The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#81 Lars Eller 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

He had shoulder surgery last season i believe, didn't know it was still bother him.

Good to know he's feels better and is able to put 100% into his training.

I'm really excited about the new season. I know we basically have the same team, but even so i feel we're going to do better. I feel the fans and players are buying into MB vision. With how PG ran the team, I don't think the players really felt like playing for him.

He had shoulder surgery last season i believe, didn't know it was still bother him.

I'm really excited about the new season. I know we basically have the same team, but even so i feel we're going to do better. I feel the fans and players are buying into MB vision. With how PG ran the team, I don't think the players really felt like playing for him.

I also feel better (maybe "relieved") a new season is approaching. Especially so for Lars. I feel like he has more to show us if given a consistent role with the team instead of being bounced around based on need. Last year was a wreck. Hopefully this year shows signs of progress for Lars and everyone else on the team.

I don't think it was still bothering him post surgery, I think he's saying this is the first offseason where his shoulder feels 100% (the surgery itself was last offseason so he basically missed all that training).

What I didn't realize is that it was something nagging him for the last 3 years; I assumed it was just related to the injury sustained in the 10-11 playoffs.

I think it will be a big surprised to the hockey world how much better this team is. I know im a perennial optimist, but I have a feeling we will be a top 6 team in the east this year, which is a huge jump from dead last. Injuries will be the key but assuming we dont have quite as much bad luck as last year, this team should do well - a lot better than last season at least.

The biggest question mark right now for me is whether or not we can play for Therrien or not. I think yes, but time will tell.

Lars will be one of the big keys to a successful season too. I cant wait to see what he brings to the table next year.

I think it will be a big surprised to the hockey world how much better this team is. I know im a perennial optimist, but I have a feeling we will be a top 6 team in the east this year, which is a huge jump from dead last. Injuries will be the key but assuming we dont have quite as much bad luck as last year, this team should do well - a lot better than last season at least.

The biggest question mark right now for me is whether or not we can play for Therrien or not. I think yes, but time will tell.

Lars will be one of the big keys to a successful season too. I cant wait to see what he brings to the table next year.

I totally agree. Whatever could go wrong did go wrong last season. No place to go but up after that disaster. I have confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentleman meet Pacioretty 2.0.

Put him on the wing with Pleks and Gionta. Results will follow.

The thing is, he'll never have quite the nose for the net Patches does & you could argue that putting him on the 2nd line wing is actually getting less out of him.

Put it another way: would you rather have Martin Rucinsky (a good, solid 50pt 2nd line winger) or Guy Carboneau (an elite two way 3rd line centre). Im not saying that Eller is necessarily either, but he could be molded one way or the other & at this point, im not sure which is better for our club.

The thing is, he'll never have quite the nose for the net Patches does & you could argue that putting him on the 2nd line wing is actually getting less out of him.

Put it another way: would you rather have Martin Rucinsky (a good, solid 50pt 2nd line winger) or Guy Carboneau (an elite two way 3rd line centre). Im not saying that Eller is necessarily either, but he could be molded one way or the other & at this point, im not sure which is better for our club.

I really like your analogy. TBH, on our team Martin Rucinsky is needed more than Carbo. The reason: Plekanec is getting all the tough defensive assignments whether or not Lars is our 3rd line center or not. What we need is a competent 2 way second line winger more than a competent 3rd line center. That's the way I see it, Lars has the potential for a more vital role on the wing instead of center because the team isn't taking one of the 5 best 2 way centers away from his role.

Many fundamentally disagree with me but if you look at it closely our 3 centers moving forward are likely to be Galchenyuk, Desharnais and Plekanec as of 2014.

In the scenario it's in the best long term interest to figure out Lars top end offensive/2 way potential this year on the wing. If he looks terrible after 10 games put him back at Center but I feel our team would benefit more from his talent if he flanks Plekanec and Gionta matched up vs the opposing teams best players than we would having him flanked by Gomez, Moen, Prust or Armstrong etc on the 3rd line. Furthermore, I think it's best for his development to play against better players as an integral part of our top 6 than it is to try to carry a substandard 3rd line.

I really like your analogy. TBH, on our team Martin Rucinsky is needed more than Carbo. The reason: Plekanec is getting all the tough defensive assignments whether or not Lars is our 3rd line center or not. What we need is a competent 2 way second line winger more than a competent 3rd line center. That's the way I see it, Lars has the potential for a more vital role on the wing instead of center because the team isn't taking one of the 5 best 2 way centers away from his role.

Many fundamentally disagree with me but if you look at it closely our 3 centers moving forward are likely to be Galchenyuk, Desharnais and Plekanec as of 2014.

In the scenario it's in the best long term interest to figure out Lars top end offensive/2 way potential this year on the wing. If he looks terrible after 10 games put him back at Center but I feel our team would benefit more from his talent if he flanks Plekanec and Gionta matched up vs the opposing teams best players than we would having him flanked by Gomez, Moen, Prust or Armstrong etc on the 3rd line. Furthermore, I think it's best for his development to play against better players as an integral part of our top 6 than it is to try to carry a substandard 3rd line.

I think I'm with you in trying Lars on the wing. It's such an obvious hole in our lineup and he theoretically fits so well with Pleks and Gionta. Also if we play him on the wing for a while this season, it's not like it permanently shuts the door on his future as a center. Lots of young players spend time between wing and center in order to get them offensive minutes.

You could even argue playing along side our best top 6 two-way center would be almost as good for his development as a centering a 3rd line.

I think I'm with you in trying Lars on the wing. It's such an obvious hole in our lineup and he theoretically fits so well with Pleks and Gionta. Also if we play him on the wing for a while this season, it's not like it permanently shuts the door on his future as a center. Lots of young players spend time between wing and center in order to get them offensive minutes.

You could even argue playing along side our best top 6 two-way center would be almost as good for his development as a centering a 3rd line.

Exactly. Your second paragraph summarizes perfectly what I was eluding too. Lars himself would benefit from time alongside world class players and in turn I think he has the most potential to benefit the team by filling a void.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived