The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week

BigTed3

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these contracts would you sign a ufa defenceman to if you were Bergevin?

• Suter at 7 years, 7.2m cap hit
    • Carle at 6 years, 6.0m cap hit
    • Wideman at 5 years, 4.8m cap hit
    • Jackman at 4 years, 3.9m cap hit
    • None of the above

There aren't too many top 4 defencemen available on the market right now. Of the above ufa's, let's assume their agents come to you saying they have these offers from other clubs and want to know if you would match them to sign their players... which would you take? No negotiations allowed. If you don't want them at that price, they will sign elsewhere, so select "none of the above" as your answer.

I picked wideman, I like him and I think it'd be more realistic than Suter and I don't see Carle fitting in without moving Markov. I would like to see wideman a little cheaper but with the UFA market what it is I can see him scoring a decent pay day

Looking at the question as worded, I've got to pick Suter. It may be a pipe dream to get him here, but if his agent came to us and said "he WILL play in Montreal for 7 years at 7.2M if you'll give it to him" I wouldn't turn them down.

Edit: I'll add that I do realize that 7+ million is a lot of money, but I'll say that if we're going to be overpaying for someone we're better off overpaying for the best and filling the rest of the roster with cheaper contracts.

I am the one that voted none from the above. Sutter and Carle aren't signing in Montreal and Wideman and Jackman aren't a clear upgrade to a well conditioned Kaberle. I am more of a fan of a stop gap solution, short term, until our prospects are ready.

I am the one that voted none from the above. Sutter and Carle aren't signing in Montreal and Wideman and Jackman aren't a clear upgrade to a well conditioned Kaberle. I am more of a fan of a stop gap solution, short term, until our prospects are ready.

I hear that and that's my thinking as well. Unfortunately, there's no gaurantee that our prospects will ever be ready or if they'll be top 1-4 or closer to 6-7.

So, making a pitch for a proven player may not be a bad idea. Young dmen are so hard to evaluate, Gorges was never even drafted, now he's a solid 4th (who can play top line in a crunch) with great leadership.

Guest habs1952

Jackman for 4 years. Just long enough for some of the kids to come along. If needed we can always sign another free agent in 4 years or make a trade. If we didn't have Kaberle or Markov on the books for 2 more years I probably would have gone with Suter.

Suter would be the only guy that i would consider a no miss homerun out of that bunch, but i see no way to work that into our budget without some major roster adjustments down the road. I have a feeling we won't be adding that top 4 D man this summer that we're all calling for. I see the role being filled from within by committee (Emelin, Kaberle ) for now.

You're not alone on none of the above. I'm not excited about overspending and would like to see our own get a better chance to prove themselves. We spent a lot of time playing with inexperienced D(Subban, Emelin, Diaz, StDenis ect.) last season. Let's see how the off-season has helped them. I am comfortable going into the season with $5-10M cap space and wait for desperate team to come calling. What if CBJ came calling part way thru season looking for good quality quantity for great quality, as in Weber?

Archived