The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#30 Peter Budaj 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I don't see this situation as being akin to the Vancouver one, which is mainly being driven by the terrible contract that Luongo possesses. In Vancouver, you could make an argument for either guy being the starter. And if it weren't for Luongo's contract, the Canucks have likely traded Schenider a couple of years ago. In Montreal, there is no question Carey is the starter. You can use Budaj as a stop-gap, but he's not leading the team to a Cup, nor is he a goalie of the future here, meaning that Price still hasn't hit his prime, whereas Budaj is in theory coming towards the downside of his career in the coming years. Budaj is a quality back-up with previous starting experience. I was happy when we signed him, and he's a huge step up over Auld. But even Auld had decent numbers when he was here, and a decent record in a small number of games does not mean the bck-up is ready to challenge for the starting job. To me, this is not a goaltending-by-committee situation and there is no controversy. We should be thankful Budaj has played so well in his starts, but Price has been, will be, and should be the starting goalie here.

I don't think anyone is saying he's the new number 1 or a savior, but if he can come in for a stretch, let Carey regroup and refocus, get the boys back on track and maybe get a few wins then we should try it. I think people are wanting us to go with another option and not just going with Carey no matter what. If we are lucky enough to have that option, why not use it?

I don't see this situation as being akin to the Vancouver one, which is mainly being driven by the terrible contract that Luongo possesses. In Vancouver, you could make an argument for either guy being the starter. And if it weren't for Luongo's contract, the Canucks have likely traded Schenider a couple of years ago. In Montreal, there is no question Carey is the starter. You can use Budaj as a stop-gap, but he's not leading the team to a Cup, nor is he a goalie of the future here, meaning that Price still hasn't hit his prime, whereas Budaj is in theory coming towards the downside of his career in the coming years. Budaj is a quality back-up with previous starting experience. I was happy when we signed him, and he's a huge step up over Auld. But even Auld had decent numbers when he was here, and a decent record in a small number of games does not mean the bck-up is ready to challenge for the starting job. To me, this is not a goaltending-by-committee situation and there is no controversy. We should be thankful Budaj has played so well in his starts, but Price has been, will be, and should be the starting goalie here.

I agree.

Just for the record though, i wasn't saying that Budaj would challenge Price for the number one job. I was only saying that Price needs somebody to push him to be better. If Budaj get more starts than Price in a short period of time, it doesn't mean that Budaj is the new starter. It only means that Budaj has played better and deserves more starts until a rested Price gets it together.

I agree.

Just for the record though, i wasn't saying that Budaj would challenge Price for the number one job. I was only saying that Price needs somebody to push him to be better. If Budaj get more starts than Price in a short period of time, it doesn't mean that Budaj is the new starter. It only means that Budaj has played better and deserves more starts until a rested Price gets it together.

And that's a fair argument. In a short season and this close to the playoffs though, it's hard to give Carey too much time off. I agree with Therrien's decision to start Budaj next game, but I think you need to come back with Carey for the next two, at least. Just about everyone has conceded that we'll be finishing 4th and playing the Leafs (and that may well be the most likely scenario), but this team is still technically in 2nd and battling for the division, so it's not time to experiment. I believe you use your best players and win or lose with them, and that's Carey, Subban, Pacioretty, and Plekanec.

And that's a fair argument. In a short season and this close to the playoffs though, it's hard to give Carey too much time off. I agree with Therrien's decision to start Budaj next game, but I think you need to come back with Carey for the next two, at least. Just about everyone has conceded that we'll be finishing 4th and playing the Leafs (and that may well be the most likely scenario), but this team is still technically in 2nd and battling for the division, so it's not time to experiment. I believe you use your best players and win or lose with them, and that's Carey, Subban, Pacioretty, and Plekanec.

True, good points. I suppose Therrien will have to balance playing his best players, and given his players the space and rest to succeed at their top gear. Hopefully he finds that balance sooner rather than later though.

Carey plays better when he has the back up, not the guy who can, wants, and will oust him for lengthy periods of time.

True. He played his better hockey while being backed up by Auld and Budaj (Last year). That's why I was a bit concerned with the acquisition of Dustin Tokarski. His numbers have been awesome for Hamilton and he has the potential to be an NHL goalie. Maybe he just turns out to be a back up, but I'm just unsure how Price would react to the pressure of having a young up and comer as a back up. However, the extension of Budaj this year may put that on hold for a while, or avoid it altogether.

I don't think anyone is saying he's the new number 1 or a savior, but if he can come in for a stretch, let Carey regroup and refocus, get the boys back on track and maybe get a few wins then we should try it. I think people are wanting us to go with another option and not just going with Carey no matter what. If we are lucky enough to have that option, why not use it?

I agree.

These are both good posts, and I find myself agreeing with you as I'm reading them. The only reason I'd be hesitant to keep Price out too long, though, is that we're close to the playoffs and we need Carey to be at his best when the post-season comes around.

That, to me, should be the single focus right now when it comes to goalie decisions: whatever you do as the coach, do it so that Carey is ready for game #1 of the playoffs. I'm not as concerned with the rest of the games this season, to be honest. Sure I'd obviously rather play one of the teams that squeaks in instead of Toronto, but 1) I don't think it's going to make THAT much difference who we play and 2) I think Budaj is a competent goalie and I think that we can still win our remaining games this year with him in net.

