The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Serge Savard

Forever_Habs10

Serge Savard ...returns to the team in an advisory role

Savard_Serge_DG_0001.jpg

The Montreal Canadiens' reset didn't stop with GM Pierre Gauthier's exit.

Hall of Fame player and former GM Bob Gainey, who chose Gauthier to replace him in 2010, has been fired from his advisory role, owner Geoff Molson said Thursday.

Bob Gainey was a player, coach, GM and advisor for the Montreal Canadiens.

Serge Savard, also a Hall of Famer and former Canadiens GM, will help choose Gauthier's replacement, Molson said.

The decision to fired Gauthier was announced on Thursday morning. Montreal is at the bottom of the Eastern Conference a season after taking the eventual champion Boston Bruins to Game 7 of their playoff series.

"You cannot simply make the playoffs," Molson said in French during his announcement. "We must aim much higher."

Molson added that, because the Canadiens were recently eliminated from postseason contention, the time was right to announce the moves.

Earlier this season, Gauthier fired coach Jacques Martin and replaced him with Randy Cunneyworth, igniting a controversy in Quebec because Cunneyworth doesn't speak French. The Canadiens also traded Mike Cammalleri during a game—pulling the forward off the ice and putting him in a cab to collect his belongings.

Read more: http://aol.sportingn...s#ixzz1qXmXHgMi

I like this move.

2 reasons:

1- Proven business and hockey man

2- Speaks French and allows the hiring of an English GM under the disguise that he's overseeing things.

I like having a guy in place who knows what he's doing and whose been a GM in the league before. I like Savard. I didn't care for his opinion on the french-english debate, but other than that, he'll be a good advisor to Molson.

• 2 weeks later...

Serge savard was one of our better GM since the habs glory days.

Although, I think like BG and PG, he isn`t well suited to be a GM in a cap era. I`d like to see him stay as adviser, but we need a true business and someone who`s been involved in the NHL since the lockout.

I think he realizes that the NHL has changed since he was GM. Which is why he agreed to help G Molson in his quest to find a cap knowledgeable GM.

Today`s NHL, it`s not enough to have a good hockey mind. Something that both BG and PG had. If you look at the numbers, BG was very effective in Dallas, one of the main reasons he was hired. In the cap ear he was lost and his gambles bit him in the butt.

Skill aside, a Gm with keen business sense would`ve never taken Gomez`s contract or traded away spacek for kabs( he would`ve held onto Spacek, either trading him a trade deadline or let his contract run out and invest his 3 million somewhere else). At least with the gomez contract, it did get us 2 good wingers in Cammy and Gio. Cammy was contacted (according to tsn 990) and he said he wouldn`t come to Montreal to play with Koivu. Of those 3, Gio was the better acquisition. A business minded GM probably would`ve looked into Cammy a lil more. Why would 2 teams, one that drafted him and the one who he had a career high with let him go so easily and i doubt he would`ve given McDonagh in the trade. Apparently Timmins was against BG sending McDonagh to the rangers for Pyatt and gomez.

After the cole signing, PG struggled. His moves reeked of desperation. Firing guys like Pearn and letting Muller walk killed our PP imo. PG either fired or let his coaching assets go, then in a final houray, fired the only coach to lead us to the ECF since Perron. Then put an unproven, uni-lingual rookie coach in his place. RC may have had a chance at turning this team around had PG kept Pearn and/or Muller. I really don`t get some of PG`s moves, specially those that came during the season. I can`t believe that a French speaking GM didn`t see the importance of a French speaking coach. The shrugged it off and left RC at the mercy of the media. Had PG not fired Pearn and Martin, I`m confident that Martin would`ve found a way to get us in the top 8.

I don`t have faith in Savard as a GM in a cap era (he`s also been gone too long), but I have faith that he`ll help guide Molson in finding a competent GM.

I thought the Houle era was bad... I don`t know what was worse, the Houle era or the PG/BG era. Only time will tell, we still haven`t seen the full extent of the PG era... have a feeling we`ll be feeling it for years to come-starting with the kabs contract. <_<

Guest Regis2

:rolleyes:

" Radio-Canada says the new general manager, who has yet to be named, will report to Savard."

Im not liking this

He's been out of hockey for what 18 years

Ugh, so the new GM will report to Savard? Let's hope this doesn't turn into a lame-duck scenario where the GM is canned at the first dip in team performance so the owner can backdoor his childhood idol into the GM spot.

