The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

BIG BIRD'S RETURN?

133466360-218x150.jpg

BIG BIRD'S RETURN?

As the New Jersey Devils are preparing for the Eastern Conference Final, assistant coach Larry Robinson may have his eye on something further down the line. Robinson's agent Don Cape told La Presse on Wednesday that the former Canadiens defenceman is open to a possible return to Montreal in some capacity and would be ready to listen to an offer. Full Story.

I am actually surprised to hear of anything regarding LR's possible return, if only because the Devils are still playing. His coaching stats are very good, especially with NJ., and I believe he speaks French. We won't know one way or the other until NJ is out of the POs. He certainly knows the city and media.

Kind of lame of him to say this while the team he's currently employed by is still fighting for a Cup.

Would it be safe to say then that maybe .....he's not happy in N.J.?

If he waits until July 1, he might miss the boat. The only regret he should have is that the pesky media made a shrewd move public.

Think of it this way, if your ideal company were hiring now but you were still on your last project with your current company that has not tendered an extension wouldn't you apply or make contact for the new job now as well?

It's just business.

If he waits until July 1, he might miss the boat. The only regret he should have is that the pesky media made a shrewd move public.

Think of it this way, if your ideal company were hiring now but you were still on your last project with your current company that has not tendered an extension wouldn't you apply or make contact for the new job now as well?

It's just business.

Hockey is a different business than especially with the "team mentality". Put it this way, how would you feel if a player did it? If Carey or his people said half way through the series with Boston next year he'd like to play at home in Vancouver.

Anyway, when it comes to missing the boat all he'd have to do his have his agent privately leak to the Canadiens brass that he'd like to come, anything that would go public would probabyl be unnecessary

Either way, it doesn't really get me any more or less excited than any other name we've bandied about. Like everyone else, Robinson had better be put through the wringer if he does get interviewed for a position within the club. I could care less about any ex-player mentioning that they have interest. Roy, Robinson, or Carbonneau.

Agreed, but to be fair it's his agent saying it, not Robinson himself.

I knew that and probably should have been more clear but it doesn't change it for me, I highly doubt his agent just went rogue and made these comments without Robinson's blessing.

Kind of lame of him to say this while the team he's currently employed by is still fighting for a Cup.

I kind of agree, which is what leads me to believe he must REALLY want to work in montreal again.

Id have no problem bringing him in as an assistant, Im not sure he's the guy Id want to be our head coach, although there's no doubt there are worse choices.

I knew that and probably should have been more clear but it doesn't change it for me, I highly doubt his agent just went rogue and made these comments without Robinson's blessing.

I dunno, man, remember Allan Walsh with Halak? Seems like agents sometimes have trouble keeping their mouths shut and respecting decorum at key moments in a season. I mean, you could be right, and if you are, it lessens my respect for Robinson to see him putting his services out there while his own team is gearing up for the eastern conference final. But sometimes agents fire off on their own.

I dunno, man, remember Allan Walsh with Halak? Seems like agents sometimes have trouble keeping their mouths shut and respecting decorum at key moments in a season. I mean, you could be right, and if you are, it lessens my respect for Robinson to see him putting his services out there while his own team is gearing up for the eastern conference final. But sometimes agents fire off on their own.

I suppose that's fair but if I hired an agent to represent me and he was publicly saying things I didn't want said at a given time, he'd be looking for new work fast. It's unprofessional.

I suppose that's fair but if I hired an agent to represent me and he was publicly saying things I didn't want said at a given time, he'd be looking for new work fast. It's unprofessional.

Maybe Robinson is busy firing his own agent right now. ;) But you're right, it doesn't look good at all, and frankly that's not the kind of behavior I'd expect from a veteran coach and not the kind of focus I'd want from a member of my own coaching staff. Robinson just made himself LESS appealing as a candidate in my book.

Yes and no. I mean part of your job as an agent is to think about the future and deal with this crap so your client can focus on the task at hand (ie: winning a Stanley Cup). As much of an idiot as Walsh is, he did get Halak a good contract even though I'm sure a quiet/classy guy like Jaro probably wouldn't have loved the comments the guy was making.

Obviously going through the media at all is pretty unprofessional, but I also get how it can escalate. I mean he's obviously getting questions about whether Larry would want to come to Montreal, and he's basically just saying things like: "if we received a phone call we would certainly listen" and "Larry loved his time in Montreal" and the like.

Anyway, I agree it's still unprofessional and the right reply would be: "That is something that won't be addressed until the end of the season. Larry's only focus right now is helping the Devils win a Stanley Cup."

I guess all I'm saying is, sometimes to a certain extent I think almost your agent's duty to be unprofessional so you don't have to be. If it were my agent though, I wouldn't like it at all.

god bless dumb agents and even dumber newspapers for stirring up controversy. Sure Robinson would be open to coming back, but that doesn't mean he will. I'd be open to someone giving me 5 million dollars and sitting at home watching tv, doesn't mean it will happen though.

I'd be open to someone giving me 5 million dollars and sitting at home watching tv, doesn't mean it will happen though.

lol

If your name is Scott Gomez, that dream could become a reality.

lmao

Larry has done everything to come back to the habs. Was very vocal when they hired Martin, was upset he wasn't even called. Then it's came out (recently) that his agent has called several times, to say Larry was willing to come back and he would've been happy being an assistant coach.

Please don't make him beg Mr Molson, let him come home... His heart is clearly still in Montreal. That was pretty evident the night they retired his jersey.

Although, if he were to come here in an assistant role, it would have to be the head coach that agrees to have him on the team.

The guy has experience, has won a cup, still very close to hockey, still working behind the bench in NJ and obviously wants to be here. And it's not like he's just looking for a job, pretty sure NJ would have him back next season, how many times does he have to say he'd love to come back to Montreal before someone hears him?

Archived