The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Red Fisher Announces Retirement

BigTed3

Didn't really care much for his work, just found it to be of another generation (that applies to everyone at the Gazette when it comes to the Habs) but it's hard not to respect him and all that he's seen. Hope he enjoys retirement.

I heard that Bergevin was bringing him in as vice assistant to the director of player personnel

LOL.

Fisher personifies part of what's wrong with the employment situation in this country: superannuated dinosaurs hanging on years and decades after their best-before date, taking jobs away from younger, better, more qualified professionals who need to put food on the table for their families.

I enjoyed his work until the turn of the century. I'll echo others comments that he needed to retire way back then. Now if he can only convince Cherry to do the same. :rolleyes:

LOL.

Fisher personifies part of what's wrong with the employment situation in this country: superannuated dinosaurs hanging on years and decades after their best-before date, taking jobs away from younger, better, more qualified professionals who need to put food on the table for their families.

so does that mean your applying for the job? ;)

so does that mean your applying for the job? ;)

Nah, I've been out of the journalism game for a long time. :) But we have the same problem in academia: professors who just won't retire, taking jobs away from people just out of the PhD who need work. I need to feed my family -- the fossil is upset because he won't be able to afford his second country home if he retires.

I was a lil sad to read about his retirement this morning on HIO. I've been reading his articles all my life and he use to select the games 3 stars.

As sad as i am to see him retire, it was his time. I found in later years he seemed almost absent minded and at times almost clueless.

He had a good long run, hope he enjoys his retirement.

Thanks for the 2+ decades of bathroom/morning coffee reading Red!

Love him or hate him, Red Fisher is an institution when it comes to sportswriting coverage of the NHL. He's clearly one of the most respected people in his industry. Here's the story:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Legendary+Fisher+calls+career/6750726/story.html

Well put Ted and he's an icon for English sport fans in and around the Montreal are. Like i mentioned in my previous post, I was a kid when the old forum use to wcho the words, "And now for the stars of tonight game, selected by Red Fisher".

Nah, I've been out of the journalism game for a long time. :) But we have the same problem in academia: professors who just won't retire, taking jobs away from people just out of the PhD who need work. I need to feed my family -- the fossil is upset because he won't be able to afford his second country home if he retires.

I didn't know English literature professors frequently break 6 figures.

Realistically, a lot of people don't retire because they can't afford to. In the case of Red, I have no idea how much he was paid, but I would not be surprised if his salary was mediocre, say $40,000/year, and thus he had to keep working.

At U of T, they do. Routinely. But even without breaking six figures, you can still make a pretty good living.

Realistically, a lot of people don't retire because they can't afford to. In the case of Red, I have no idea how much he was paid, but I would not be surprised if his salary was mediocre, say $40,000/year, and thus he had to keep working.

Even if his salary were mediocre, he's been working for a ridiculous length of time, and had a chance to make a life with his family in an era where property was affordable, without having to pay down debt from higher education, because it wasn't required to get a decent job. As late as the '70s, you didn't really need much education to become a journalist. If he couldn't retire on what he made, he likely wasn't very good at managing his money, which is not anyone's problem but his.

I think you could also factor in that he probably loved his job. A number of people put off retirement because they really can't see themselves not coming to work every day, and in the case of a beat journalist, the line between work and hobby/sport is somewhat blurred. I doubt anyone goes into sportswriting just for the money (although yes, it's entirely possible he couldn't afford to retire); at this point, who he is as a writer probably defines a large part of who he is as a person, and that's not always easy to walk away from.

LOL.

Seriously?!?!?

You couldn't just write: Great career,good luck like the rest of us. Come on he's 85 and an icon. Leave a few stones unturned on this forum. Leave it alone and respect the longevity. Wow.

Seriously?!?!?

You couldn't just write: Great career,good luck like the rest of us. Come on he's 85 and an icon. Leave a few stones unturned on this forum. Leave it alone and respect the longevity. Wow.

I write what I believe, as do you. I'm not going to give Red Fisher adulation just because you feel anything else is inappropriate, sorry.

Seriously?!?!?

Were all entitled to our own opinions here, some people prefer his articles others don't, I usually enjoy reading the gazette articles either for a few laughs, or because maybe one day Ill actually find a good point in what they have to say, i have before and Im sure I will again.

That being said, I think weep raises a good point, some people in competitive job markets IE teaching spend too long in their positions and take the jobs from younger teachers. I think of all the old supply teachers who are brutal at what they do when theres so many young people looking for those jobs that would be much more suited to gaining expereince. Relate it to hockey: Instead of calling up prospects from the minors to give them NHL seasoning all you do is call up the same 38-40 year olds who are well past their prime.

Seriously?!?!?

I personally didn't see a problem with the post. He's very much entitled to his opinion like anybody else in here posting within board rules. I would hope that nobody gets upset once my opinion is posted, after Don Cherry or Bob Cole finally retire. There's bound to be a variety of opinions both pro and con on both (what many consider) icons. Unfortunately, many of these guys tarnish their reputations by hanging on for years, well after the writing was on the wall. If they're judged by those final years of their careers, then they only have themselves to blame IMO.

Seriously?!?!?

He's entitled to his opinion like anyone else on the forum.

Personally for me, I feel like Red's a part of my childhood. From the day I started reading sports articles til today, I read his section. Knowing he's retirement, is kinda like realizing I'm not a teenager anymore, he's grown older and so have I.

I found with time I agreed with him less and less. Don't know if that had to do with me gaining knowledge or him slowly losing it. Red is 85, my father died a year ago today and he was 83. My father wasn't as sharp as he once was, had multiple degrees, had several masters and even a doctrine. Yet, in his last 10 years, he was not as keen as he once was, sad yes, but we'll all get there one day.

Even if Red is losing it, I grew up reading his sports section. Knowing he's retiring, is almost like realizing the innocence of my youth is gone.

But that's me.

Were all entitled to our own opinions here, some people prefer his articles others don't, I usually enjoy reading the gazette articles either for a few laughs, or because maybe one day Ill actually find a good point in what they have to say, i have before and Im sure I will again.

That being said, I think weep raises a good point, some people in competitive job markets IE teaching spend too long in their positions and take the jobs from younger teachers. I think of all the old supply teachers who are brutal at what they do when theres so many young people looking for those jobs that would be much more suited to gaining expereince. Relate it to hockey: Instead of calling up prospects from the minors to give them NHL seasoning all you do is call up the same 38-40 year olds who are well past their prime.

HTB I was going to write this poem on the MT thread when you said about the ages of the new coaches but I think it's even more appropriate here.

Age is just a number so I have been told

It has nothing to do with being old

Being old is all about perception

HTB of which you can have no conception

I don't mean to sound rude,but you are too young to see

What being old could possibly be

It's all about how you percieve the way you live

It all depends on what you have to give,

If the years pile up,and you let them take their toll

And you no longer appreciate rock and roll

If you forget what it is too be young

And you no longer know how to have fun

If everything the kids do is wrong

Then you are singing an old persons song

Being old can be seen in your eyes

Their the windows to the soul and don't tell lies

I have known young people old beyond their years

They make me sad, bring me to tears

Though my years are 3 twenties and seven

My grandkids tell me I have just reached eleven

Being old is all in the mind

I am glad to say I am not that kind.

GO HABS GO :wacko: :wacko:

HTB I was going to write this poem on the MT thread when you said about the ages of the new coaches but I think it's even more appropriate here.

Well said Maddie :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know. I never said ALL old teachers are bad at their jobs maddie, its just that some are and I think they need to realize that :P

Great poem! Another thing, when you look at the alternative, getting old is just fine.

Archived