The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #79 Sat, 31 Mar 2012 Canadiens @ Capitals

Forever_Habs10

Game #79

31-03-20129-14-11AM.jpg

*This is my last GDT for the regular season....I'm doing something a little different.

31-03-20128-22-02AM.jpg

Well Geoff, you say that going forward, this organization will accept nothing less than a winning culture...well those are big words,and I am holding you to them.

This is also how we fans feel Mr.Molson...We take pride in our team,and have stuck by our habs through the highs & mainly lows this season....and dear God,its been a rough ride.

Its been sad,disappointing,embarrassing to say the least.

We really are hoping & depending fully on you Mr.Molson to making things right here....and getting this organization back on track & in the right direction.

We do have a solid,exciting group of players to build around here IMO...we all, including our players have been hanging our heads low, in disappointment.

Yes,Geoff...our habs do play in the best hockey market in the world...we fans do want to see our team/organization back to true form...back to an exciting,winning,fun team to watch & support/cheer for.

Its been a sad disappointing yr to say the least,I personally am relieved that its finally coming to an end.

Mr.Moslon, you say that going forward, this organization will accept nothing less than a winning culture ....well guess what, neither will we.<_<

We take pride in our habs.

We reconize we have a lot of work lying ahead...beginning with preparing for the draft & the free agency market ......you are presently searching out a new GM.....please make the right decision , for this team....its going to be a handful for him coming in & cleaning up this mess.

Our Montreal Canadiens is a storied franchise ( one that I am proud to have grown up with )...I want as much as all habs fans do to see us back to winning,consistency and success through out this organization,and of course on the ice........winning culture whatever it takes.

All levels of this organization needs to be competitive......I want a hard,competing team iced.....and one that has an identity, (we have lost that at this moment ).

I am pleased Geoff Molson that you recognize that the direction of this team needed to be changed...and you are addressing those needs as I speak.

We fans are passionate...we deserve a winning organization/team

FH10 B)

GO HABS GO!

610x.jpg

Excellant GDT FH, THanks :) . I am sure you spoke for most, if not all Habs fans. I know you did for me. I have faith in GM and Serge Savard, to get the best possible GM possible.

About the game. Caps are desparate to stay in the POs, and hope to move up in the standings. This can only bode well for our Habs tanking aspirations. That, capped with fact that PB will play in goal, and that we played last nite.

About the game.

Season Series: This is the fourth and final matchup this season between the teams. Washington is poised to sweep the season series after taking the previous three meetings by a combined score of 10-1. In their last matchup on Feb. 24, Jason Chimera collected a goal and an assist in a 4-1 Capitals' win.

Big Story: While the Canadiens are officially eliminated from playoff contention, Washington is fighting for the eighth and final playoff spot in the East -- a position they were able to regain Friday night thanks to Buffalo's 5-3 loss to Pittsburgh.

Team Scope:

Canadiens: The biggest news in the Canadiens' camp this week came off the ice when team owner and chairman Geoff Molson announced the firing of GM Pierre Gauthier on Thursday. Stuck in a season that has the Canadiens occupying the Eastern Conference basement, the team effectively started their off-season two weeks early by launching the search for their new general manager.

Just 24 hours after Gauthier's firing, the Canadiens were in New York to finish out their season series against the Eastern Conference-leading Rangers. Visiting a team they had previously beaten twice at home this season, Montreal got off to a tough start when Marian Gaborik opened the scoring in the first period with a snapshot that eluded Canadiens' goaltender Carey Price. Over the course of the game, the Rangers would only pad their lead thanks in large part to two goals from Michael Del Zotto and three points from Brad Richards. Rene Bourque would provide Montreal's lone goal late in the third, but with only 20 shots for the game, the Habs barely tested Rangers' goaltender Henrik Lundqvist in a 4-1 loss.

Capitals: Following a streak in which they won three of four games, Washington lost its tenuous hold on the eighth and final playoff spot in the East when it was trounced 5-1 by the Sabres on Tuesday. The Caps needed a win in Boston on Thursday in the worst way -- and despite blowing a 2-0 lead in the final minutes of regulation, they got it when Brooks Laich scored in the fourth round of the shootout for a 3-2 victory.

"We are back on track," captain Alex Ovechkin said. "We are happy to take two points and take a big step."

Who's Hot: David Desharnais has three assists in his last four games while Tomas Plekanec has three points in the same span. … Ovechkin has led the Washington charge with 12 points in his last nine games while Johansson has three points in his last three games.

Injury Report: Travis Moen (upper body), Brian Gionta (bicep surgery), Raphael Diaz (lower body), Yannick Weber (lower body), Scott Gomez (concussion), and Mathieu Darche (upper body) are all on Montreal's IR while Tomas Kaberle is out with an upper-body injury. … Tomas Vokoun (lower body) and John Erskine (lower body) are questionable for Washington while Tom Poti (groin) and Nicklas Backstrom (concussion) are on IR. Backstrom has been skating and is almost ready to return; he's been sidelined since Jan. 3.

