The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Jersey Devils 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agreed it will prove to Gary Bettman if he still has his job that some of those teams need to be moved to Canada, a more hockey country.

The salary cap does even out the playing field some. They`d probably have a better chance surviving in Canada since Canadians love their hockey and the NHL team won`t have to compete for fans/TV coverage against the NFL, NBA and MLB.

The salary cap does even out the playing field some. They`d probably have a better chance surviving in Canada since Canadians love their hockey and the NHL team won`t have to compete for fans/TV coverage against the NFL, NBA and MLB.

They could lower the cap to 50 mil. and some US teams would still find a way to lose money. I don't understand why the NHL even considers the Sunbelt teams, to be a viable option, as far as being a money-maker. I am sure that, "back in the day" (1967) when they expanded to 12 teams that there were no equalization payments. You either sank or swam (California Golden Seals,,anyone?). I REALLY do not know why the BOG/Owners, permits this. Most of the NHL teams have to compete with either the NFL, NBA, or Baseball leagues, for fan support. Those leagues have been established for years, and most of those die-hard fans will not try something new.

I TRULY believe, that teams in Quebec, Hamilton, another team in T.O. (more reason to hate the T.O. teams :D ), and maybe (hopefully) Kitchener, maybe , even Halifax/Dartmouth, would help solve some of the problems with the league. IMO, teams there, would make a run for the money, compared to the loser teams in the U.S.

Why the NHL persists in going overseas to promote the game, is beyond me.

They could lower the cap to 50 mil. and some US teams would still find a way to lose money. I don't understand why the NHL even considers the Sunbelt teams, to be a viable option, as far as being a money-maker. I am sure that, "back in the day" (1967) when they expanded to 12 teams that there were no equalization payments. You either sank or swam (California Golden Seals,,anyone?). I REALLY do not know why the BOG/Owners, permits this. Most of the NHL teams have to compete with either the NFL, NBA, or Baseball leagues, for fan support. Those leagues have been established for years, and most of those die-hard fans will not try something new.

I TRULY believe, that teams in Quebec, Hamilton, another team in T.O. (more reason to hate the T.O. teams :D ), and maybe (hopefully) Kitchener, maybe , even Halifax/Dartmouth, would help solve some of the problems with the league. IMO, teams there, would make a run for the money, compared to the loser teams in the U.S.

Why the NHL persists in going overseas to promote the game, is beyond me.

Atlanta flames as well crumbled, so did a Seattle team. Not sure if they were part of the first or 2nd expansion.

The cities/towns you mentioned that are in Canada are great cities/town for jr hockey. Not sure Kitchener is big enough for an NHL team. My x-wife was from that region and although Kitchener/Cambridge are great for OHL teams, not sure they could survive in the NHL. The one thing that US cities have over most Canadian cities is population.

Hockey has obviously grown in the states over the past 30-40 years.

I'm with you, why is Gary so set on Phoenix and places like Las Vegas?

They tried Atlanta twice and it didn't work. Why not give a city like Hartford another shot or another city in the northern states?

It seems kinda simple to me, first try and AHL team and see how it goes. If the AHL team thrives in that market (like really thrives), move the AHL team then try an NHL team.

It sucks for the AHL team to have to move and I'm sure the AHL will having something to say about it. But it seems like a good way to see if there is interest in hockey in the region. But you get the point I'm getting at, do some research, see how hockey works on the lower levels and then move on from there.

Was so funny last year, Winnipeg kept getting excited over the possibility of the yotes coming back home and becoming the Jets. Sale looked good, then it didn't, Bettman kept sticking his nose in there and basically forcing Phoenix to keep the yotes(despite not having an owner for over a year). When Winnipeg were finally denied, they said, "hey Gary, what about the thrashers?", Gary's reply,"The who... Oh yeah, you can have them, they're yours...".

He didn't bat an eyelash over the thrashers moving(took him 5 seconds to decide), but the yotes... That would be like moving an original 6 team. And really, it may have caused some stir with the divisions, but the conferences would've stayed the same. Winnipeg has always been considered a western team. I have never been able to figure out bettman's obsession with hockey in the desert.

Why isn't he that protective of a team like the isles who have history, Stanley Cup history and some of the best players of the late 70's and early 80's?

There has to be a lot going on behind the scenes that we aren't aware of, just doesn't make sense.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NHL.com. Devils sign Travis Zajac to an 8 year $46 million deal to start with the 2013-14 season. Terms were not disclosed by the team, the terms were reported by ESPN.com.

144983352-430x296.jpg

Travis Zajac will be a New Jersey Devil for the foreseeable future. The club announced that the 27-year-old signed a long-term contract on Wednesday that, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, is worth $46 million over eight years, with a yearly cap hit of $5.75 million.

Full Story.

• 2 weeks later...