The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week

BigTed3

22 members have voted

1. 1. If you could hire another team's coach to take over the reigns of the Habs next year, who would it be?

• Claude Julien
    • Alain Vigneault
    • Mike Babcock
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Guy Boucher
    • Other

We've talked about who the Habs might hire as their next coach. We've also discussed whether a guy like Alain Vigneault might become available next season if the Canucks are eliminated in the first round. But what if you could have your pick of the litter and steal any coach from any other team. We want to know which current NHL coach would be the best fit for the Habs if we had the choice.

I went with Vigneault because it now seems pretty certain that the Canucks will be eliminated in round one, which might mean he's available, unlike the other candidates on the list. Also, he's a bilingual candidate. I like his work as a coach, and it's been so long since he's been here that it would be essentially like starting over. Finally, he'd be coming from one intense hockey market to another, so he wouldn't have as much difficulty with the transition.

I voted for Babcock. His achievements speak for themselves. Living in Michigan, I see him a lot and get more and more impressed.

That said, if Vigneault is available this June, we should jump at the chance. That would require him wanting to come to Montreal though.

I voted for Babcock. His achievements speak for themselves. Living in Michigan, I see him a lot and get more and more impressed.

That said, if Vigneault is available this June, we should jump at the chance. That would require him wanting to come to Montreal though.

Agreed except for the living in michigan part cuz i dont

but the thing I worry about with vigneault is if we become the same percieved whiners that the canucks are seen as nowadays

Availability is not a criteria in this poll weep :)

I read this before I looked at the poll, so I picked Babcock. IMO, he's just about the smartest coach out there. I watched a blurb on him, and he is very intense, and dedicated to the team. He does everything a coach should do in regards to coaching and winning.

I went with Vigneault because it now seems pretty certain that the Canucks will be eliminated in round one, which might mean he's available, unlike the other candidates on the list. Also, he's a bilingual candidate. I like his work as a coach, and it's been so long since he's been here that it would be essentially like starting over. Finally, he'd be coming from one intense hockey market to another, so he wouldn't have as much difficulty with the transition.

I went with the "pipe dream" of Babcock, knowing full well there's no chance in heck we're getting him.

If we're being "real" - there's a (more than) decent chance Vigneault is available this summer and Id certainly be interested. He's come a long way since he was running the show here. I also think Boucher may be available too, although Im not so sure he's ready - or what we need - right now.

However, I am warming up to the idea of Roy as Coach. We would have to have the right GM in place first, and I am not sure if it would be a "long term" solution, but Im so starved for ANY sort of emotion behind the bench that I am starting to really like the idea of giving #33 a shot.

I went with Vigneault as well for the exact same reasons. Besides, I always felt like he got a raw deal over here and he deserves another chance. He's more than proven himself to be an NHL head coach so he'd be a perfect fit for the Habs.

The answer I thought most people would choose is the one that's been chosen most thus far: Babcock. He's a proven winner and even when he doesn't win, his teams are near the top of the standings. Plus, he's got the connection to the city.

The guy with the most realistic chance of coming here is Vigneault because he's the most likely to be fired, and I agree with posters that he would be a good candidate.

I'm going to go against popular opinion and choose Julien. I really liked him as a coach when he was here and despite the fact that I hate the Bruins, I give him full credit for doing a great job with that team. He has the same number of championships as Babcock and he's one up on ruff and Vigneault. And in both situations where he was fired (here and NJ), it was done without much merit, the first so that BG could bring in his friend as a coach and the second when his team has a 0.646 winning percentage. The guy can coach, whether you like him or not. Being francophone, he'd satisfy the media pundits. Having coached here, he knows the pitfalls of the city. Being a coach in the NE, he knows our division and rivals well and he's had success against them. And he'd be a guy who brings some character and energy to the team without sacrificing intelligence and having a system. I'd love to have any of the first four guys on the list, but Julien could be the best coach we've let go in the past 15 years or so and he'd fit the description of the type of guy you'd want to be here.

I'm going with Nine on this one and picking other (Barry Trotz). I think that he's the perfect coach for the team that we have - a team that will have to play well as a team if we want to have success.

Like Montreal in recent decades, Nashville has never exactly been superstar central. Sure he's got Weber and Suter right now, but those guys both came up in the system and Trotz has had that team playing like a team since before they were big shots. I'd also like to think that Subban is a pretty good analogue in the Montreal system.

Bascially Trotz manages to take a team without any major scorers and get them to play well above their projected standing year after year after year. He's relying on good goaltending right now, sure, but so can we. I'd go so far as to say that Nashville is a franchise that I think Montreal could model itself after, and similarly I think that Trotz would be the ideal guy to help us do it.

The answer I thought most people would choose is the one that's been chosen most thus far: Babcock. He's a proven winner and even when he doesn't win, his teams are near the top of the standings. Plus, he's got the connection to the city.

The guy with the most realistic chance of coming here is Vigneault because he's the most likely to be fired, and I agree with posters that he would be a good candidate.

I'm going to go against popular opinion and choose Julien. I really liked him as a coach when he was here and despite the fact that I hate the Bruins, I give him full credit for doing a great job with that team. He has the same number of championships as Babcock and he's one up on ruff and Vigneault. And in both situations where he was fired (here and NJ), it was done without much merit, the first so that BG could bring in his friend as a coach and the second when his team has a 0.646 winning percentage. The guy can coach, whether you like him or not. Being francophone, he'd satisfy the media pundits. Having coached here, he knows the pitfalls of the city. Being a coach in the NE, he knows our division and rivals well and he's had success against them. And he'd be a guy who brings some character and energy to the team without sacrificing intelligence and having a system. I'd love to have any of the first four guys on the list, but Julien could be the best coach we've let go in the past 15 years or so and he'd fit the description of the type of guy you'd want to be here.

Julien would be my first choice but he's not going anywhere. That's why I went with Vigneault in this poll.

Julien would be my first choice but he's not going anywhere. That's why I went with Vigneault in this poll.

Yes, but this poll is asking specifically who you would take if you could have anyone... it's giving you the option of taking anyone in the hypothetical scenario that you can pluck who you like, so don't feel obliged to settle if you don't want to!

Yes, but this poll is asking specifically who you would take if you could have anyone... it's giving you the option of taking anyone in the hypothetical scenario that you can pluck who you like, so don't feel obliged to settle if you don't want to!

Then I change my vote to Julien. Besides being a good X's and O's guy, he really cares about the guys playing for him. I've never seen a coach stick up for his players like Julien does.

Guest habs1952

I went with Babcock but I don't think it's just the head coach who should get credit. I think the coaches who assist him add to the total package of coaching a team. Quality of players and the way they have been groomed in the minors would be another benefit to the coach. I guess you could say the whole organization creates an atmosphere of success.

I went with Babcock but I don't think it's just the head coach who should get credit. I think the coaches who assist him add to the total package of coaching a team. Quality of players and the way they have been groomed in the minors would be another benefit to the coach. I guess you could say the whole organization creates an atmosphere of success.

This is the truth

Archived