Stat Pack: While Alexander Semin is an unrestricted free agent after this season, he has an opportunity to etch his name into the Caps' record book before the end of the 2011-12 campaign. With one more goal, he will have 196 with Washington, tying him with Bengt Gustafsson for fifth all-time in franchise history.

Puck Drop: While the Canadiens' season has been a disappointment, the emergence of their top line featuring Max Pacioretty, Desharnais, and Erik Cole has been a positive. The three forwards are one, two, and four points away respectively from the 60-point mark. If they all reach 60 points in the last four games of the season, it will be the first time Montreal has boasted three 60-point scorers since Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec, and Mark Streit all reached the mark in 2007-08.

Excellant GDT FH, THanks :) . I am sure you spoke for most, if not all Habs fans. I know you did for me.

Thank you sir for those kind words.

Great GDT, kubby. Well said.

Thanks for the GDT FH, I like it a lot.

I thank you both.;)

Aren't most people here sirs to me because their a lot older than me?

You may direct me as Sir. :rolleyes:

I always figured that we are friends, buds,,members etc. I like to treat everyone the same, age or sex, or race doesn't matter. We're all equals here. :)

YES SIR :D

Anyways, just in, Backstrom will return for the capitals to face the habs and Bourque. This is good for our tank.

OLEEEEEEEEEEEE

Okay buddy. :)

Sir buddy

Plants notwithstanding. :lol:

You & vegas rick need to go do some planting <_<

Hi sir Kubby.

has a ring to it :lol:

Backstrom will return for the capitals to face the habs and Bourque.

Backstrom has not played since Jan. 3 when he took an elbow to the head from then-Calgary Flames forward Rene Bourque, but the Caps No. 1 center was medically cleared this week to return to the lineup after passing a baseline neuropsychological test.

“I'm really excited,” Backstrom said. “It's going to be fun to play again. It's a big game for us and we need all those points. I'm excited to be back in such an important game.

“It feels like I'm ready. I've been practicing hard and stuff and I've been battling with a couple of guys on the team and I've been taking a couple hits. It feels like I'm ready, so I'm excited to be back.”

No wonder Price gets hung to dry most games. So much confusion, spinning, turning, and letting forwards do what they want in the slot. I would say D is much more of a priority in the offseason than forwards, but what do I know!! :lol::angry:

Well, I'd say it's both. There's sometimes a perception that a shoddy defense is solely attributable to poor d-men, and that poor offense is solely due to undertalented forwards, and IMO it's not quite true. Forwards who don't backcheck or fulfill their positional responsibilities in the d-zone, or who drift around in coverage without being able to anticipate the play, are just as harmful as the d-man who blows coverage at the net. Similarly, if none of your d-men can make a good first pass out of the zone or make intelligent reads keeping the puck in at the blue line, your forwards will have difficulty scoring no matter how talented they are.

Guest habs1952

Well, I'd say it's both. There's sometimes a perception that a shoddy defense is solely attributable to poor d-men, and that poor offense is solely due to undertalented forwards, and IMO it's not quite true. Forwards who don't backcheck or fulfill their positional responsibilities in the d-zone, or who drift around in coverage without being able to anticipate the play, are just as harmful as the d-man who blows coverage at the net. Similarly, if none of your d-men can make a good first pass out of the zone or make intelligent reads keeping the puck in at the blue line, your forwards will have difficulty scoring no matter how talented they are.

Couldn't agree more Weeps. Poor teamwork is akin to driving your car on three tires. It makes it a lot more difficult to get to your destination. Everyone on the ice needs to operate together as one unit.

Couldn't agree more Weeps. Poor teamwork is akin to driving your car on three tires. It makes it a lot more difficult to get to your destination. Everyone on the ice needs to operate together as one unit.

Our biggest problem under RC has been the near-total lack of any ability to execute in five-man units. Sure, we do it occasionally, but most of the time, we have success because of personal heroics and one or two-man efforts. We rarely function effectively as a five-man unit.

Our biggest problem under RC has been the near-total lack of any ability to execute in five-man units. Sure, we do it occasionally, but most of the time, we have success because of personal heroics and one or two-man efforts. We rarely function effectively as a five-man unit.

New GM & new coach required.

My choices are'

GM - 1st choice - Pierre McGuire

2nd - Brisbois

Coach - 1st - Marc Crawford

- 2nd - Patrick Roy - however past history indicates that Jr coaches do not fair well in NHL. (EG Dale Hunter will be back in London next year) Not so sure of this choice.

Archived