The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#17 René Bourque 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Hah, I laughed :lol:

I've pretty much written Bourque off in my mind for whatever reason, but to be hoenst if he can have a great season it would go a long way towards making us a better team.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for this season. He did not come into a very positive situation here in Montreal. Team was in a downward spiral(shipped to last placed team in east), the problems with management and was shipped out of Calgary due to problems with the flames. He was probably very bitter when he came here, angry at his old team and probably even more upset with the fact he was sent to a team in the basement-might've felt that the flames did it as a final jab... You didn't like the flames, how do the flames look now that you're in the basement with your new team?

Doesn't take a genius to see there have been some positive changes here. He may be more inclined to give a lil more this season now that he sees the organization is moving in a positive direction. No one wants to be shipped to a team in turmoil without any hope of making the playoffs. Kinda like... Why bother trying?

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for this season. He did not come into a very positive situation here in Montreal. Team was in a downward spiral(shipped to last placed team in east), the problems with management and was shipped out of Calgary due to problems with the flames. He was probably very bitter when he came here, angry at his old team and probably even more upset with the fact he was sent to a team in the basement-might've felt that the flames did it as a final jab... You didn't like the flames, how do the flames look now that you're in the basement with your new team?

Doesn't take a genius to see there have been some positive changes here. He may be more inclined to give a lil more this season now that he sees the organization is moving in a positive direction. No one wants to be shipped to a team in turmoil without any hope of making the playoffs. Kinda like... Why bother trying?

I suppose that's true, FS. I mean in an ideal world a guy's going to try hard no matter what, but just because Bourque didn't doesn't mean he can't be useful. He didn't have any incentive to play for the playoffs last year and coming in halfway through he didn't even have much incentive to play for his team or teammates. Not to mention that he's got a long term contract so there wasn't much incentive to play for money, either.

Obviously I'd still rather the guy who's going to put the effort in regardless, but here's hoping that better circumstances this year will lead to better results.

Ya it's kind of strange how quickly we wrote him off. The fact is he put up back to back 27 goal seasons and was on pace for the same with Calgary during the first half of this season. He's 2a 5+ goal guy whether he's lazy/inconsistent or not.

He claims the back to back suspensions really bothered him and threw him off his game. Given this happened at the same time as the trade to Montreal, it isn't unreasonable to assume that could affect his play.

Anyway, whether we believe him or not, I doubt there was some kind of magic switch that was flipped when he came to Montreal that eliminated his ability to score. He's still the best hope for a good fit in the LW spot with Pleks and Gionta.

Ya it's kind of strange how quickly we wrote him off. The fact is he put up back to back 27 goal seasons and was on pace for the same with Calgary during the first half of this season. He's 2a 5+ goal guy whether he's lazy/inconsistent or not.

He claims the back to back suspensions really bothered him and threw him off his game. Given this happened at the same time as the trade to Montreal, it isn't unreasonable to assume that could affect his play.

Anyway, whether we believe him or not, I doubt there was some kind of magic switch that was flipped when he came to Montreal that eliminated his ability to score. He's still the best hope for a good fit in the LW spot with Pleks and Gionta.

One problem I can see is his having to play left-wing. I know he shoots left, but he is listed as a right-winger and probably enjoyed greater success playing the right side. Cole struggled on the left and only really took off when playing the right side. The same could be said about A. Kos in some respects. The Habs have had a tendency to try to mold players into a different position, whether that is as a winger playing offside of his strength or a centerman being shifted to the wing (currently Eller for example).

I personally still believe he could be productive playing the right side.

One problem I can see is his having to play left-wing. I know he shoots left, but he is listed as a right-winger and probably enjoyed greater success playing the right side. Cole struggled on the left and only really took off when playing the right side. The same could be said about A. Kos in some respects. The Habs have had a tendency to try to mold players into a different position, whether that is as a winger playing offside of his strength or a centerman being shifted to the wing (currently Eller for example).

I personally still believe he could be productive playing the right side.

The problem is we have Cole and Gionta locked for the RW position on lines one and two. Perhaps Bourque plays RW on the third line?

The problem is we have Cole and Gionta locked for the RW position on lines one and two. Perhaps Bourque plays RW on the third line?

Cole, I'd say yes... Gionta likely, but does he definitely have to slot into the second line? I would place Bourque on the right side with Eller and perhaps with a player like Prust on the left side making a third line. But that is just me.

Gionta, when healthy, can be an effective right wing on any line I think. He does kill penaties well enough so could be that third line right wing with Eller and Prust.

Then again there is speculation recently ( http://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-need-top-six-winger-or-do-they/ ) to play Prust or Armstrong with Plekanec and Gionta. Prust is a lefty... Armstrong shoots right I think.

Cole, I'd say yes... Gionta likely, but does he definitely have to slot into the second line? I would place Bourque on the right side with Eller and perhaps with a player like Prust on the left side making a third line. But that is just me.

