The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Philadelphia Flyers 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

• 2 weeks later...

NHL.com. Flyers sign Nashville defenseman to 14 year $110 million offer sheet. Nashville will have a week to match the offer which is when we'll find out how dumb or desparate Nashville is or both.

I am fairly surprised that the NHL has not deemed the contract invalid. It goes against everything that the salary cap intended. The contract is totally front end loaded and the final 3 years are just a joke at $1 per season. It is really $110 - $3 = $107 million for 14 years - 3 years = 11 real years making the REAL cap hit $9.72 million. A farce of the NHL salary cap. With the NHL claiming it is financially broke how can the Wild and Flyers be throwing money around so easily? Because the NHL is not financially broke. The fans of hockey are paying a lot of money for tickets, NHL Center Ice, merchandise, and watching hockey on TV / Internet. The NHL is not financially broke. However I will not be travelling to watch any live NHL hockey if the rich / stupid owners lock out the players. Clearly the NHL owners are not in financial trouble with these stupid contracts.

I think that the Predators should ask the NHL to either null and void the Flyers contract offer or at the very least deem it to be worth 4 1st round draft picks. And I think that the Predators should then take the 4 1st round draft picks.

I don't like the 14 year offer sheet for Weber. The NHL players should love the offer sheet however maybe they are also wrong in that it is playing into the rich NHL teams hands like the Flyers. I don't like that PK Subban has not be re-signed. I hope no NHL makes an offer for Subban as it can be hard to match the offer sheet until our management and owner deal with Kaberle and Gomez contracts. I can only assume that management is looking for some type of buy out in the new CBA that will allow our team to deal with those two contracts without having to put the huge salary in AHL. But if a huge offer sheet is put for Subban by the Red Wings or Flyers or Preds I think that our team will have to match the offer sheet and then put Gomez in the AHL.

I am fairly surprised that the NHL has not deemed the contract invalid. It goes against everything that the salary cap intended. The contract is totally front end loaded and the final 3 years are just a joke at $1 per season. It is really $110 - $3 = $107 million for 14 years - 3 years = 11 real years making the REAL cap hit $9.72 million. A farce of the NHL salary cap. With the NHL claiming it is financially broke how can the Wild and Flyers be throwing money around so easily? Because the NHL is not financially broke. The fans of hockey are paying a lot of money for tickets, NHL Center Ice, merchandise, and watching hockey on TV / Internet. The NHL is not financially broke. However I will not be travelling to watch any live NHL hockey if the rich / stupid owners lock out the players. Clearly the NHL owners are not in financial trouble with these stupid contracts.

I think that the Predators should ask the NHL to either null and void the Flyers contract offer or at the very least deem it to be worth 4 1st round draft picks. And I think that the Predators should then take the 4 1st round draft picks.

I don't like the 14 year offer sheet for Weber. The NHL players should love the offer sheet however maybe they are also wrong in that it is playing into the rich NHL teams hands like the Flyers. I don't like that PK Subban has not be re-signed. I hope no NHL makes an offer for Subban as it can be hard to match the offer sheet until our management and owner deal with Kaberle and Gomez contracts. I can only assume that management is looking for some type of buy out in the new CBA that will allow our team to deal with those two contracts without having to put the huge salary in AHL. But if a huge offer sheet is put for Subban by the Red Wings or Flyers or Preds I think that our team will have to match the offer sheet and then put Gomez in the AHL.

The problem I have with offer sheets is that in order to get a player to sign one AND have the other team refuse to match, you have to be offering the player an extreme overpayment...or go to a team that is in severe salary cap turmoil. The thing IMO is entirely pointless. The NHL should just get rid of em and make young players the rights of their drafted team unless traded until the player turns 25. With the option to renegotiate salary after 3 years, then when they turn 25 they have the option to negotiate exclusively with their own team for an offseason or go into UFA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...