The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The 2012 NHL unrestricted free agent class

Agreed, I'm actually hoping Geoffrion steps it up and proves everybody wrong at camp. He's got okay size and might be an option on the second line, production and consistency are still issues though.

Interesting. I never really considered Geoffrion as a dark horse for the second line left wing position.

Interesting. I never really considered Geoffrion as a dark horse for the second line left wing position.

It's a long shot for sure and it's Bourque's spot to lose anyway but I don't really see Palushaj there either.

Hey weeps

I was wondering if you would name some Russian player examples who are being lowballed? And how much they should be making per season?

I'm not suggesting that you can't do it but I think it would help put some meat on the bone of your complaint.

You already mentioned Kovalev and Semin getting lowballed. But Montreal paid Kovalev 4.5M. How much should he have got, 5.5M?,6M?

Semin got a crazy crazy crazy 6.7M from Washinton. How much should he have got, 8M?

For me 6.7M was too much.

Thanks in advance.

Of course, I am interested in everyone's input.

I'm not Weep, but,

Alexander Frolov was booted from the NHL despite having 397 points in 579 career games. Nikola Zherdev had 261 points in 421career games, and the same thing happened. Andrei Kostitsyn has 222 points in 398 career games. Those are good offensive stats for second-line wingers. North American players like Guillaume Latendresse, Benoiut Pouliot and Michael Ryder with very similar or inferior stats don't have as much trouble finding new contracts.

That said, the Semin situation is still surprising. Semin isn't a 2nd line winger like the 6 names mentioned above, he is a 1st line winger. One doesn't expect to see so much discrimination so high up the talent ladder.

I'm not Weep, but,

Alexander Frolov was booted from the NHL despite having 397 points in 579 career games. Nikola Zherdev had 261 points in 421career games, and the same thing happened. Andrei Kostitsyn has 222 points in 398 career games. Those are good offensive stats for second-line wingers. North American players like Guillaume Latendresse, Benoiut Pouliot and Michael Ryder with very similar or inferior stats don't have as much trouble finding new contracts.

That said, the Semin situation is still surprising. Semin isn't a 2nd line winger like the 6 names mentioned above, he is a 1st line winger. One doesn't expect to see so much discrimination so high up the talent ladder.

The thing is, Andrei's numbers weren't horrible with us. i don't think fans objected much about his offense, what fans weren't happy about was his lack of emotion and not bringing it every night. Same thing that sent Gui, Ryder and ben from Montreal. i actually liked AK better when he wasn't scoring as much but using his body to contribute. he may not have been scoring as much, but had a real thing going with Eller and contributed in other ways.

Of course there are Russians who are under valued, there are NA's, Swedes, Czech's as well who are under valued. There are also those who avre over-valued imo (Kovalchuk). I have no objections to giving a player a lower salary if he isn't the type to give 110% every night. maybe if they applied themselves more and used the skill

(we all know they have), they'll earn more money.

As much as I dislike Sid the Kid, his whining, the love he gets from announcers... but the guy gives 110% every night. he comes back from a 9 month absence and has a 4 point night. That's why he makes what he makes. If he had a tendency to float, take a night off, party instead of practicing, I'm sure he wouldn't make what he's making.

Kovalev probably could've made 6-7 mil had he been the type to give 110% every night. He'd probably be closer to a 100 point player, instead of a 65-80 point player, but since he was 65-80 point player (closer to 70), he earns a lil less.

Why should teams expect to pay players top dollar if they're not using their skill to the best of their ability?

Cole had a 35 goal/61 point season and is earning 4.5 mil. Why is it so surprising that Kovalev earned about the same amount for similar stats (and that was several years ago)?

The thing is, Andrei's numbers weren't horrible with us. i don't think fans objected much about his offense, what fans weren't happy about was his lack of emotion and not bringing it every night. Same thing that sent Gui, Ryder and ben from Montreal. i actually liked AK better when he wasn't scoring as much but using his body to contribute. he may not have been scoring as much, but had a real thing going with Eller and contributed in other ways.

Of course there are Russians who are under valued, there are NA's, Swedes, Czech's as well who are under valued. There are also those who avre over-valued imo (Kovalchuk). I have no objections to giving a player a lower salary if he isn't the type to give 110% every night. maybe if they applied themselves more and used the skill

(we all know they have), they'll earn more money.

As much as I dislike Sid the Kid, his whining, the love he gets from announcers... but the guy gives 110% every night. he comes back from a 9 month absence and has a 4 point night. That's why he makes what he makes. If he had a tendency to float, take a night off, party instead of practicing, I'm sure he wouldn't make what he's making.

Kovalev probably could've made 6-7 mil had he been the type to give 110% every night. He'd probably be closer to a 100 point player, instead of a 65-80 point player, but since he was 65-80 point player (closer to 70), he earns a lil less.

Why should teams expect to pay players top dollar if they're not using their skill to the best of their ability?

Cole had a 35 goal/61 point season and is earning 4.5 mil. Why is it so surprising that Kovalev earned about the same amount for similar stats (and that was several years ago)?

First, you have absolutely no idea who is trying and who is not.It's just slogans. The only exception is when players show up to camp out of shape, but there is no evidence whatsoever that Alexander Semin is in love with Dunkin Donuts. All you can see, other than fitness, is production.

You don't have any counterargument to my examples. Another one might be Christopher Higgins. He went from being a 27 goal player to being a bust. He was given a chance to bounce back. Does Zherdev get that chance? No.

Kovalev and Cole are not comparable. Kovalev was a 65 point player in an average season, and scored a 4.5 million dollar contract when the cap was 39 million. Cole was a 50 point player (35 goals is a fluke) who signed a 4.5 million dollar contract at age 32 when the cap was 62 million. They're totally different.

