The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Toronto Maple Leafs 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

He's made some pretty glaring mistakes but he's also done a good job taking a farm system that was totally bare and making it productive. Weird move, must have been a personality clash.

I feel like something weird had to have happened, and recently. This move doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and the timing makes even less sense. He hasn't brought them to the promised land yet as many Torontonians prophesized, but I think he could have also done far worse as GM.

He's made some pretty glaring mistakes but he's also done a good job taking a farm system that was totally bare and making it productive. Weird move, must have been a personality clash.

Maybe between Dave Nonis & Burke.....regarding bringing Luongo into leaf land & the length of a contract??

I feel like something weird had to have happened, and recently. This move doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and the timing makes even less sense. He hasn't brought them to the promised land yet as many Torontonians prophesized, but I think he could have also done far worse as GM.

May simply be a case of the new owners wanting to dismantle the dictatorship that BB was granted when he was hired. I don't get the timing, but maybe those Luongo rumours have legs.

May simply be a case of the new owners wanting to dismantle the dictatorship that BB was granted when he was hired. I don't get the timing, but maybe those Luongo rumours have legs.

But a GM should have complete and total control otherwise you have the situation JFJ was in prior to Burke's arrival, strings clearly being pulled by the board in the hunt of a few home playoff dates.

Dreger said those Luongo rumors aren't true, think Mckenzie did as well. Seems like a personality clash. If they really hated the way Burke was running the hockey team, the logical move isn't probably to hire his right hand man on anything other than an interim basis.

But a GM should have complete and total control otherwise you have the situation JFJ was in prior to Burke's arrival, strings clearly being pulled by the board in the hunt of a few home playoff dates.

Dreger said those Luongo rumors aren't true, think Mckenzie did as well. Seems like a personality clash. If they really hated the way Burke was running the hockey team, the logical move isn't probably to hire his right hand man on anything other than an interim basis.

You won't get an argument from me roy but it might not be the situation the new owners want. It's their money so i suppose they have that privilege.

We may never hear the real reason he was let go.

There is a clash with new ownership for sure. From a production standpoint how many times did they make the playoffs with Burke?

ZERO

Very true. It's more then enough reason to justify letting him go. It's the timing of it all that has everybody confused.

You won't get an argument from me roy but it might not be the situation the new owners want. It's their money so i suppose they have that privilege.

We may never hear the real reason he was let go.

Very true. It's more then enough reason to justify letting him go. It's the timing of it all that has everybody confused.

Actually I firmly believe we will find out because he will tell us. :lol: His outspokeness is also a reason people forget how much he actually didn't help the Leafs achieve success at all.

Actually I firmly believe we will find out because he will tell us. :lol: His outspokeness is also a reason people forget how much he actually didn't help the Leafs achieve success at all.

He's still on the payroll so for now he'll have to zip it. His Cherryness is on hold.

He will spill the beans sooner or later.

Actually I heard the Bruins may be interested in filing tampering charges against the Leafs for firing him. :lol::lol:

:lol: I heard the Leafs were filling charges against the Bruins for a little payola on the sly. :P

The firing of Burke was kinda sudden, but no one can say they're really surprised. he was suppose to get the leafs back on track and all he managed to do was keep Wilson around and miss the playoffs.

Oh yeah, he also traded away the best prospect they've had in decades for a guy named Kessel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That one still makes me laugh. :D

He was the complete opposite of PG. Where PG had the "say nothing" approach, BB had the blab about everything approach.

NO fear leaf fans, he's still on board in an advisory role lol......yea,like B.Gainey was with PG .......he'll be still calling the shots :lol:

this is just another example of the circus called the Toronto Maple Leafs, now they think that by adding Luongo they are a Stanley Cup contender, if Luongo could not win a cup in Vancouver he is not going to win one in Toronto

There is a clash with new ownership for sure. From a production standpoint how many times did they make the playoffs with Burke?

ZERO

I don't know if that's a fair method of assessment given the shambles of a team inherited by Burke. They had one of the poorest prospect pools in the league from what I recall. Burke's strategy was clearly long-term since there was no evident short-term fix for the Leafs.

I don't know if that's a fair method of assessment given the shambles of a team inherited by Burke. They had one of the poorest prospect pools in the league from what I recall. Burke's strategy was clearly long-term since there was no evident short-term fix for the Leafs.

I've always liked Brian Burke for his non-nonsense attitude. And even though I don't always agree with his decisions, I agree with a lot of his philosophy of trying to build a team from the net out with solid goaltending and stud D men and of going after guys who have grit. That said, enacting that philosophy is not always easy, and BB was never able to find a good enough goalie to make that work. He stole Phaneuf from Calgary, but he'll always be remembered for the mindnumbingly awful deal that brought in Kessel. All in all, I agree though that he was left with a mess to sort out and he didn't have a good way of finding a short-term fix without putting the franchise in peril long-term.

Guest habs1952

It will be interesting to see if they go for Lou. My money's on yes, (but I hope they don't get him). :D .

The biggest blunder any team could make is trading for Luongo. 10 1/2 more years with a cap hit of 5.3 mil at which time he'll be 43.

Burke still maintains that Reimer is/was the man to go with......tell me that they were all on the same page going forward here dry.gif