The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The 2012 NHL unrestricted free agent class

It was unlikely we were going to land any big name free agents anyway. Finishing 28th and having brand new management is probably not that appealing to many star players. We'll need to show the league that we were better than we were last year before we attract the attention of valuable commodities again. I think we're done on the UFA market. Bergevin should focus on resigning our RFA players and dealing with Gomez (if he thinks he should). Maybe we see one more signing, but I doubt it. I think that second line wing position is going to go unaddressed until training camp.

Same names of note still available.

• Alexander Semin.
  • Michal Rozsival.
  • Kristian Huselius.
  • Shane Doan.
  • Sean Avery.
  • Pavel Kubina.
  • Wojtek Wolski.
  • Jochen Hecht.
  • Jeff Finger.
  • Andrei Kostitsyn.
  • Niklas Hagman.
  • Jason Arnott.
  • Jamie Langenbrunner.
  • Cam Barker.
  • Eric Fehr.
  • Peter Mueller.
  • Mike Knuble.
  • Tomas Holmstrom.
  • Gilbert Brule.
  • Kurtis Foster.
  • Steve Staois.
  • Ruslan Fedotenko.
  • Brendan Morrison.
  • Scott Hannan.
  • Ryan Parent.

Well, I'd like another good d-man, but Bouillon's signing makes it very unlikely we'll go down that road. I guess we'll start the season with our current D corps. I don't expect us to be a playoff team this year. The blue line is too weak, and we don't have enough scoring power to compensate.

Well, I'd like another good d-man, but Bouillon's signing makes it very unlikely we'll go down that road. I guess we'll start the season with our current D corps. I don't expect us to be a playoff team this year. The blue line is too weak, and we don't have enough scoring power to compensate.

Yep. Bring on the 2013's "Fail for Nail" slogan.

I would have liked to see us get a better D man than Bouillon as well. But at the same time, I understand not wanting to give out term to anyone not named Suter or Carle considering what we have in the pipeline.

I expect to compete for a playoff spot, whether we make it or not who knows. It would be nice to sneak in and get our young core some playoff experience, even if it's only for a round or two.

Anyway, IMO our true window begins next season (13-14) depending on how things go, and truly opens up the following year when the bad contracts come off the books at the same time as some of our better prospects should be ready to join our young core. If we can see this, I'm sure Bergevin can as well which is reason to be patient for at least one more year. I do think if he can make a good hockey trade however he will, and by the sounds of it (TFP among other sites) he has been making inquiries and shopping a few guys.

Interesting. I thought maybe we would have been interested in filling that top-six winger hole we have. One year deal, we could have traded him at the deadline and acquired a future.

Agreed, I would've signed him to a 1-year deal too. I understand that Bergevin wants to give our prospects a fair shake but I doubt Gallagher/Palushaj are the answer. Jagr and Eller would've been interesting as well... too bad.

Bergevin was probably weighing the pros and cons and although Jagr makes us a better team it doesn't make us a cup contender. Quality mins Jags would get could go to one of our younger players, or even an acquisition that will be with the team when we should be able to contend

Bergevin was probably weighing the pros and cons and although Jagr makes us a better team it doesn't make us a cup contender. Quality mins Jags would get could go to one of our younger players, or even an acquisition that will be with the team when we should be able to contend

Fair enough. I just don't see any of the "kids" being ready for a top-six role. Unless we're talking Eller. In which case, yes, he may be ready for a more offensive role.

I'm glad that Suter is gone from the Preds and Jokinen is gone from the Flames. Those are 2 teams I want to do bad this year. We've got their 2nd rounders in a draft that a lot of people think is gonna be the deepest draft since 2003.

Too bad the Flames got Wideman and Hudler.

Flyers got Gervais.

Why tie up Parise and Suter for 13 years each as Minnesota did? It doesn't make any sense.

Why not? They have the cap space and they also have a great pool of prospects. They already have a great veteran goaltender with good defense, their biggest problem was scoring goals. With Suter and Parise they got goaltending, defense and high end scoring talent, all their missing is dept for offense to be a contender.

Jagr's first choice was always Montreal but the Habs weren't interested according to RDS.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/343278.html

Sounds like posturing to me. What he fails to mention is he wanted to come to Montreal last year also and has been flirting with the idea of playing in Canada for a decade. Simply appeasing the masses and driving up market value, while dangling himself for another possible contract next year. Sure, he may have wanted to come here but not more than he NEEDED 4.55 million dollars, thats for sure.

Ultimately, star players are going to be criticized whenever they do anything other than stay for the same team and sign for a hometown discount.

Sorry, I wasn't simply being a "hater" his comments were empty and unnecessary. Bergevin said he made a call to Svoboda. I believe him. I also believe it was a short one.

MB: Something like: We'd be interested in Jagr, whats he looking for on a 1 year deal?

PS: >4 million.

MB: Thank you but we're withdrawing from the race.

You get the point. It was a quick inquiry.

Why not? They have the cap space and they also have a great pool of prospects. They already have a great veteran goaltender with good defense, their biggest problem was scoring goals. With Suter and Parise they got goaltending, defense and high end scoring talent, all their missing is dept for offense to be a contender.

What about when it comes time to re-sign the prospects? The money is fine for both of them, but 13 year term is ridiculous.

What about when it comes time to re-sign the prospects? The money is fine for both of them, but 13 year term is ridiculous.

They'll both retire before the 13-year term is up. That's why teams are signing these deals with absurd lengths (Hossa in Chicago, Lecavalier in Tampa).

It'd be nice if the new CBA had a rule that prevented these crazy long-term contracts. IMO, seven or eight years is enough. If a player is over 30+ maybe you make it even less. Five years, or something.