I have no idea why you'd compare salaries from different cap eras.

Cole vs Kovie. Cole brings a game that is useful even when not picking up points. Kovie is dynamic and exciting when he wants to be but isn't effective when disinterested. I truly believe that Kovie with the desire to produce like a Crosby would have had phenominal #s every year. You know what you get when you send out Cole.

Guest habs1952

Cole vs Kovie. Cole brings a game that is useful even when not picking up points. Kovie is dynamic and exciting when he wants to be but isn't effective when disinterested. I truly believe that Kovie with the desire to produce like a Crosby would have had phenominal #s every year. You know what you get when you send out Cole.

When he had the puck or an opportunity to score.

I have to say that I think it's pretty absurd to be suggesting that Cole now is a better player (or even close) than Kovalev was with us. Kovalev was a 65-75 point guy (including a season with 65 pts in 69GP), whereas Cole is more a 50-60 point guy. I'd be surprised to see Cole have another 30 goal season. Like, seriously surprised.

You do know what you're getting with Cole, and that's a 50-60 point guy who will use his size and speed to open up the ice, and that's great. But with Kovalev when he was with us, we had one of the most talented offensive threats in the NHL, and a guy who had all-world skill, capable of a PPG pace. I don't care who "works harder", I care who puts up points. Kovalev put up the kind of numbers that Cole would only dream of, I can't see in any possible way how Erik Cole could ever touch an 84 point season. The most important thing is output, and Kovalev's output was superior to Cole's.

But with Kovalev when he was with us, we had one of the most talented offensive threats in the NHL, and a guy who had all-world skill, capable of a PPG pace.

Yes all-world skills and capable of a PPG pace, 3X with Pitt and once with Habs. Yeah too bad he didn't care to use that all-world skill all the time. He sure was a minus player a lot.

It has been said Lafleur wasn't good defensively and it has been said he didn't need to be because when he was on the ice he usually had the puck. Kovie could have put up comparable #s, making allowances for different eras, as Lafleur if he was driven to excell IMO.

A disinterested Kovie could be your worst forward.

Guest habs1952

In Kovalev's 4 years in Montreal he scored 102 goals and 159 assists. Of his 102 goals 45(45.9%) were scored on the power play. Of his 159 assists, 88(55%) were scored on the power play. In 4 years, at even strength, Kovalev averaged 14 goals and 17.75 assists per season. I guess we can compare Kovalev to Desharnais, pampered with O-zone starts and power play time but 5 on 5 he was just your average player.

Are people still talking about Kovalev?

His career is done. What's the point of possibly squeezing 40 insanely frustrating points out of a 40 something year old when you have no chance at a Cup and several players chomping at the bit to take that role?

If we're not spending money on Doan or Semin, or making a viable trade, save cap and develop for the future. We're not looking for depth scoring as a final piece on a juggernaut roster. This was a last place team that's now in rebound mode.

In Kovalev's 4 years in Montreal he scored 102 goals and 159 assists. Of his 102 goals 45(45.9%) were scored on the power play. Of his 159 assists, 88(55%) were scored on the power play. In 4 years, at even strength, Kovalev averaged 14 goals and 17.75 assists per season. I guess we can compare Kovalev to Desharnais, pampered with O-zone starts and power play time but 5 on 5 he was just your average player.

Kovalev wasn't near as pampered as Desharnais. As for his ES scoring, it sounds lower than it probably is when you put it in perspective, it's just how those teams were built. No one really scored ES on that team, it was built around the PP. You look at Koivu and it's pretty similar for him, no one would imply he was just an average ES player.

What exactly does Cole do that's so useful when he's picking up points? He's not good defensively, Kovalev was a better defensive player who actually even helped provide PK value, which Cole added essentially none of. Also Kovalev had another x-factor and that was his ability to take over a game, which usually drew tight coverage, even when he struggled, and opened up the ice for his line mates on some level.

He got underrated, mostly because people had delusions of us signing a 60 point player in his 30's for 60 point player money and him somehow transforming into a 100 point player.

I'm not Weep, but,

Hey thanks for the effort. I think your best point was Frolov. I don't know much about him. I see his last contract was for 3m. His numbers suggest he could have been paid a little more. I'm not a fan of Zherdev's. His last year he made 2m.

I think both these guys were offered small short contracts to see where they were at and they chose to leave the NHL to get bigger contracts in the KHL. Where as, players like Latendreese took 1.25m on a one year contract to stay in the NHL. Micheal Ryder put up the best looking numbers out of the group while also being pretty durable and he is making less this year than he was on his last contract. He only gets $500000 more than what Frolov was getting. But he'll take it to stay in the NHL. Ryder could probably get $5M in the KHL, maybe more.

Benoit Pouliot is a 30 point guy that gets paid 1.8m to play and Sergei Samsonov is a 30 point guy that gets paid 2.5m to play. I don't get it, that's almost 50% more for SAMSONOV! Ewwww

I think Andrei Kostitsyn got paid fairly, 3.25m. Or say Afinogenov at 3.3m is fair.

In contrast, I think there are some over paid Russians. Like Volchenkov with a 6y at 4.25m per season while he generates his 10 points per season and Ilya Bryzgalov and his 9y contract with a cap hit of 5.6m. He will be 40 years old when the contract is over. He will retire before that. He wont be playing for the 1.25m remainder on the last year

of his contract. So he's almost making Price money!

The one thing that rang true for me on this topic was that nine times out of ten the overpaid players were North American, on the web sites I looked at. That is where I can see the Bias.

According to Chuck Gormley of Washington's Comcast Sportsnet, Alex Semin is looking for a two-year deal in the range of 5m/season... that would easily be the steal of the free agency market. Is this for real? Has he really not gotten any offer better than this to date?