The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nicklas Lidstrom is calling it a career.

LIDSTROM TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT THURSDAY

nicklaslidstrom_42949.jpg

Nicklas Lidstrom is calling it a career. The Red Wings have scheduled a news conference for Thursday in Detroit as sources tell TSN the 42-year-old will announce his retirement.

Full Story.

And of course.....sure he'll end up in management capacity .....what a run he has had....impressive.

Lidstrom is a gentleman and hockey will be lost without him,he is truely one of the greats.sad to see him go but he knows it's time to go.Perhaps now Pleks might get a look at the Selke.

Good luck to him he will be missed.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

Lidstrom is a gentleman and hockey will be lost without him,he is truely one of the greats.sad to see him go but he knows it's time to go.Perhaps now Pleks might get a look at the Selke.

Good luck to him he will be missed.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

Your thinking of Datsyuk, whos still only around 32 33 I think

I have him at a solid 5th, after Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, Eddie Shore and Red Kelly.

I posted this on a Facebook Fan page for a radio sports talk host I know, and will put it here as well. Please understand that they have a Michigan sports focus:

!. Bobby Orr

2. Doug Harvey

3. Eddie Shore

4. Red Kelly

5. Nicklas Lidstrom

6. Larry Robinson

7. Dennis Potvin

8. Serge Savard

9. Tim Horton

10. Brad Park

I also made the following comments as to why these guys were chosen over some other great defensemen:

There are three guys who played with the Wings here, Kelly, Lidstrom and Park. As great as Lidstrom has been, I cannot rate him ahead of Kelly, who not only starred on defense while with the Wings, but later starred late in his career at center for Toronto, helping them win 4 Cups in the 1960s. And that was on top of the 4 he won with the Wings.

The reason I have my Top 4 the way they are is because they are considered the guys who helped change the way defense is played in the NHL, Orr in particular. All of them were considered the finest at their position during the time in which they played, even though Doug Harvey was considered a better defenseman than Kelly. Kelly quarterbacked the great Wings dynasty of the early 1950s, while Harvey was the quarterback for the greatest team in hockey history, the late 1050's Canadiens, with such a great power play that the league had to change the rules so a goal scored during a two-minute penalty resulted in the end of said penalty. Eddie Shore was considered the finest defenseman in hockey during his time, and was the first true offensive-minded defenseman. Outside of Orr and Lidstrom, I believe the best hockey was played during the period when six teams played in the NHL, with Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard ruling the roost. These guys were the most dangerous players of that era, and probably the two most dangerous players ever not named Wayne Gretzky. And to have to play defense against those two guys was no easy task. Gretzky was so fundamentally sound and so good he made the post-expansion NHL look sick and forced teams to go into a defensive shell just to keep from getting run off the ice. I've also been impressed with Gretzky's Edmonton teammate Mark Messier. Not too many of today's greats could have played in the six-team era due to the higher quality of talent back then, but also because they would have had to play defense as well as offense, and would have never been able to withstand the abuse Howe and Richard had to put up with. This is not meant to take away from what Lidstrom accomplished, for he would have succeeded in the six-team era as well. This is meant to let everyone know what he would have encountered. I believe his spot on my list is accurate, as is my entire Top 10.