Gionta, when healthy, can be an effective right wing on any line I think. He does kill penaties well enough so could be that third line right wing with Eller and Prust.

Then again there is speculation recently ( http://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-need-top-six-winger-or-do-they/ ) to play Prust or Armstrong with Plekanec and Gionta. Prust is a lefty... Armstrong shoots right I think.

I think your idea for the third line is a good one. However, I'm wondering who we can get to play second LW if Bourque and Eller are both on the third line. Perhaps some dark horse out of camp earns the spot. It would certainly be interesting to see what Bourque can do on his opposite side though. Totally worth checking out in training camp.

I think your idea for the third line is a good one. However, I'm wondering who we can get to play second LW if Bourque and Eller are both on the third line. Perhaps some dark horse out of camp earns the spot. It would certainly be interesting to see what Bourque can do on his opposite side though. Totally worth checking out in training camp.

Absolutely try him out, I agree... but there are other options IMO.

Consider this...

Max Pacioretty started out with very little real success until after a return stint in the AHL. He wass chosen 22nd overall in 2007.

Blake Geoffrion was a former Hobey Baker award winner. Is similar in stature and could represent another power forward similar to Pacman perhaps. We can laugh about this suggestion, but it also could be worth a try IMO if he is placed on a line with Plekanec and Gionta. Not my first option for sure (I'd rather Semin)... but if nothing else goes down it is worth exploring.

I suppose that's true, FS. I mean in an ideal world a guy's going to try hard no matter what, but just because Bourque didn't doesn't mean he can't be useful. He didn't have any incentive to play for the playoffs last year and coming in halfway through he didn't even have much incentive to play for his team or teammates. Not to mention that he's got a long term contract so there wasn't much incentive to play for money, either.

Obviously I'd still rather the guy who's going to put the effort in regardless, but here's hoping that better circumstances this year will lead to better results.

Personally I'd rather have a player that gives 100% no matter where he ends up, even if the destination wasn't where he signed.

A lot went on last season and he wasn't the only player going through the motions. He went from a team who was fighting for a playoff spot, to a team that had no chance. Given the way it all went down, I can understand his reluctance, doesn't mean I agree with it, but understand.

I believe the first interview I heard from him concerning the trade and what he knew about the Habs, he answered something along the lines of, "I believe their 14th in the east...".

Despite his laid back style and the fact that fan have complained about him taking nights off and not being physical enough, excluding last season, he still managed to score 27 goals consistently. So if he could get back to his 27 goal performance, he could really help the habs.

We have cole who's about a 25-30 goal scorer, Gio who's between 27-30 goals, Patches who's a 30 goal scorer, with RB back on track, that would give us 4 top 6 players who can score close to and over 30 goal a season. I don't know the last time we had 4 top 6 players capable of scoring around 30 goals each (give or take a few goals).

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I'd rather have a player that gives 100% no matter where he ends up, even if the destination wasn't where he signed.

A lot went on last season and he wasn't the only player going through the motions. He went from a team who was fighting for a playoff spot, to a team that had no chance. Given the way it all went down, I can understand his reluctance, doesn't mean I agree with it, but understand.

I believe the first interview I heard from him concerning the trade and what he knew about the Habs, he answered something along the lines of, "I believe their 14th in the east...".

Despite his laid back style and the fact that fan have complained about him taking nights off and not being physical enough, excluding last season, he still managed to score 27 goals consistently. So if he could get back to his 27 goal performance, he could really help the habs.

We have cole who's about a 25-30 goal scorer, Gio who's between 27-30 goals, Patches who's a 30 goal scorer, with RB back on track, that would give us 4 top 6 players who can score close to and over 30 goal a season. I don't know the last time we had 4 top 6 players capable of scoring around 30 goals each (give or take a few goals).

I do agree with you there.. and yes he's a 25-30 goal guy but his passing is absolute trash and in order for him to impress me hell have to play hard and be physical every night better yet every shift. We gave up alot for him and seeing as Holland is here yet he has to perform every night!

• 3 weeks later...

People are judging Bourque too quickly. Yes, his play was lackluster in the Habs jersey. But he had two consecutive 27-goal seasons before that and was on pace for the same before the trade.

He has a good shot, good wheels and he is better defensively than he has shown so far. He was on the first PK unit in Chicago a few years back.

Let's not jump the gun based on the evidence of half a season that was lost when he arrived.

I'm sure he'll be better than he was last year, 8 points in 38 games is pretty bad. However, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the level we could have reasonably expected from Cammalleri, and that trade has really left a sour taste in my mouth. He's going to be 30 (turning 31) at the start of next season, so he's going to be slowing down due to age pretty soon. Next season is probably the only one where we can reasonably expect decent production from him, and at that I really can only hope for a 20-20-40 season from him. It's just a shame, because this time last year we had Cammalleri and Kostitsyn, but now we have Bourque and Patrick Holland. I wish we had never made that trade. It's not that Bourque is a bad player, but we could have got the same production from a younger and more physical player in Kostitsyn (also, with the departure of Cammalleri and Kostitsyn we have a severe lack of skill in our forward corps).