With that goal in mind, though, I honestly still don't know what approach will work best if Budaj comes out great against the Pens. Do you bring Carey back, giving him more time to work through this? Or do you start Budaj again, maybe giving Price a little extra incentive like you guys are saying? I'm just glad I'm not the coach who has to make the decision :P

I don't get why MT "should" do this or "should" do that just so that Price gets to be the number one guy. I really don't care which goalie is in nets, as long as the best goaltender is playing. You can throw around all the pedigree arguments you want but pedigree does not always win out. If Price stinks it up in the first game of the playoffs like he did in the last two losses, then I want Budaj in there for the next game. I don't care about giving Price a bounce-back chance just because he "might" be better the next game. However, if the loss isn't due to him not making the routine stops then I might be inclined to give him another try. This is the playoffs. You win or you go home!

I don't get why MT "should" do this or "should" do that just so that Price gets to be the number one guy. I really don't care which goalie is in nets, as long as the best goaltender is playing. You can throw around all the pedigree arguments you want but pedigree does not always win out. If Price stinks it up in the first game of the playoffs like he did in the last two losses, then I want Budaj in there for the next game. I don't care about giving Price a bounce-back chance just because he "might" be better the next game. However, if the loss isn't due to him not making the routine stops then I might be inclined to give him another try. This is the playoffs. You win or you go home!

I agree that "pedigree" shouldn't matter in some senses of the word. I don't care, for example, about the fact that Carey is a first round pick or that he won the World Juniors or his performance with the Bulldogs. But pedigree does matter in the sense that the other option in goal is Peter Budaj who is a known NHL commodity. Budaj's had plenty of chances to prove himself as a number 1 NHL goalie and it's just not worked out for him. In all likelyhood it's not ever going to work out for him, which incidentally is why he just signed for two more years as a backup. I like Peter, but based on his history he's not the guy who I ideally want playing goal during a deep playoff run.

Price, for better or worse, is the guy who we're counting on to be a goalie that can bring us deep. We've made our bed, and like some have said earlier in the thread you have to win or lose with your best players.

Now obviously if the playoffs start and he's absolutely terrible you're not going to just leave him in there because of his contract. But when you consider the game against Toronto was the ONLY time all year that he's played that badly, well... I don't think we really need to worry that much about his second egg being laid just because the playoffs are starting.

I agree that "pedigree" shouldn't matter in some senses of the word. I don't care, for example, about the fact that Carey is a first round pick or that he won the World Juniors or his performance with the Bulldogs. But pedigree does matter in the sense that the other option in goal is Peter Budaj who is a known NHL commodity. Budaj's had plenty of chances to prove himself as a number 1 NHL goalie and it's just not worked out for him. In all likelyhood it's not ever going to work out for him, which incidentally is why he just signed for two more years as a backup. I like Peter, but based on his history he's not the guy who I ideally want playing goal during a deep playoff run.

Price, for better or worse, is the guy who we're counting on to be a goalie that can bring us deep. We've made our bed, and like some have said earlier in the thread you have to win or lose with your best players.

Now obviously if the playoffs start and he's absolutely terrible you're not going to just leave him in there because of his contract. But when you consider the game against Toronto was the ONLY time all year that he's played that badly, well... I don't think we really need to worry that much about his second egg being laid just because the playoffs are starting.

Lets not forget that other 6-0 drubbing that we took at the hands of the Leafs. Yes, I know, Price played well in the one win against TO. It looks like we'll probably be playing the Leafs in the fist round. If not, then fine. But I think this team needs to prepare as if they're going to be facing TO in the playoffs. So the last game this season against TO I think will be very telling how the playoffs are going to go. If Price lays another egg in that game, then I would be much more comfortable going with Budaj in the first game.

Will someone just play kaberle already? there is no reason a 20 year old defensemen with less games than he can count on one hand as a top 4 defencemen. I get it develop ur player, but within reason. Bring some veterancy on the blue line, quit blaming goalies its pretty tough stopping shot with 2 guys uncontested 5 feet from the paint. Fix the blue line, watching the last 3 games makes me wanna poop my pants

I don't believe it was all his fault but he could've been just a little better. Maybe really shake up everything, all the forward lines and how about Markov/Gorges,PK/Drewiske, and Kabs/Boullion on D?Couldn't hurt could it?

No, we can't really put the loss on Budaj's back.

he's had a good season, but our blueline protected him well. Now that our blueline has holes, they're not able to protect him like they did earlier in the season.

With Diaz and Emelin out the d looks confused and unable to have any defensive zone coverage.

Can't hurt to give Kabs a chance, but his strong suit is his offense, not defense, so i don't know what people expect to get out of Kabs. Emelin has done well punishing players who come into our zone and has done well covering for Marky's reduced mobility. 2 things that kabs isn't known for. It could give us experience on our lower pairings, but we're missing a top line, shut down dman. Where we're going to get that is anyone's guess.

Diaz is set to return maybe sometime this weekend. So we'll have to weather the storm until he returns.

I agree. That's why i suggested Kabs with Franky and Markov with Gorges. But it would be nice to have that extra physical d-man. I hope Tinordi progresses quickly, we need him too.

If Tinordi was ready, he would've been the right player to replace Emelin's physical game.

• 2 weeks later...

He wasn't tested much, but he stood tall when he had to, and the only goal he gave up was absolutely not his fault (seeing-eye Kessel shot through a ridiculous screen).

Yup. Not tested a whole lot overall, but it's not easy to come out and stop 10 shots in the second half of the 3rd after barely seeing any rubber the previous 30 minutes of play.