The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#81 Lars Eller 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

This game went a long way to restore his confidence. He is also motivated to do well to avoid getting benched

and to keep MT's faith in him. Lars knows he is back on the 4th line once PAtches comes back but if he plays hard in both ends it could earn him some PP time or stints in the top 6 when things aren't going so well for the usual top 6 forwards.

If he plays with that and sound DEFENSE he not gonna be in the press box.

Oddly, I've seen his confidence disappear in period. I'm not counting my chickens until he develops consistency over a month.

This game went a long way to restore his confidence. He is also motivated to do well to avoid getting benched

and to keep MT's faith in him. Lars knows he is back on the 4th line once PAtches comes back but if he plays hard in both ends it could earn him some PP time or stints in the top 6 when things aren't going so well for the usual top 6 forwards.

He may end up on the 4th line although I wouldn't rule out him playing with the Gallys and Prust taking his rightful place on the 4th line. At least I hope that's what we see tried.

He may end up on the 4th line although I wouldn't rule out him playing with the Gallys and Prust taking his rightful place on the 4th line. At least I hope that's what we see tried.

Tough call. Eller's not really a 4th line player, but on the other hand, I think part of the reason for the Gally's success has been that they've had space to work and part of that has been the opposition D having to deal with Prust driving everything hard to the net.

Tough to see him on the fourth line, but he had another good game. I really believe that he's quite valuable defensively.

You know, with those 2 wingers, Im not sure id call it a true 4th line. It feels more like a 3rd line, it just happens that we have 3 second lines :D

you know i am not a big eller fan. but every once in a while he will pull a move that is just brilliant. that makes me think that he may just be something special. it would be nice if he could just come out of his shell! it is really up to him he is not a rookie anymore he has to just go for it. until he does it is hard to figure out where he fits

Guest habs1952

you know i am not a big eller fan. but every once in a while he will pull a move that is just brilliant. that makes me think that he may just be something special. it would be nice if he could just come out of his shell! it is really up to him he is not a rookie anymore he has to just go for it. until he does it is hard to figure out where he fits

It's hard to figure out where he fits because he's being used to plug holes in the lineup from game to game. In a way I guess that makes him a useful player but at the same time it's hard to ask for any consistency from him because he's always playing with players with different talent. Eller won't make Moen or Armstrong 20 goal scorers but I think he is capable of helping to make talented wingers 20+ goal scorers if given a good chance.

If we do trade him, what do you guys think we could get for him at the deadline? Of course it will depend a bit on his play between now and then.

I don't want to see Lars go. I think he will be a good 3rd line guy and be really valuable where ever he ends up. But it seems more and more like MT sees him as the odd man out. If it happens I'd be sad to see him go.

If we do trade him, what do you guys think we could get for him at the deadline? Of course it will depend a bit on his play between now and then.

If you believe the rumours (and the CBC guys mentioned it during the game today) when MB took over in the summer he apparently got a ton of calls enquiring about Lars Eller - more so than any other player.

The real question, I suppose, is how our brain trust feel he projects. If they feel he has long-term potential on this team in a top 9 (or preferably top 6) capacity, then you keep him. But if they think its still very much up for debate, then I guess you at least consider the options.

I don't want to see Lars go. I think he will be a good 3rd line guy and be really valuable where ever he ends up. But it seems more and more like MT sees him as the odd man out. If it happens I'd be sad to see him go.

I also don't want to see him go. That said, I do not think he's been the whipping boy he's made out to be. Look at the facts: yes, he sat 2 games. But he got right back in the lineup and when Patches went down, he was the first (and only) guy put on his line to replace him. Now, you could argue that MT didn't want to break up the Pleks or Gally lines - but Lars was given a chance & he performed well by the end. His confidence is slowly coming back.

MT had Lars out in the last 30 seconds of today's game when the team was up by 1 goal. That shows confidence, which is a very good sign for Lars' future here.

