The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week

BigTed3

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which prospect, if drafted by the Habs, would be most likely to help the team next season?

We've asked you before who you think the Habs should draft. But now, assuming we still have the 3rd or 4th pick (and do not get Yakupov), we want to know which of the other projected top 5 forwards you think would be able to help us right away. Who can step in and be of use to us as a top 6 forward or on the PP next season? Who's physically and/or mentally ready? Whose skillset best allows them to carry over their success into the NHL? Vote and let us know!

Guest habs1952

I haven't seen any of these guys play so it's difficult to choose but I went with Forsberg anyway. I don't think you can really go wrong with a highly ranked Swede.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and vote for Galchenyuk. Although he's coming off a big knee surgery, he came back and he's young enough to recover from this uneventfully. Of the guys listed, he seems to be the most physically-developed and have the skillset that I see best translating into success in the NHL the earliest. Grigorenko still needs some time to fill out his frame, although it may not impact his ability to score. And forsberg has likely faced the highest level of competition, but it becomes hard to compare a guy who dominates lesser opponents and a guy who keeps up with stiffer competition without dominating. All 3 guys could be the best in the long term, but I like Galchenyuk's chances of being the best next year.

If we don't get the 1st overall pick and land Yakupov, my money is on Forsberg. He has size, is a winger and can play centre in a clutch.

Grigorenko, I don't know... I'm afraid he'll be more of a Yashin and less Ovy or malkin.

Also, we haven't had a Swede here in a very long time.

Yakupov seems like the real deal, but he's another short player. We need size and grit. Swedes have always prided themselves on playing a North American style of hockey. Frosberg is tall and can still fill out some, he's not afraid to be physical, so my choice would be forsberg.

Russians like yakupov and grigorenko came to North America to play minor hockey, which is a good sign. But there's always the risk they jump to the K.

How often do we get such a high pick. There no safe bet, even yakupov could be a flop. For some reason, I have a better feeling about Forsberg.

If we don't get the 1st overall pick and land Yakupov, my money is on Forsberg. He has size, is a winger and can play centre in a clutch.

Grigorenko, I don't know... I'm afraid he'll be more of a Yashin and less Ovy or malkin.

Also, we haven't had a Swede here in a very long time.

Yakupov seems like the real deal, but he's another short player. We need size and grit. Swedes have always prided themselves on playing a North American style of hockey. Frosberg is tall and can still fill out some, he's not afraid to be physical, so my choice would be forsberg.

Russians like yakupov and grigorenko came to North America to play minor hockey, which is a good sign. But there's always the risk they jump to the K.

How often do we get such a high pick. There no safe bet, even yakupov could be a flop. For some reason, I have a better feeling about Forsberg.

No question for me that forsberg is the safer pick, but that doesn't mean he'll be the best guy in the long run. I'm not overly concerned any of the 3 "russians" are going to bolt. All 3 have chosen to play in Canada, and Galchenyuk is American-born to boot. As a comparison, I wouldn't turn down malkin or Ovechkin just because they might at some point go to the khl. I'm not against choosing forsberg, but I wouldn't necessarily pass on the others just because he's a safer choice.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and vote for Galchenyuk. Although he's coming off a big knee surgery, he came back and he's young enough to recover from this uneventfully. Of the guys listed, he seems to be the most physically-developed and have the skillset that I see best translating into success in the NHL the earliest. Grigorenko still needs some time to fill out his frame, although it may not impact his ability to score. And forsberg has likely faced the highest level of competition, but it becomes hard to compare a guy who dominates lesser opponents and a guy who keeps up with stiffer competition without dominating. All 3 guys could be the best in the long term, but I like Galchenyuk's chances of being the best next year.

I too voted for Galchenyuk. We need a home run with this pick, we also need to show some moxy at the draft board and not play it safe.

No question for me that forsberg is the safer pick, but that doesn't mean he'll be the best guy in the long run. I'm not overly concerned any of the 3 "russians" are going to bolt. All 3 have chosen to play in Canada, and Galchenyuk is American-born to boot. As a comparison, I wouldn't turn down malkin or Ovechkin just because they might at some point go to the khl. I'm not against choosing forsberg, but I wouldn't necessarily pass on the others just because he's a safer choice.

