The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin

Forever_Habs10

Marc Bergevin is the 17th general manager in Canadiens franchise history

bergevin_55463.jpg

All About Our New G.M.

Just wanna say,welcome aboard the Habs train Mr.Bergevin.

This is such a good choice in many ways. He helped build a Cup winner in chicago.

He comes from completely outside the Habs organization so he is not jaundiced by the politics of the organization or the French media

yet being a Montrealer he understands the nuances and issues that make the Habs who they are and the importance of the Quebecois culture.

I think Molson and Savard did a good job in seeking out Bergevin amongst several interesting candidates and they did not exclude Anglophones.

I can look forward to the draft, off season and new season with a sense of hope and excitement (totally lacking this during the season)

This is such a good choice in many ways. He helped build a Cup winner in chicago.

He comes from completely outside the Habs organization so he is not jaundiced by the politics of the organization or the French media

yet being a Montrealer he understands the nuances and issues that make the Habs who they are and the importance of the Quebecois culture.

I think Molson and Savard did a good job in seeking out Bergevin amongst several interesting candidates and they did not exclude Anglophones.

I can look forward to the draft, off season and new season with a sense of hope and excitement (totally lacking this during the season)

Well said. ;)

Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman on Bergevin

He's very well-connected, he's a people person, he's got excellent relationships with agents and other people in hockey and his network is vast because of his playing days; he played for a number of teams, so he's got a lot of background on coaches and players. His work ethic and dedication to the Blackhawks is unparalleled.

339587.jpg

New Face, New look. This man seems to have a ton of Character. Sometimes we get excited about things because there new, like a new toy at christmas and after one day, same old toy like any other. Sometimes the toy we least expected was the one that stayed with us was strong and we grew up with it.

For some unknown reason, i hope this is the toy that was unexpected.

I know new people always say the right things...but there just seems to be an aura about this guy, not sure what it is -- just a gut.

I for one think they made a great move here, we have not have much success, bringing in the 70's alumuni over the last number of years other then Savard and he had a hand in this pick.

Welcome Aboard MB

What I like about this whole procedure of selecting a new GM, is that it was well thought-out over 4 weeks. When was the last time a team/owner took that long to select a new GM? I just hope MB takes some time to get a new coach.

Welcome Bergevin.

At least he has experience(as asst) and is motivated to run his own team. Great opportunity for him.

So, who's he picking in the draft? :P

A goaltender. :lol: :lol:

Off-Season Game Plan looks at the issues facing Bergevin as he tries to return the Habs to respectability...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394878

I REALLY like his down to earth feel.

Seems approachable, open and honest.

His passion for the game and the Canadiens appears real.

His knowledge of the NHL's western-type hockey is a plus.

Big fast tough hockey is what I hope he brings.

Good luck MB.

Very glad to see he's keeping Timmins. It shows that he's not the type of GM who has to have all his own people in, even if the incumbents have done a good job.

I'm not sure how long term Trevor's position is though. It may have been addressed beyond this draft and I missed it but from what I heard, MB said he'd be at the draft table in Pittsburgh but that's all he committed to. It would be stupid to fire the scouting director a few months before the draft because you'd be stuck with no one to run your draft. No team is going to let you get anyone on their amateur scouting side until after the draft anyway.

I wonder if Timmins' will be kept long term or if his destiny has even been decided, maybe MB wants to work with him on this draft and see how it goes from there?

I'm not sure how long term Trevor's position is though. It may have been addressed beyond this draft and I missed it but from what I heard, MB said he'd be at the draft table in Pittsburgh but that's all he committed to. It would be stupid to fire the scouting director a few months before the draft because you'd be stuck with no one to run your draft. No team is going to let you get anyone on their amateur scouting side until after the draft anyway.

I wonder if Timmins' will be kept long term or if his destiny has even been decided, maybe MB wants to work with him on this draft and see how it goes from there?

Oh, for sure, he might still get canned, but the fact that Bergevin is keeping Timmins through the draft, at least, demonstrates his willingness to lean on quality people even if they're not 'his guys.'

Very glad to see he's keeping Timmins. It shows that he's not the type of GM who has to have all his own people in, even if the incumbents have done a good job.

This gets him on my right side,using a bit of sense,keeping an asset instead of a friend,if he keeps this up I shall soon be won over.I am reserving judgment wait and see how he handles a few other things first.Lovely manner, really great, smile but at the end of the day,this is our team he holds the reins of,just want to make sure he does right by it.