If you believe the rumours (and the CBC guys mentioned it during the game today) when MB took over in the summer he apparently got a ton of calls enquiring about Lars Eller - more so than any other player.

The real question, I suppose, is how our brain trust feel he projects. If they feel he has long-term potential on this team in a top 9 (or preferably top 6) capacity, then you keep him. But if they think its still very much up for debate, then I guess you at least consider the options.

I also don't want to see him go. That said, I do not think he's been the whipping boy he's made out to be. Look at the facts: yes, he sat 2 games. But he got right back in the lineup and when Patches went down, he was the first (and only) guy put on his line to replace him. Now, you could argue that MT didn't want to break up the Pleks or Gally lines - but Lars was given a chance & he performed well by the end. His confidence is slowly coming back.

MT had Lars out in the last 30 seconds of today's game when the team was up by 1 goal. That shows confidence, which is a very good sign for Lars' future here.

You make a good point. I didnt see the end of the game because I had to work, but that is a good sign. I remember hearing that Lars wasnt MT's type of player from someone here a while ago. But hat doesnt mean that its true, or that Lars cant win him over. I feel like, if MB does trade him, it will be because he doesnt fit in anywhere in the top9 SHORT TERM. Long term, he fits in well in that third line spot, and if we do trade him we will have a big hole to fill there. I reaslly hope to see Lars stay with the team long term.

I feel like we'd be disappointed if we traded him. I still believe in his talent.

I think we'd be disappointed too because there is a large amount of untapped potential there. This is not a Guillaume Latendresse case, a guy with a bad attitude and who had failed after having shots in the top 6. The truth is that Eller really hasn't had a square shot at a top 6 center job, so it's hard to say he's failed to meet expectations when he hasn't been given a true opportunity. Given our logjam at center, we're fast approaching the point (I'd say this coming off-season) where we need to decide who we're keeping (DD or Eller) and who we're getting rid of, and a lot of that will depend on trade return more than performance this season. If the demand for Eller is up, maybe we can get a top 6 winger for him, and that could still work out for us. On the other hand, there is the definite potential for a John Leclair-like break-out in another city.

Given our logjam at center,

First of all, 2 years ago, who would have bet a LOT of money we would never be saying those five words right now!! haha. Nice problem to have.

we're fast approaching the point (I'd say this coming off-season) where we need to decide who we're keeping (DD or Eller) and who we're getting rid of,

Couldn't agree more. I thought we maybe had one more year - and its still early, but if we can believe what we've seen so far, Gally's progression has come along a lot faster than most of us would have expected.

a lot of that will depend on trade return more than performance this season. If the demand for Eller is up, maybe we can get a top 6 winger for him, and that could still work out for us. On the other hand, there is the definite potential for a John Leclair-like break-out in another city.

Yep. Potential return vs. value is one thing - the other thing is money. If DD spends another year as our "#1 centre" (or close to it) look for him to want a big raise. Yes, he's RFA but his agent will have plenty of ammunition to want 4 or 5 times what he's been making so far. Lars will be most likely looking for another deal similar to what he's been making.

Either player could come back to haunt us though. It a perfect world Id love to see Eller centre line 3 and DD convert to wing, but I just don't think we have space for everyone. MB is most likely going to have to start looking at moving someone this summer.

I think we'd be disappointed too because there is a large amount of untapped potential there. This is not a Guillaume Latendresse case, a guy with a bad attitude and who had failed after having shots in the top 6. The truth is that Eller really hasn't had a square shot at a top 6 center job, so it's hard to say he's failed to meet expectations when he hasn't been given a true opportunity. Given our logjam at center, we're fast approaching the point (I'd say this coming off-season) where we need to decide who we're keeping (DD or Eller) and who we're getting rid of, and a lot of that will depend on trade return more than performance this season. If the demand for Eller is up, maybe we can get a top 6 winger for him, and that could still work out for us. On the other hand, there is the definite potential for a John Leclair-like break-out in another city.

