The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Vancouver Canucks 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Luongo states in a radio interview he expects to leave Vancouver and could end up with the Blackhawks.

I heard Florida and Toronto were the front runners because they didn't want to deal him in conference. Maybe the other 2 teams are starting to fizzle out then

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard Florida and Toronto were the front runners because they didn't want to deal him in conference. Maybe the other 2 teams are starting to fizzle out then

According to NHL.com, a trade involving Luongo and Florida is being help by too high an asking price on top prospect Nick Bjugstad. The Panthers would have to decide on what to do with goalie prospect Jacob Markstrom. If Markstrom is a good as stated, a trade for Luongo would not be feasible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NHL.com. Ryan Kesler is still rehabbing from shoulder and wrist surgery and doesn't expect to ready until January.

He is quite the player but has an attitude and no doubt is quiteeeeee injury prone lol.. sedin sister's too scared to battle.. the defense isn't capable so they need to trade robby lou for a top 3 dman. janik hansen is really great.. probably should not have traded hodgson.. i would have trade RK17 instead. I believe they are grasping at straws to try and become cup contenders they were but imo they were pretenders.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UNCERTAIN FUTURE.......Luongo

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412999

How that 12 year contract makes him attractive to any team is beyond me,,,especially with this new CBA making it tougher to dump a player in the minors if he under performs or refuses to retire when he's a 100. :lol:

That amnesty buyout is only good for 2 years.

How that 12 year contract makes him attractive to any team is beyond me,,,especially with this new CBA making it tougher to dump a player in the minors if he under performs or refuses to retire when he's a 100. :lol:

That amnesty buyout is only good for 2 years.

True.

Luongo will be how old when his deal expires? I sort of like how the new rules put pressure on clubs a little more for these dumb deals. We have nothing to worry about, but anyone taking on Luongo may have A LOT to worry about in the coming few seasons. Can't bury him in the minors (as far as I know) and can't buy him out after the amnesty period ends.

I have a feeling Vancouver may end up having to buy him out themselves. Are Toronto really dumb enough to make a deal?

If Vancouver does buy him out, though, they're giving away a whooooole lot of money (even for a well-off team like the Canucks). It might not count against their cap, sure, but they'd still have to pay out 2/3 of his contract while watching him sign and play for another team for presumably much less. That's a tough hit for an owner to take, especially since the same GM who signed him is still running things. Gillis will have a lot of explaining to do if he can't trade him.

To be honest, it's kind of fun to watch a team struggle so much with one of these long-term mega deals - up until now we've only been able to sit by and watch as teams got to play star players without comitting to the high cap hit. It'll be interesting (and kind of fun :) ) to see how this turns out.

Guest habs1952

If Vancouver does buy him out, though, they're giving away a whooooole lot of money (even for a well-off team like the Canucks). It might not count against their cap, sure, but they'd still have to pay out 2/3 of his contract while watching him sign and play for another team for presumably much less. That's a tough hit for an owner to take, especially since the same GM who signed him is still running things. Gillis will have a lot of explaining to do if he can't trade him.

To be honest, it's kind of fun to watch a team struggle so much with one of these long-term mega deals - up until now we've only been able to sit by and watch as teams got to play star players without comitting to the high cap hit. It'll be interesting (and kind of fun :) ) to see how this turns out.

Finally, Hab fans can brag we no longer have the worst contact in the league. A team/GM/owner would have to be insane to trade for Luongo.