The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Michel Therrien

BigTed3

After listening to him on Team 990, he talks a good talk,,,,,discipline on and off the ice,,,,PP and PK,,,,,,coming to training camp in good shape,,,,,hardest working team etc., etc. He didn't mentions ACs.

Now that's it's soaked in a bit,,,,I'll give him 2-3 mons. to imprint his system and make that system work with the personnel we have.

After listening to him on Team 990, he talks a good talk,,,,,discipline on and off the ice,,,,PP and PK,,,,,,coming to training camp in good shape,,,,,hardest working team etc., etc. He didn't mentions ACs.

Now that's it's soaked in a bit,,,,I'll give him 2-3 mons. to imprint his system and make that system work with the personnel we have.

I'm worried about how Subban gets treated after everything MT has said about him on l'AntiChambre. :unsure:

I'm worried about how Subban gets treated after everything MT has said about him on l'AntiChambre. :unsure:

I'm worried as well but hopefully that's why Mellanby is there and hopefully he brings in a good AC to run the defense. Robinson would be best case IMO but someone newer/younger like a Brisebois or even Gill but I'm not too sure he's done playing yet

I'm worried as well but hopefully that's why Mellanby is there and hopefully he brings in a good AC to run the defense. Robinson would be best case IMO but someone newer/younger like a Brisebois or even Gill but I'm not too sure he's done playing yet

I'd be surprised if robinson leaves NJ to work for Therrien, but what do I know... I know Guy Carbonneau hasn't ruled out the job if approached, but I'd also wonder whether Therrien would ask another ex-Habs' coach from L'Anti-Chambre: Tremblay! He has experience as an assistant coach to Jacques Lemaire... again, not my first choice to bring back into the fold but I think it's as feasible as Carbonneau joining the staff. And martin Lapointe would be another option, as would Groulx and Veilleux from the Q and Clement Jodoin with Hamilton. And I wonder what Patrick roy will have to say at his press conference tomorrow. I doubt Patrick will come as an assistant, but would he think about the AHL job if Jodin moves up to the NHL?

I'd be surprised if robinson leaves NJ to work for Therrien, but what do I know... I know Guy Carbonneau hasn't ruled out the job if approached, but I'd also wonder whether Therrien would ask another ex-Habs' coach from L'Anti-Chambre: Tremblay! He has experience as an assistant coach to Jacques Lemaire... again, not my first choice to bring back into the fold but I think it's as feasible as Carbonneau joining the staff. And martin Lapointe would be another option, as would Groulx and Veilleux from the Q and Clement Jodoin with Hamilton. And I wonder what Patrick roy will have to say at his press conference tomorrow. I doubt Patrick will come as an assistant, but would he think about the AHL job if Jodin moves up to the NHL?

I was just about to post the exact same thing before I read this, Ted. I was thinking it might be smart to promote Clement Jodoin from the AHL to AC, and possibly hire Patrick Roy as HC of Hamilton. He'd have a lot of junior players coming up to work with, some of which he's seen over the past couple years in the Q, and the Head Coaching experience in Hamilton will definitely look good on his resume IMO. Plus, when Therrien doesn't work out, we can always promote him :P

I just did a bit of research, and it turns out that Jodoin was apparently an assistant coach during the time of Vigneault and Therrien's first stint here. Could there be a connection there, perhaps??? I say apparently because I don't remember all that much about coaches from that time period.

I'll say this: I find the innuendo about hiring Therrien based on language to be bigotry, plain and simple. Let him sink or swim on his own merits. Bergevin seems to have canvassed pretty thoroughly before settling on Therrien, and while we may not like the hire -- I know I don't -- Therrien does at least have success in the NHL behind the bench. He's not a nobody, not unqualified, and he didn't get this job because he happens to speak French. That's insulting to him and to Quebec in general. Look around the league. Is the right man always hired for the job? You think anglophone GMs don't make mistakes? Nobody wanted Bob Hartley here and yet an anglophone, Jay Feaster, hired him in Calgary. Vigneault got extended in Vancouver, and Julien won a Cup with Boston. You're telling me French-Canadian coaches can't coach? Nonsense. And don't give me this garbage about hiring only the best person for the job. Part of the 'job' here is communication, not just with the team but within the sports community in Montreal. That's the market here, deal with it and let's stop whining about how things should be different.

What's encouraging to me is that he seems more humble this time around in his interviews. The fact that he's admitted he is still learning and has evolved as a coach is hopeful. Let's pray it's not all smoke and mirrors as i fear the rope is pretty short with the fanbase. Win and your a hero,,,,lose and the hangman awaits. I wonder how much professional courtesy he's earned with l'antichambre? How much time does he have before the beasts devour their own? Should be interesting.

