being out for the season, and imagining the impact. I think if Pacioretty gets injured on game 1, we never trade Cammalleri, and we run a first line of Cammalleri-Desharnais-Cole all year. I think that would be adequate, I'd be skeptical of Cammalleri being as effective as Pacioretty (he might have scored 25-30 but Cole and Desharnais would have less points), but I don't think it would be a scenario where there'a a really significant drop in wins or goals for, and we probably wouldn't have traded AK (who would have provided a bit more scoring post-deadline). Don't take that as me ragging on Pacioretty though, he's a stud and one of the best forward prospects (not really a prospect anymore I guess) we've had in years. Also, as Weep mentioned it appears he worked hard all summer and addressed some slight issues in his game last year, and looks now to be a 30 goal, 65+ point forward.

As for Subban, without him we'd be absolutely screwed. Josh Gorges would literally have been be our only top 4 D until later on (maybe around December?) Emelin started to progress. Imagine how different this year would be if we had Gorges-Spacek, or Gorges-Emelin, or Gorges-Diaz as our first pairing. It would be awful. Spacek would probably never have been traded (the jury's still out on whether or not that's a good or bad thing), Gill would never have been traded, it would be a very different picture. In my mind, Subban is a top pairing defenseman, and Gorges is a good second pairing guy. After that, besides Markov we don't have anyone who has been a real lock of a top 4 D, and Markov has only played for the last couple of weeks. I think if we didn't have Subban this year, we'd be a lock in second last in the NHL. I don't know if we'd be worse than the joke of a season Columbus had, but something makes me think we would be close. Not to mention the PP, even with how bad it's been, imagine if we had Weber and Spacek anchoring it? Yikes.

Gorges-Emelin

Spacek-Diaz

Gill-Weber

That would likely have been our D all year. That's horrifically bad without Subban. Replace Spacek with Kaberle and it's even worse.

Subban in my mind. When evaluating who the MVP is, I try to imagine the player getting injured in the first game and being out for the season, and imagining the impact. I think if Pacioretty gets injured on game 1, we never trade Cammalleri, and we run a first line of Cammalleri-Desharnais-Cole all year. I think that would be adequate, I'd be skeptical of Cammalleri being as effective as Pacioretty (he might have scored 25-30 but Cole and Desharnais would have less points), but I don't think it would be a scenario where there'a a really significant drop in wins or goals for, and we probably wouldn't have traded AK (who would have provided a bit more scoring post-deadline). Don't take that as me ragging on Pacioretty though, he's a stud and one of the best forward prospects (not really a prospect anymore I guess) we've had in years. Also, as Weep mentioned it appears he worked hard all summer and addressed some slight issues in his game last year, and looks now to be a 30 goal, 65+ point forward.

As for Subban, without him we'd be absolutely screwed. Josh Gorges would literally have been be our only top 4 D until later on (maybe around December?) Emelin started to progress. Imagine how different this year would be if we had Gorges-Spacek, or Gorges-Emelin, or Gorges-Diaz as our first pairing. It would be awful. Spacek would probably never have been traded (the jury's still out on whether or not that's a good or bad thing), Gill would never have been traded, it would be a very different picture. In my mind, Subban is a top pairing defenseman, and Gorges is a good second pairing guy. After that, besides Markov we don't have anyone who has been a real lock of a top 4 D, and Markov has only played for the last couple of weeks. I think if we didn't have Subban this year, we'd be a lock in second last in the NHL. I don't know if we'd be worse than the joke of a season Columbus had, but something makes me think we would be close. Not to mention the PP, even with how bad it's been, imagine if we had Weber and Spacek anchoring it? Yikes.

Gorges-Emelin

Spacek-Diaz

Gill-Weber

That would likely have been our D all year. That's horrifically bad without Subban. Replace Spacek with Kaberle and it's even worse.

I voted for Cole, although it was very close for jsut about all of the guys listed there. If we judge the MVP by your criterion, though, I'd have to say that you've convinced me to change to PK

Guest habs1952

Not that I disagree with him being MVP but it's hard to imagine him (or anyone) being worth 13+ wins on their own.

I may have pushed it a little but our D has been bad with him. I can't imagine what the D would have been like without him.

My vote goes to Subban. I love seeing the credit some of these other guys are getting, but as has been mentioned, Subban is the guy I think is most necessary to this team being able to compete right now. Carey's been stellar this season, albeit I don't feel like he's stolen games the way he did last year. And while a goalie is invariably one of your team's most important players, I believe we've solidified our back-up spot compared to last season and I'm not sure Carey has been as impressive as in the past. As for Max, he's undoubtedly been our best scorer, likely best player, and has filled a role that we haven't been able to fill in a long time. That said, I don't think he provides the value that Subban brings.

If you take Subban out of that depleted D corps, you don't have one single guy left who qualifies as a top 3 guy. You don't have one single guy left who can log the big minutes and give you something at both ends of the ice. I've been very very impressed with the season Gorges has had, but at the end of the day, he doesn't bring much to the offensive side of the equation nor is he a guy who has size or really takes over a game. He's very good at what he does, but he's not a guy you can lean on to lead your D. The rest of the D this year has been made of guys who are young, guys who are defensively-sound but lacking in offensive skill, and guys who have some offensive ability but who have proven to be huge defensive liabilities. And then of course there's been the Markov fiasco, which hasn't quite sorted itself out yet. Subban's the only guy in that bunch who brings a complete game, and he's done just that over the past 3-4 months. His game has matured, he's been a huge reason why the PP has picked things up in the past few weeks (even before Markov's return), and he's playing 23-24 minutes a night, mostly against the other team's top lines. Has he single-handedly won us points? I don't know if there's a guy on the team we can say that about this season, but without a doubt, Subban's the guy who solidifies that entire line-up and the guy who we'd be the most hard-pressed to replace.

Archived