:angry: Just what I'd be weary of.

Habs I/O has Savard denying this rumour.

and the circus in habsville continues :lol:

You expected anything less? :P

Nope

I do like Habs I/O top candidate. :lol:

He's a slam dunk :rolleyes:

Guest habs1952

Ugh, so the new GM will report to Savard? Let's hope this doesn't turn into a lame-duck scenario where the GM is canned at the first dip in team performance so the owner can backdoor his childhood idol into the GM spot.

IF this is true I think it is only to have the GM report to someone who has some experience as a GM. Maybe Molson felt Gautier pulled the wool over his eyes and doesn't want any more shenanigans from his GM. In hindsight, maybe George Gilette should have done the same thing.

I just noticed that TSN still has it posted on their site as of this morning. (if indeed its just rumors) <_<

Report: Savard takes permanent post as Canadiens' VP

Guest Regis2

As someone else on TSN commented

This structure already sounds problematic for Montreal. Having the new as yet unnamed GM report to Mr Savard seems like an unnecessary layer of management, unless Mr Molson the owner wants to take a totally hands off approach to the team.

If that's the case it may work. However, on the surface, this move seems to create a situation where Mr Savard will in fact be the new GM, while the GM he has yet to hire will b e a de facto assistant GM. This will be the case IF the new GM will have to run any or all decisions by Mr Savard. In effect, the new GM will be Mr Savard's puppet if Mr Savard so chooses. This could potentially be a very bad move for the franchise. report this comment

I guess we'll wait and see

As someone else on TSN commented

This structure already sounds problematic for Montreal. Having the new as yet unnamed GM report to Mr Savard seems like an unnecessary layer of management, unless Mr Molson the owner wants to take a totally hands off approach to the team.

If that's the case it may work. However, on the surface, this move seems to create a situation where Mr Savard will in fact be the new GM, while the GM he has yet to hire will b e a de facto assistant GM. This will be the case IF the new GM will have to run any or all decisions by Mr Savard. In effect, the new GM will be Mr Savard's puppet if Mr Savard so chooses. This could potentially be a very bad move for the franchise. report this comment

I guess we'll wait and see

That would be my concern also (assuming this report is even true; Savard has denied it). What's more, why is Geoff Molson the president of the team if he can't have the GM reporting directly to him? We don't need extra layers of management, we need an efficient top-down system where Molson (in conjunction with whatever advisory team he wants, a team that obviously includes Savard) hires the GM, who'll report to him, and then gets the hell out of the way to let his hire get to work. Having Savard as some weird intermediary between the GM and the owner/president is completely unnecessary at best, and could be downright disastrous at worst (if it becomes a situation where the GM is Savard's puppet).

That would be my concern also (assuming this report is even true; Savard has denied it). What's more, why is Geoff Molson the president of the team if he can't have the GM reporting directly to him? We don't need extra layers of management, we need an efficient top-down system where Molson (in conjunction with whatever advisory team he wants, a team that obviously includes Savard) hires the GM, who'll report to him, and then gets the hell out of the way to let his hire get to work. Having Savard as some weird intermediary between the GM and the owner/president is completely unnecessary at best, and could be downright disastrous at worst (if it becomes a situation where the GM is Savard's puppet).

Titles can be just that...

Say for instance there is no AGM as part of the layers you refer to and whoever the candidate is as a GM, to start with, would be along the lines of what Julien Brisebois did for the Habs as the financial wizard/capologist. In this scenario Savard builds the team as the "Hockey" man while Brisebois acts as an advisor the way he does as the AGM in Tampa. Brisebois has the title of GM and is groomed for the future when Savard will pass down his responsibilities as the "Hockey" man... at which time Brisebois will appoint an assistant.

I'm not saying I like this, but can understand the structure. We can't forget that Molson, as President, has more under his belt than just the Hockey Team per se. It could be seen that Molson will be hands-off to some extent, while Savard has more direct power in terms of the Hockey Team.

I don't know, is the circus that was our former management regime making us a little paranoid here? Don't other teams have VPs of Hockey Operations?

Anyway, if Savard denied it, I'm not going to worry until something more substantial comes out. FWIW, when TSN starts somethign with Report: it's just a way for them to put rumours and unconfirmed news on their site. They've started doing this over the last couple of years. I assume it's a way to compete with the rumour sites/blogs without compromising their "journalistic integrity".

Archived