The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Erik Cole

Eric has become too predictable with his patented move down the right wing (where have we heard the predictable denotation before... Gomez?). He is not hard to defend against. The problem is, IMO, he is not really that skilled a player handling the puck otherwise. With Pacioretty still not at the top of his game and Desharnais being manhandled consistently Eric becomes less of a threat.

He needs to find a way to change his game. Maybe a switch to the left side on another line could be a start (Cole-Galchenyuk-Gallagher?).

Eric has become too predictable with his patented move down the right wing (where have we heard the predictable denotation before... Gomez?). He is not hard to defend against. The problem is, IMO, he is not really that skilled a player handling the puck otherwise. With Pacioretty still not at the top of his game and Desharnais being manhandled consistently Eric becomes less of a threat.

He needs to find a way to change his game. Maybe a switch to the left side on another line could be a start (Cole-Galchenyuk-Gallagher?).

His start last year was no better, same with the year before. I'm not thrilled with it but at this point I think the only real course of action with Erik is patience. We'll see in 5-10 games.

His start last year was no better, same with the year before. I'm not thrilled with it but at this point I think the only real course of action with Erik is patience. We'll see in 5-10 games.

Slow start... where have we heard that before... Gomez? Why stand pat... nothing wrong with a change to see if that could help him out.

Slow start... where have we heard that before... Gomez? Why stand pat... nothing wrong with a change to see if that could help him out.

Well a change for the sake of change is irrelevant. We have some evidence he starts like this and some evidence that him with DD and Pacio can be a formidable line. I didn't mean to imply a change would be STUPID but I'm not quite yet at the point where I'm ready to change it. I don't think Cole's issue is which wing he's on (he's said he prefers it) or his linemates, he's just not playing that well, although he hasn't been disastrous either, better start than he had last year it feels like.

I don't think there's a natural fit given his wing in terms of moving him anyway, we're not playing great on the right side. There's a more natural fit with Pacioretty moving. Moving him to the left side is dramatic, think he's said he doesn't like it but there's no natural fit on the right side for Desharnais then and I don't see Eller as a solution playing the right side on that line.

Well a change for the sake of change is irrelevant. We have some evidence he starts like this and some evidence that him with DD and Pacio can be a formidable line. I didn't mean to imply a change would be STUPID but I'm not quite yet at the point where I'm ready to change it. I don't think Cole's issue is which wing he's on (he's said he prefers it) or his linemates, he's just not playing that well, although he hasn't been disastrous either, better start than he had last year it feels like.

I don't think there's a natural fit given his wing in terms of moving him anyway, we're not playing great on the right side. There's a more natural fit with Pacioretty moving. Moving him to the left side is dramatic, think he's said he doesn't like it but there's no natural fit on the right side for Desharnais then and I don't see Eller as a solution playing the right side on that line.

Agreed. We basically have three RW on this team who can/will play in the top 9: Cole, Gallagher, and Gionta. Cole and Gionta are not going to be demoted to the 4th line, so unless Gallagher hits a big slump, those are the guys we're looking at. Because of DD's size at center, it's not a great idea to play either Gionta or Gallagher with him because it allows the other team to gain a mismatch against us, especially if we're on the road and we don't get last change. As a result, Cole is by default the RW on DD's line... unless DD is dropped from the top 9 altogether, which I think is unlikely to happen, given the success his line had last year. I think we can still tinker with who plays the LW on that line, but to me, DD and Cole are a duo and they need to step up their game in order for us to sustain the early-season success we've had. At some point, the Plekanec line will hit a slump and we'll need another line to carry the scoring load.

Not that player this year... even with the slow start last year he was working harder and smarter IMO.

I remember a lot of people complaining. Last year through 11 games he had 2g 1a. We knew when we signed him that there was a chance we were swallowing a couple years where the contract looked bad. I suppose that clock may have started already but it's so early and he's had bad starts the last couple seasons that I'm not ready to go there yet.

Either way, if we can get even a reasonable package for him I'm probably trying to move him (he also has a NTC complicating it). Good player but beyond this year he's at 2 years, 4.5 per and we're talking about his 35 and 36 year old seasons. The meat of this deal for us was the first 2 years and the last 1-2 were just the price of doing business in all likelihood.

I remember a lot of people complaining. Last year through 11 games he had 2g 1a. We knew when we signed him that there was a chance we were swallowing a couple years where the contract looked bad. I suppose that clock may have started already but it's so early and he's had bad starts the last couple seasons that I'm not ready to go there yet.

Either way, if we can get even a reasonable package for him I'm probably trying to move him (he also has a NTC complicating it). Good player but beyond this year he's at 2 years, 4.5 per and we're talking about his 35 and 36 year old seasons. The meat of this deal for us was the first 2 years and the last 1-2 were just the price of doing business in all likelihood.

Well, through 11 games this season he has 2 goals and 2 assists, so... LOOKING GOOD! :lol::D

I'm honestly not too concerned about moving him or whatever. I'm sure he'll start looking like the Erik of last season soon. Players start our slow, players are streaky, players get cold. Erik's no different. I won't really worry until we've seen him for 20 - 25 games. If he continues to under-perform at that point, then I would be concerned.

Well, through 11 games this season he has 2 goals and 2 assists, so... LOOKING GOOD! :lol::D

I'm honestly not too concerned about moving him or whatever. I'm sure he'll start looking like the Erik of last season soon. Players start our slow, players are streaky, players get cold. Erik's no different. I won't really worry until we've seen him for 20 - 25 games. If he continues to under-perform at that point, then I would be concerned.

I agree, if he's at 3g-3a-6p 20+ games into the season I'll be a bit concerned.

As per HIO:

After the loss to the Leafs, Cole sent a text message to his teammates on a group chat that he set up during the National Hockey League lockout. He wrote that all teams will face a difficult time. The Canadiens are in the midst of one right now and it’s up to them to get themselves out of it.

Cole said he also told his teammates that he plans on being a lot better and will be helping to be part of the solution.