I'm sure he'll be better than he was last year, 8 points in 38 games is pretty bad. However, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the level we could have reasonably expected from Cammalleri, and that trade has really left a sour taste in my mouth. He's going to be 30 (turning 31) at the start of next season, so he's going to be slowing down due to age pretty soon. Next season is probably the only one where we can reasonably expect decent production from him, and at that I really can only hope for a 20-20-40 season from him. It's just a shame, because this time last year we had Cammalleri and Kostitsyn, but now we have Bourque and Patrick Holland. I wish we had never made that trade. It's not that Bourque is a bad player, but we could have got the same production from a younger and more physical player in Kostitsyn (also, with the departure of Cammalleri and Kostitsyn we have a severe lack of skill in our forward corps).

I didn't like that we received RB for Cammy, but the habs traded one problem player to the flames in return for another problem player. Granted that Cammy's upside surpasses Bourque's, but after running his mouth to the media he showed the league that he'd rather turn to the media than solve things internally-Not something most GM's are looking for.

Cammy's a smart guy, he knew exactly what he was doing when he ran his mouth.

People are judging Bourque too quickly. Yes, his play was lackluster in the Habs jersey. But he had two consecutive 27-goal seasons before that and was on pace for the same before the trade.

He has a good shot, good wheels and he is better defensively than he has shown so far. He was on the first PK unit in Chicago a few years back.

Let's not jump the gun based on the evidence of half a season that was lost when he arrived.

As Noob said, part of the issue is that we got a much weaker return than we should have for Cammalleri. The other issue that makes me wary of Bourque is what Calgary fans thought of him when he was dealt - the knock on him was that he didn't compete and that he really wasn't as good as the 27-goal seasons. Seeing his play last season was an extreme disappointment. It's one thing to see a guy like Gill out-skated because he's slow or a guy like DD muscled off the puck because of his size. Those are physical limitations that come with the package. But with Bourque, it's frustrating to see a guy with a big body and a heavy shot waste his talent a lot of the time. Like you said, it's not really that fair to judge a guy on one half season, especially with the situation he came into. But he's not a rookie, he's a guy in his 30's who has been around a long time. If he's not scoring those 25-30 goals a season, then his value is marginal, as was the case with Cammalleri last year as well. I'm willing to give Bourque another season to prove himself, but he's got to step it up quite a bit to earn his keep.

I'm not holding anything against him for last season. He clearly wasn't happy with the situation in Calgary (which is why they let him go) and it could've been Calgary's final jab at Rene... Something along the lines of, "you weren't happy with the flames... How do the flames look now from the basement?".

No one wants to be traded away from a team they signed a contract with-Unless there's a falling out like Heatley or Cammy. Being traded sucks in itself, being traded to an eastern conference team in the basement, who's on a downward spiral, has to suck even more!

He's a pro athlete and should compete at a high level no matter where he ends up... But can understand if he floated through the rest of the season after joining a team completely out of the playoff picture.

The most undesirable location last season, was probably Montreal. RB showed up for a game to find he was traded to a basement team in complete chaos.

• 1 month later...

With MT i expect his play to improve tenfold from last year seeing him on a line with Eller and Moen makes me very excited for NHL hockey again :) he isn't the best player in the world but should create space for Eler and give the opposing team another threat to deal with and also.. Some improved talent for Eller as well!

With MT i expect his play to improve tenfold from last year seeing him on a line with Eller and Moen makes me very excited for NHL hockey again :) he isn't the best player in the world but should create space for Eler and give the opposing team another threat to deal with and also.. Some improved talent for Eller as well!

Hard to say where he will play but I can't see a Bourque Eller Moen line too often, if he plays 3rd line I'd maybe like to see Armstrong instead of Moen. That's to say they don't try Eller at wing and put him with Gomez, or call up one of Leblanc, Bournival, Gallagher, or Palushaj. So many what ifs but if there's a buyout clause I wouldn't mid seeing them cut ties with Bourque and Gomez to clear cap space and make room for prospects

Hard to say where he will play but I can't see a Bourque Eller Moen line too often, if he plays 3rd line I'd maybe like to see Armstrong instead of Moen. That's to say they don't try Eller at wing and put him with Gomez, or call up one of Leblanc, Bournival, Gallagher, or Palushaj. So many what ifs but if there's a buyout clause I wouldn't mid seeing them cut ties with Bourque and Gomez to clear cap space and make room for prospects

I think Moen deserves third line minutes, And if Eller was going to play wing i'd rather it be with Pleks not Eller haha. I'm iffy with Rene, like i said MT is going to demand alot from everyone so maybe Bourque crumbles underneath that pressure but Sutter demands alot too so it's hard to say.