It's a gut feeling for me Ted, plain and simple.

We did well landing Markov way back when. I'd take malkin in a flash, always liked his game, big strong player that uses his size(a cole type with more skill). Even at 35 goals a season, i wouldn't mind acquiring Ovy, but not at his present salary-Lil high for a 35 goal scorer.

Galchenyuk does have the knee injury, but lets not forget Yakupov has a shoulder thing right now. Injuries don't really bother me with young players. Even our own Rocket Richard was plagued by injuries before joining the habs... He went on to be one of the greatest players to ever suit up for our Habs-And didn't miss many games due to injury when he finally made the NHL.

I think forsberg could be used in many situations, whereas gregorenko for me is probably going to be a good 2nd liner, along the lines of Semin/backstrom. A top 6, but better suited for 2nd line duties.

I love Russian style of play, don't get me wrong. Was a huge fan of the first wave of Russians to join the league after the fall of communism(Mogilny was one of my fav players of the 90's). But with the exception of Malkin and Ovy, they tend to be more finesse oriented and less physical. For size, physicality(Swedes have always been physical, even in last seasons WJC) and safer bet, I'm sticking with Forsberg-Kept an eye on him during the WJC's. We're looking for skill, size and grit... For me, that's Forsberg.

To be honest with you, haven't really observed Galchenyuk, so I can't say one way or another. I'd rather not comment on a player I haven't really seen much of.

I too voted for Galchenyuk. We need a home run with this pick, we also need to show some moxy at the draft board and not play it safe.

So you'd be happy if he ends up being another AK46 or a yashin, as long as we have moxy at the draft?

A top 3 pick (fingers crossed) doesn't come around often. I'd like to make it count.

AK46 was thought to have gone higher than 10th, which is where the habs got him at. Some thought he may even go top 5.

So you'd be happy if he ends up being another AK46 or a yashin, as long as we have moxy at the draft?

Uh, no. Not sure how you inferred that. I could just as easily ask: so you'd be happy with a 60-point winger, as long as we don't take any risks?

A top 3 pick (fingers crossed) doesn't come around often. I'd like to make it count.

I too would like to make it count ... for an elite player, not a play-it-safe player who will be a solid top-six NHL forward but who won't be a game-breaker. I'm willing to take a risk, because unless you're in a position to draft a sure-fire can't miss top player like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, or Stamkos, you have to take some risk to obtain reward.

AK46 was thought to have gone higher than 10th, which is where the habs got him at. Some thought he may even go top 5.

Your logic is flawed. The thinking seems to be, "Because we took a risk on a player who didn't live up to his potential, all risk-taking should be avoided, because all risks will turn out just like Kostitsyn did." Sure, we took a risk that didn't pan out with Kostitsyn ... and we also went off the board and drafted Carey Price in 2005. That turned out pretty nicely for us, I'd say.

What I want, in the end, is a home-run player, the kind of franchise forward you can build your team around. Galchenyuk's injury is a concern, but of the forwards available for us to draft (him, Grigorenko, and Forsberg), I believe he gives us the most home-run potential.

I'd rather swing for the fences with this pick and risk the player busting than play it safe by adding another 60-point winger to our collection.

In all fairness, I believe any of the 3 guys we're discussing can be an elite player. I personally like Galchenyuk's style of play better, but we're basing this on a small sample size. What I do like about Galchenyuk is that some scouts have said he may have challenged Yakupov for top spot if he had been healthy... so he could possibly have a bigger upside if he is being underrated now due to his injury recovery. Other than that, any choice amongst the 3 could be good and it's really a crapshoot at this point.

If Roy is in our plans then i would go with his boy, otherwise i'm for taking a bit of a risk with Galchenyuk whom i feel will be the best of the top 4 (yes,, even Yakupov).

As with the others above,agreed.

I say none of them - I would strongly consider trading away the pick to try to stockpile draft choices or get a star player or two in here. This team has glaring holes everywhere, and no one player is going to come in here and be a savior. I don't see a Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux in this draft.

I know it sounds dumb, but I think the solution is in numbers of draft picks or a couple of real good players who could turn things around quickly.

A lot of the players we developed in the past turned out to be good - for other teams.

Archived