Alex Galchenyuk

GALCHENYUKalex.jpg

POSITION: Center

SHOOTS: Left

HEIGHT: 6' 0"

WEIGHT: 198

BORN: February 12, 1994

BORN IN: Milwaukee, WI, USA

Ok I gotta say ... super excited Bergevin took this kid ... potentially cracks the lineup right away (as opposed to Forsberg who plays another year overseas), he works very hard every shift (unlike Grigs) and also states he is American first (thus not interested in KHL)

Big center, lots of upside ... excited to see him on the ice

pretty funny reading few pages on a leafs forum after we picked Gally. Looks like Leafs fans really wanted him so bad and had their hearts set on him.

ahhh sweet satisfaction.

I remember reading old Habs threads when people were absolutely freaking we passed on Brule to take Price. You never know. Rielly is legit, really high end, that said I'm absolutely ecstatic with Galchenyuk, to me he was THE guy. It's pretty rare the BPA happens to perfectly fill your organizational need but I guess such is the advantage of having the 3rd pick in the draft. I know every GM says it but I truly believe this was the guy that we wanted all along, it just made too much sense.

Pleased and excited to be posting in this thread this morning. My hope now is that you're not rushed and that you're ready for the spotlight and lofty expectations. Work ethic doesn't seem like an issue, so that's a plus!

GREAT PICK! Great write-up at Habs site. Going to start learning French right away. Already known PK for 2 years. Besides his skill set, the intangibles are going to be fantastic. He is going to be a leader, making people comfortable and a good example in the gym. All young Hab prospects will be positively influenced. I think our future looks a lot better because of this guys attitude. Just so ecstatic about Alex.

Where does everyone think he plays next year? Does he go back to Sarnia, do they send him to Hamilton and does he play more or less than 9 games in Montreal? Can't wait to see this kid in a Habs sweater, If he keeps it the same we all know he will fair better than the last player to wear #94

pretty funny reading few pages on a leafs forum after we picked Gally. Looks like Leafs fans really wanted him so bad and had their hearts set on him.

ahhh sweet satisfaction.

Great reading! Icing on the cake! Feel their pain! Enjoying it!

Where does everyone think he plays next year? Does he go back to Sarnia, do they send him to Hamilton and does he play more or less than 9 games in Montreal? Can't wait to see this kid in a Habs sweater, If he keeps it the same we all know he will fair better than the last player to wear #94

It's either the Habs or Sarnia. Being a CHL player, he cant go to the AHL until he's 20.

I think it will all depend on how he does at camp and which spot will be available on the Habs but most likely, he'll play one more year in Sarnia to recover his lost season of development due to injury. There's no emergency to rush a young center this year.

He's not eligible to play in the AHL as far as i know, so it's Sarnia or Montreal. I'll guess another year of Junior after a short taste of the NHL (10 games).

It's either the Habs or Sarnia. Being a CHL player, he cant go to the AHL until he's 20.

I think it will all depend on how he does at camp and which spot will be available on the Habs but most likely, he'll play one more year in Sarnia to recover his lost season of development due to injury. There's no emergency to rush a young center this year.

My bad. Forgot about not being eligible of the AHL. I agree very much with not rushing his development but we've seen many first rounders stay and excel with the big club. Just interested to see where people think he'll play, regardless of the what's best for him, and the club long term.

I hope he becomes what Toews is in chicago, in 2 or 3 years time. A guy that can score the big goal, a guy that plays dirty areas, a guy that can make a nice outlett pass, and a guy who can help out in his own end also.

For me Toes is thw most complete player in the game at center ice when healthy. I hope that Galy can become that next Toews

I hope he becomes what Toews is in chicago, in 2 or 3 years time. A guy that can score the big goal, a guy that plays dirty areas, a guy that can make a nice outlett pass, and a guy who can help out in his own end also.

For me Toes is thw most complete player in the game at center ice when healthy. I hope that Galy can become that next Toews

That is a very nice image. Looking forward to him in our red,white and blue.

My bad. Forgot about not being eligible of the AHL. I agree very much with not rushing his development but we've seen many first rounders stay and excel with the big club. Just interested to see where people think he'll play, regardless of the what's best for him, and the club long term.

It's not as much what's best for him as it is recovering a lost season. If he'd played more this year, then I would have been all for having him with the big club from the start, providing he shows at camp that he's ready.

I think Sarnia is the place for him for one more season, let him shake off injury rust and dominate at the junior level so he can make our roster in 2013-14.

I'm super-excited with Galchenyuk. I admit, I lost faith for a while because of the knee, but his performance at the combine was a big relief and in every other way this has the potential to be a home-run pick for us in the long term.

It's not as much what's best for him as it is recovering a lost season. If he'd played more this year, then I would have been all for having him with the big club from the start, providing he shows at camp that he's ready.

Yeah, the lost season thread is valid, but his desire to train may negate some of that. Another year in the "O" probably would be best though.

Archived