Lars is caught up in a numbers game, especially with Chuckie being able to make the team straight out of the draft.

He has shown steady improvement since arriving and if he was given a shot in the top 6 I think he would succeed.

Like DD he also has good hands but is bigger and pretty good in faceoffs. In the last few games he has shown a good work ethic

and tenacity.

I fear he will be traded. DD, a French Canadian player who had great chemistry with his wingers last year versus

a non French player who is still trying to prove his worth. The writing may be on the wall and we will lose a great prospect

or force him to play an unnatural position of wing and probably not in top 6. Either way his potential will not be realized in a

Habs jersey and that will be a huge waste.

On the bright side, when was the last time we had a problem with to much depth in any position?

I don't see him as being anything but a good third-line player. He's got good positional awareness, he can skate, he's got size, and isn't bad as a goalscorer, but the attributes you need the most in a top-six center -- vision and puck distribution -- are lacking IMO. I see his ceiling as a very good third-line center who can jump up to spot winger duty on the second line if injuries strike. Nothing more. He's a nice piece to keep if possible, but if the opportunity comes to package him in a deal for something we need, I think we make that deal and don't look back.

I don't see him as being anything but a good third-line player. He's got good positional awareness, he can skate, he's got size, and isn't bad as a goalscorer, but the attributes you need the most in a top-six center -- vision and puck distribution -- are lacking IMO. I see his ceiling as a very good third-line center who can jump up to spot winger duty on the second line if injuries strike. Nothing more. He's a nice piece to keep if possible, but if the opportunity comes to package him in a deal for something we need, I think we make that deal and don't look back.

Agreed. It's up to Lars to prove us wrong.

I also don't see him remaining with Montreal long-term if he is relegated to third line duties for most of the next two seasons. Which is fine. Third liners come and third liners go. You'd like to keep the ones you can get the most out of, but there comes a point where the either want too much money or want a better role with another team.

Well a good third line centre is something I would still like to keep - Im not sure we've had a "good" young 3rd line centre in some time. We've had decent band-aid solutions but not a guy who you know game & game out will deliver as your 3rd line pivot & I still believe Lars can be that. I dont necessarily disagree with your assessment - its funny how he's probably better suited to wing (good board work & decent shot) but looks more comfortable (albeit not as offensively effective) at centre. If he can continue to improve his defensive game I see no reason why he cant be a 35-40 point shut down centre & that is a-o-k in my books.

The thing is, if Gally & Plekanec take lines 1 & 2 and Eller is good enough to be our consistent #3 then that probably spells the end for DD unless he can convert to wing somewhere...and then... where?

Well a good third line centre is something I would still like to keep - Im not sure we've had a "good" young 3rd line centre in some time. We've had decent band-aid solutions but not a guy who you know game & game out will deliver as your 3rd line pivot & I still believe Lars can be that. I dont necessarily disagree with your assessment - its funny how he's probably better suited to wing (good board work & decent shot) but looks more comfortable (albeit not as offensively effective) at centre. If he can continue to improve his defensive game I see no reason why he cant be a 35-40 point shut down centre & that is a-o-k in my books.

Oh absolutely, if he can become that 35-40 point shutdown centre, I'll be very pleased, but it may not make cap sense to keep him at that point (complete hypothetical on my part, obvs), and Lars himself may want a sustained chance at top-six duty on another team.

As for the center/winger thing, I'm inclined to throw out all evidence except this current season. Let's give him a sustained shot at winger. I still believe wing is where he'll thrive. Down the middle, as I said, he just doesn't distribute with the consistency you want/expect of a top-six center.

The thing is, if Gally & Plekanec take lines 1 & 2 and Eller is good enough to be our consistent #3 then that probably spells the end for DD unless he can convert to wing somewhere...and then... where?

DD would get killed on the wing. It's center or bust for him IMO, but if Gally continues to develop at his current pace, we may be able to let go of DD sooner than we thought, for exactly the lineup reasons you mentioned.