Guest archey

so guys?

one possible explanation about who MT is and the rant on PK is that he highly values individual practices and will not pretend to hold the job of making hockey players professionals..that he expects one to perform to a level of enjoying being a player on its own merits and sees glory or self satisfaction only on the level of inner self and has nothing to do with fame or accolades..

possible? or i'm off the beam?

Just as a matter of comparison, I thought I'd take a look at the 29 other coaches who started the season in the NHL in 2008-09, the last year Therrien coached.

We have 6 who remain in the same job they started with (Babcock, Julien, Vigneault, ruff, Trotz, and mcLellan). Of the 23 others who have since been fired or left their posts, 8 completed the 2011-12 season as a head coach in another city (renney, Brent Sutter, Hitchcock, Laviolette, Carlyle, Tippett, Boudreau, DeBoer). Jacques Lemaire left coaching by choice and is more or less retired at this point. That leaves us with 14 of Therrien's colleagues who were not employed as head coaches in 2011-12, so let's look at that group in more detail:

- John Stevens was fired by Phi in 09-10 but jumped back on with LA the following year as an assistant. He hasn't been out of hockey for a full year.

- Andy murray was canned by the Blues in 09-10 as well. He took a year off and has since been back in the game as a head coach at the collegiate and international levels.

- Scott Gordon made it until 10-11 before being given the boot by the Isles and landed a job as an assistant with Tor this past season.

- Craig Hartsburg was fired by Ott in 08-09, spent two years in the WHL and re-joined the NHL as an assistant this past season.

- ron Wilson made it through to 2012 with Toronto before being fired.

- Craig mactavish was canned by Edm in 08-09 and took time off to work at TSN before getting back into the head coaching ranks this past season in the AHL.

- Tony Granato was sacked in 08-09 but joined the Pens as an assistant coach the next season, where he's been since.

- Terry murray made it up until the current season as the coach in LA.

- John Anderson lasted one more season in Atlanta, took a season away and has been an assistant coach in Phx for the past season.

So that leaves us with 6 coaches from the cohort of 08-09 who have decided not to coach since they were fired that season: Wayne Gretzky (whom most people believe will never coach again after that dreadful experiment), Barry melrose (who will likely never coach again either after his failed comeback attempt that season), Denis Savard, mike keenan, and two of our finalists, michel Therrien and Guy Carbonneau. Other than keenan, who has some laurels to fall back on, I can't see any of those other 6 being offered another NHL coaching gig without putting in their dues as an assistant or minor league coach. So why is it that we considered two of those guys to be among our top choices? Why is it that we bypassed all the other guys with head coaching experience who have stayed in coaching in some capacity? Why is it that we felt the need to go back to a coach who we've recycled from a prior stint here? Is it because of the language limitation? Is it because of Bergevin's personal connection to his friends? It's not that common to see a guy deemed the strongest candidate for a job when he's been out of the game for over 3 years, and I don't think any of us would deem those other 5 guys worthy, so why is Therrien?

Just as a matter of comparison, I thought I'd take a look at the 29 other coaches who started the season in the NHL in 2008-09, the last year Therrien coached.

We have 6 who remain in the same job they started with (Babcock, Julien, Vigneault, ruff, Trotz, and mcLellan). Of the 23 others who have since been fired or left their posts, 8 completed the 2011-12 season as a head coach in another city (renney, Brent Sutter, Hitchcock, Laviolette, Carlyle, Tippett, Boudreau, DeBoer). Jacques Lemaire left coaching by choice and is more or less retired at this point. That leaves us with 14 of Therrien's colleagues who were not employed as head coaches in 2011-12, so let's look at that group in more detail:

- John Stevens was fired by Phi in 09-10 but jumped back on with LA the following year as an assistant. He hasn't been out of hockey for a full year.

- Andy murray was canned by the Blues in 09-10 as well. He took a year off and has since been back in the game as a head coach at the collegiate and international levels.

- Scott Gordon made it until 10-11 before being given the boot by the Isles and landed a job as an assistant with Tor this past season.

- Craig Hartsburg was fired by Ott in 08-09, spent two years in the WHL and re-joined the NHL as an assistant this past season.

- ron Wilson made it through to 2012 with Toronto before being fired.

- Craig mactavish was canned by Edm in 08-09 and took time off to work at TSN before getting back into the head coaching ranks this past season in the AHL.

- Tony Granato was sacked in 08-09 but joined the Pens as an assistant coach the next season, where he's been since.

- Terry murray made it up until the current season as the coach in LA.

- John Anderson lasted one more season in Atlanta, took a season away and has been an assistant coach in Phx for the past season.