GO MB GO <_< <_<

This gets him on my right side,using a bit of sense,keeping an asset instead of a friend,if he keeps this up I shall soon be won over.I am reserving judgment wait and see how he handles a few other things first.Lovely manner, really great, smile but at the end of the day,this is our team he holds the reins of,just want to make sure he does right by it.

GO MB GO <_< <_<

On the other hand, maddie, roy reminded me that we don't know for certain that he's keeping Timmins over the long haul. He's obviously keeping Trevor through the draft, because only an idiot would fire his scouting director before the draft takes place. Afterwards? We don't know. Same with Carriere. Both Carriere and Timmins are here until late June at least, but Bergevin may want to reassess afterwards. He may even have guys lined up to take over but is waiting until the draft is over to pull the trigger.

On the other hand, it may be stupid to let someone you don't want around running your draft. Kind of like with a GM, once you've lost confidence in him, it's probably better to fire him and go with no GM for a little while, rather than having a guy you don't trust making decisions. Of course, it could be that Bergevin trusts Timmins but feels there may be a better choice available, it's tough to say.

With that said, I kind of got the same impression as you from that press conference. It's tough to say if he was purposely being non-committal past the draft or by saying he'll be at the draft table he meant Timmins wasn't going anywhere,

“I took this job because I know I’m ready,” he said. “If I wasn’t ready for the challenge, I wouldn’t be here. I’m not scared of things I don’t know because I’m going to make sure I surround myself with the right people who can help me make the right decisions. Communication is about listening. The more information you have, the better informed you’ll be when you make your decisions. I’ll take all the responsibility for my decisions, but it’s a team effort and we’ll work together.”

Talk is cheap, I know, but I'm loving all the quotes so far. Most importantly he hasn't referred to anyone as "Mister". B)

Talk is cheap, I know, but I'm loving all the quotes so far. Most importantly he hasn't referred to anyone as "Mister". B)

Of course talk is cheap but really, nothing else BUT talk can really happen on someone's first day on a job :P

On the other hand, it may be stupid to let someone you don't want around running your draft. Kind of like with a GM, once you've lost confidence in him, it's probably better to fire him and go with no GM for a little while, rather than having a guy you don't trust making decisions. Of course, it could be that Bergevin trusts Timmins but feels there may be a better choice available, it's tough to say.

With that said, I kind of got the same impression as you from that press conference. It's tough to say if he was purposely being non-committal past the draft or by saying he'll be at the draft table he meant Timmins wasn't going anywhere,

Yeah but with the GM, you can fire a GM you don't like long term and have no GM for a short stretch of time and just not make any major moves. The draft is coming and we will have to pick, so maybe Bergevin feels Timmins is better than the alternative of someone who is completely unprepared to run a draft this year and there's no real chance left to go see a majority of the players and put in all the work required? We can't just have no scouting director. Or maybe he likes Timmins enough to trust him to run a draft but thinks there's a better alternative out there that he will be to get permission to speak to after the draft. It's hard to say with a new GM.

But I'm not saying he doesn't love Timmins, if you look at Timmins' body of work there's legitimate reason to keep him around and I hope he does stick around. I just don't know how to interpret MB's comments on Trevor, that's all.

Yeah but with the GM, you can fire a GM you don't like long term and have no GM for a short stretch of time and just not make any major moves. The draft is coming and we will have to pick, so maybe Bergevin feels Timmins is better than the alternative of someone who is completely unprepared to run a draft this year and there's no real chance left to go see a majority of the players and put in all the work required? We can't just have no scouting director. Or maybe he likes Timmins enough to trust him to run a draft but thinks there's a better alternative out there that he will be to get permission to speak to after the draft. It's hard to say with a new GM.

Those are definite possibilities; however, it isn't out of the question for Bergevin to run the draft himself (obviously listening to the scouts) or give the reins to someone under Timmins. But if it is a case of "he's okay but we could do better", then that may explain keeping him around short-term.

But I'm not saying he doesn't love Timmins, if you look at Timmins' body of work there's legitimate reason to keep him around and I hope he does stick around.

Perhaps the biggest thing hurting Timmins right now is the current state of Hamilton is not good. Good/bad drafting doesn't automatically equate to a good/bad farm team, but it is a concern. Overall I think he's done a good job, but there are some concerns.

I just don't know how to interpret MB's comments on Trevor, that's all.

I agree completely, it also struck me as weird the way he answered that question. We may be looking too much into it, but it was definitely odd that he didn't give a stronger endorsement.

Archived