Oh absolutely, if he can become that 35-40 point shutdown centre, I'll be very pleased, but it may not make cap sense to keep him at that point (complete hypothetical on my part, obvs), and Lars himself may want a sustained chance at top-six duty on another team.

Indeed, at a certain point Lars may want a shot somewhere else if he's not getting it here.

As for the center/winger thing, I'm inclined to throw out all evidence except this current season. Let's give him a sustained shot at winger. I still believe wing is where he'll thrive. Down the middle, as I said, he just doesn't distribute with the consistency you want/expect of a top-six center.

Id love to see him on Gally's wing & suggested it for a while. Is Prust really necessary there? I know some here believe he is, but Gally A is a big Boy, Eller is a big Boy and Gally B plays bigger than either of them - i think they'd make a fine line. That said, I dont have a problem with Lars between Moen & Armstrong this year either - as long as they get the ice time. Armstrong will never be the 1st liner people thought he was going to be but playing between him and Moen is a lot different than Darche/White.

DD would get killed on the wing. It's center or bust for him IMO, but if Gally continues to develop at his current pace, we may be able to let go of DD sooner than we thought, for exactly the lineup reasons you mentioned.

Well yes, but I didnt want to be the one who said it about him on the wing :) haha.

The bad thing is that will probably mean we let him walk this summer. If we are in a position to do well this year, we wont move him at deadline & while he is RFA this summer if you resign him for what his numbers have dictated, you may have a hard time moving him.

Indeed, at a certain point Lars may want a shot somewhere else if he's not getting it here.

Id love to see him on Gally's wing & suggested it for a while. Is Prust really necessary there? I know some here believe he is, but Gally A is a big Boy, Eller is a big Boy and Gally B plays bigger than either of them - i think they'd make a fine line. That said, I dont have a problem with Lars between Moen & Armstrong this year either - as long as they get the ice time. Armstrong will never be the 1st liner people thought he was going to be but playing between him and Moen is a lot different than Darche/White.

Well yes, but I didnt want to be the one who said it about him on the wing :) haha.

The bad thing is that will probably mean we let him walk this summer. If we are in a position to do well this year, we wont move him at deadline & while he is RFA this summer if you resign him for what his numbers have dictated, you may have a hard time moving him.

There are apparently many teams interested in Lars. In the system guys like Dumont, Pulushaj, Geoffrien, White, Noky, Blunden, Hudon, Bozon all able to play 4th line plugger type roles of equal ability for that role. Or better. And guys like Moen, Prust, Chuky, are all capable of playing top two line minutes for a spell. It all adds up to trade Lars in a package deal with Kaberle or by himself. Many teams would nibble at that idea and someone will bite.

Trade him. Cuz when he's on the market he's gone.

There's no reason we can't trade an unsigned RFA if we determine he's not in the the team's plans. The market value is usually almost as good as long as there aren't any indications of a hold out or some other drama.

At this point I'd say Eller's ceiling is a great 3rd line center or decent 2-way second line winger. Both could be useful, neither is worth breaking the bank over. If he can get his face off numbers up he could be a pretty handy utility guy. So could DD but I don't expect him to settle for that role when he could probably center an offensive second line somewhere.

what would be great would be to bundle him with someone like webber to get as good a draft pick as we can. we have some guy's that can pick up the slack if we have injury problems. i know we are all loving what our rookies are bringing to the team this year and i am pretty sure we are not going to get a top three pick on our own, not this year! we have the right coach for bringing up kids right now and our gm seems to have no problem with it at all! so i say lets load up on as many good draft picks as we can it really is the only way to build into a top team for the long term.

Only caught the first half of the game, but it sounded like Eller had a great first period. If he keeps up his strong play the points will come, and so will added responsibility from Therrien. He must like the way Lars has been playing as he's been consistently in the line up over White as of late.

Archived