So that leaves us with 6 coaches from the cohort of 08-09 who have decided not to coach since they were fired that season: Wayne Gretzky (whom most people believe will never coach again after that dreadful experiment), Barry melrose (who will likely never coach again either after his failed comeback attempt that season), Denis Savard, mike keenan, and two of our finalists, michel Therrien and Guy Carbonneau. Other than keenan, who has some laurels to fall back on, I can't see any of those other 6 being offered another NHL coaching gig without putting in their dues as an assistant or minor league coach. So why is it that we considered two of those guys to be among our top choices? Why is it that we bypassed all the other guys with head coaching experience who have stayed in coaching in some capacity? Why is it that we felt the need to go back to a coach who we've recycled from a prior stint here? Is it because of the language limitation? Is it because of Bergevin's personal connection to his friends? It's not that common to see a guy deemed the strongest candidate for a job when he's been out of the game for over 3 years, and I don't think any of us would deem those other 5 guys worthy, so why is Therrien?

Nicely put, Ted

Nicely put, Ted

+1, great job.

It is certainly unsual to hire someone who hasn't coached in 3 years. (He hasn't been out of the game for 3 years). Hard to know the reasons, as even if you don't believe he could have gotten an NHL head coaching job in that time, he could have certainly gotten an AHL or at least a junior position, or probably a job as an assistant somewhere. Maybe he enjoyed the change of being a pro scout for a while?

+1, great job.

It is certainly unsual to hire someone who hasn't coached in 3 years. (He hasn't been out of the game for 3 years). Hard to know the reasons, as even if you don't believe he could have gotten an NHL head coaching job in that time, he could have certainly gotten an AHL or at least a junior position, or probably a job as an assistant somewhere. Maybe he enjoyed the change of being a pro scout for a while?

And that's Therrien's prerogative. If the guy wants to work as a scout or take time off to spend with his family, good on him for doing what he wants at a personal level. But as a general manager, unless I'm hiring a guy with boatloads of experience and a pedigree for winning in the past, I'd be very hesitant to go after a guy who's been out of the game (by which I mean the coaching game) for 3+ years, unless that guy went back to the AHL/Europe/juniors/assistant coaching ranks first. As you said, he certainly had options on where he could have gone. Bob Hartley went to Europe, other guys have gone to the khl, Craig mactavish and kirk muller went to the AHL... these guys sucked it up and did what they had to in order to hone their skills and c.v.'s. That's life. You rarely see someone offered a great job in any field after sitting out 3+ years from the work force. As I said, it really begs the question as to how well this hiring process of evaluating potential coaches was done if 2 of the top 3 candidates haven't coached in any meaningful capacity in over three years. Good on Therrien and Bergevin if i works out, but it's a huge gamble on Bergevin's part because if it doesn't, he's really got no argument to back up what he did. Compare that to PG's trade for kaberle, which in retrospect didn't work as we would have liked, but which at the time, made sense for our club. Lots of people have played armchair g.m. and flogged Gauthier for the move in retrospect, but at the time it was done, we sorely needed help on the PP and he was the best guy available without giving up an asset of significance. Bergevin's decision, on the other hand, doesn't make much sense now and that is what concerns me.

Guest habs1952

And that's Therrien's prerogative. If the guy wants to work as a scout or take time off to spend with his family, good on him for doing what he wants at a personal level. But as a general manager, unless I'm hiring a guy with boatloads of experience and a pedigree for winning in the past, I'd be very hesitant to go after a guy who's been out of the game (by which I mean the coaching game) for 3+ years, unless that guy went back to the AHL/Europe/juniors/assistant coaching ranks first. As you said, he certainly had options on where he could have gone. Bob Hartley went to Europe, other guys have gone to the khl, Craig mactavish and kirk muller went to the AHL... these guys sucked it up and did what they had to in order to hone their skills and c.v.'s. That's life. You rarely see someone offered a great job in any field after sitting out 3+ years from the work force. As I said, it really begs the question as to how well this hiring process of evaluating potential coaches was done if 2 of the top 3 candidates haven't coached in any meaningful capacity in over three years. Good on Therrien and Bergevin if i works out, but it's a huge gamble on Bergevin's part because if it doesn't, he's really got no argument to back up what he did. Compare that to PG's trade for kaberle, which in retrospect didn't work as we would have liked, but which at the time, made sense for our club. Lots of people have played armchair g.m. and flogged Gauthier for the move in retrospect, but at the time it was done, we sorely needed help on the PP and he was the best guy available without giving up an asset of significance. Bergevin's decision, on the other hand, doesn't make much sense now and that is what concerns me.

Maybe over the last 3 years Therrien has had a chance, as an analyst, to observe different coaching styles and pick up the finer points of what makes a coach successful.

Guest archey

Key word here is "Maybe". :mellow:

how do you spell maybe? :lol::lol:

i definately think that if MT speaks french maybe should be may be..but that's just me... :P

Maybe over the last 3 years Therrien has had a chance, as an analyst, to observe different coaching styles and pick up the finer points of what makes a coach successful.

So taking the Penguins to the Finals a few years back, doesn't make him successful?

Not when the next year he has them in 9th place till a rookie takes the reins and wins them the cup against the same team they lost to a year prior. Not to mention he was supposedly not very appreciated by his star players.

Archived