The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#81 Lars Eller 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I'm not ready to put him on the trading block yet. I Still see him as a possible long term complement to the Gallys on the wing or a top 9 player long term. That's nothing to be ashamed of nor blow off.

We had to overpay guys like Moen and Prust because we've struggles to build a 3rd line for a while. IMO, Eller seems like a guy that we could slot in long term and be our version of Kris Draper.

A 3rd line player that brings it, plays some PP and PK and doesn't look out of place in the top 6 either. Every team needs a player or 2 like that and I think he can be that for us for a decade.

Though i'm still a little disappointed with Eller's management, it's very good to see that he's getting a lot of PK time and even some PP time. Therrien at least has recognized how good Eller is at killing penalties.

Yes! This is something that never happened last year & I thought was a shame. He may never be a pure offensive player, but i still believe he deserves a chance to show what sort of player he can be, rather than just making him play a defensive game all the time. I really like him on the wing with the Gallys on the PP. Hopefully we see that happen for a little while, not just a game or 2.

Its clear Therrien is warming up to him (maybe he's worked on some things MT asked him to) and if keeps playing how he has, he'll be rewarded. The big problem (obviously) is DD. If we switch Eller & DD (like some have suggested) you end up with DD on the 4th line & Im not sure he's suited to it. I suppose Moen & Armstrong would keep him "safe" but Im still not sure i love the idea.

Eller with the 2 gallys (like Ive been suggesting for a while) would also be an option, although I still think Eller looks more comfortable at centre (although I see Weep's point that his vision may make him more effective in the long run as a winger).

I'd like to see him take Prust's spot on the wing with the kids.

It's so tough to pull Prust off that line when he's doing well, but at the end of the day, I agree. We need to make a decision on Eller's future with the team and we need to make that this year. MT and MB need to know if Eller can put up points and/or be a solid two-way forward playing with guys of better talent than Moen and Blunden and Armstrong. Maybe he takes Prust's spot, maybe he takes DD's spot, but something's gotta give. Eller's played well the past few games and doesn't deserve to be dwindling on the 4th line.

It's so tough to pull Prust off that line when he's doing well, but at the end of the day, I agree. We need to make a decision on Eller's future with the team and we need to make that this year. MT and MB need to know if Eller can put up points and/or be a solid two-way forward playing with guys of better talent than Moen and Blunden and Armstrong. Maybe he takes Prust's spot, maybe he takes DD's spot, but something's gotta give. Eller's played well the past few games and doesn't deserve to be dwindling on the 4th line.

I totally agree with them having to make a decision on this kid, and in my point it should come down to the position they want him to play. Galchenyuk will be our #1 centre and Pleks should be here for a couple more years, I think he should be the 3rd. I don't like flip flopping him wing to centre, he's a centreman you can see that in his game. From my personal experience a true centre on the wing is a like a caged lion, you want to be involved everywhere. Changing the mindset takes time and experience so I just hope they keep that in mind and if they seem him as a winger put him there and keep him there.

One of the few bright spots in the past handful of games, despite limited opportunity. He's been solid on the fore-check and he's shown excellent boardwork. With Cole and DD both struggling, this is the time to get him into the top 6 and give him a chance.

So... then Cole and/or Desharnais go to the bottom six... right. Who are he real top six at this time?

Bourque-Plekanec-???

Pacioretty-???-???

???-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Conundrum...

One of the few bright spots in the past handful of games, despite limited opportunity. He's been solid on the fore-check and he's shown excellent boardwork. With Cole and DD both struggling, this is the time to get him into the top 6 and give him a chance.

I would definitely agree. I really like his work ethic and he seems to really create chances. I think he deserves a chance to centre Pac and Cole. Perhaps he could provide a spark on that line. Certainly couldn't be any worse.

Getting real tired of him on the 4th line. Ridiculous.

You and me both... when will he be given that chance? In fact I would say the two Gally's were more effective with him on the wing/center than with Pacioretty last game. Small samples both ways... but nevertheless that's the way I saw it.

I agree that Eller needs a chance, but I still have problems with his vision. He gets tunnel vision when he has the puck and doesn't seem to know when to distribute the puck once defenders have committed to covering him. Even the assist he picked up on Subban's goal last night came on a broken play seconds after he ruined a perfectly good odd-man rush by overskating the puck into his winger's path instead of cutting to the net and dishing outside.

I really see him more as a winger at this point.

I agree that Eller needs a chance, but I still have problems with his vision. He gets tunnel vision when he has the puck and doesn't seem to know when to distribute the puck once defenders have committed to covering him. Even the assist he picked up on Subban's goal last night came on a broken play seconds after he ruined a perfectly good odd-man rush by overskating the puck into his winger's path instead of cutting to the net and dishing outside.

I really see him more as a winger at this point.

He's either a winger or 3rd line center IMO because I agree. He can and probably will have extreme value in either role but I just can't see him as enough of a play maker to play consistently with guys like Pacioretty or Cole. With that said, with the way DD looks I would at least give it a TRY and see how it works out. Maybe playing with skill player makes him look pass first a little more although I question his actual playmaking ability as much as his apparent refusal to use it.

He's either a winger or 3rd line center IMO because I agree. He can and probably will have extreme value in either role but I just can't see him as enough of a play maker to play consistently with guys like Pacioretty or Cole. With that said, with the way DD looks I would at least give it a TRY and see how it works out. Maybe playing with skill player makes him look pass first a little more although I question his actual playmaking ability as much as his apparent refusal to use it.

Exactly, winger or third-line center. But with DD not producing, this is probably the best chance he'll get to show what he can do as a top-six center. I hope he proves me wrong, but I have those same questions about his playmaking ability and they getting more urgent as time goes by and his offensive game fails to develop.

I understand what both weep and roy are saying about the "tunnel vision" its just weird because when ive seen him play elsewhere, he's looked more like a playmaker. It almost seems like he cant find chemistry & doesnt know where to look for his linemates. Id really like to see what he can do with Patches (who is more of a predictable player than Cole, for example). Obviously it would be nice to see an Eller-Cole-Patches line, but I cant see MT doing that for more than a period or two, unless they show immediate impact.

The thing the team should be looking at now is what is best long term. If Gally is the heir apparent for the #1 slot and Pleks can ease into #2 duties then will Eller be better as our #3 centre long-term or do we try to groom him for top 6 winger. He has a great shot/release and offense was always his bread and butter earlier in his career, so its still not out of the question that he can be a top 6 winger.

Either way, I like how he's played the last few games and its good to see MT giving him more and more ice time/assigments. One thing that MT is doing well is allowing people in his doghouse to get out of it. Jacques was not great at that - you'd get in his bad books but then not be put in a position to work your way out & in the end it cost us some players.

Good game from Eller last night. I'd like to see him with the Gallys, reunite Two And A Half Men-line and slot Prust as center between Moen and Armstrong.

I wouldn't mine seeing that... in fact I think Lars had one of his best efforts overall with the kids. Playing the 4th line he has been fine, but IOM he could add more to the team playing a greater role with the two Gallys.

Archived