The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

+1. I was really glad it was him that scored it, everybody seemed to get a real kick out of it. (It was pretty funny the way it happened). Random question: not that it really matters, but will that officially be recorded as an empty net goal given that Scrivens was only half way to the bench and still on the ice?

I don't see it recorded as an empty netter in the boxscore. Talk about a stat killer for Scrivens.

He's always been a streaky player, but when he heats up, he provides great value. It took me a while to appreciate his skill set when he first came here. I didn't like the contract (still don't like the back two years) and I felt that he was overrated but I've really come to like his all-around game. He also fits the winger mold playing alongside someone like Plekanec.

He's always been a streaky player, but when he heats up, he provides great value. It took me a while to appreciate his skill set when he first came here. I didn't like the contract (still don't like the back two years) and I felt that he was overrated but I've really come to like his all-around game. He also fits the winger mold playing alongside someone like Plekanec.

I think that's why I'm not too worried when Gionta is on one of his cold streaks. He's always scored in bunches, but even when he isn't putting the points up, he still brings a 100% effort every night with a ferocious back check and a reliable defensive presence. Compare to a player like Cammalleri or Ryder...Both have better shots and higher offensive talent but they will frustrate you to no end when they are not producing.

I really like what Gionta has done the last couple of games, he's gone back to his old ways of crashing the net instead of being a perimeter player. He's never had an elite shot, he needs to get into the dirty areas to score. Still a great skater too.

Full credit to Gionta for getting himself going, although I do also believe he's found some chemistry with Eller. Like Pacman with his fluke goal, Gionta's EN goal seems to have gotten him going. I still believe he's expendable if another team offers us something interesting, but I like the pairing of Eller-Gionta and am happy to see Gio producing again. I don't believe he'll maintain that value another year-and-a-half, but he is a player with assets and it's nice to see his hard work being rewarded.

Gio has his slumps like most snipers. But of all the players BG acquired that one summer, Gio's been our most productive and most consistent (forget last season, injuries held him down).

Without missing significant time due to injury, he's consistently scored between 25-30 goals a season for us. he has 7 goals in 23 games, over a 82 game season, he should be able to reach his 27 goals a season. Even if he scores only 7 goals in the remaining 25 games, it would be right on par for him.

He's always been streaky, but he's managed to consistently score 27 goals over an 82 game season, I'm not worried about Gio, he'll be fine.

When and if Bourque returns to the line-up does Gionta still play right-wing with Plekanec and Bourque now that Ryder has been added to the roster... or does Ryder end up on the 3rd line?

I highly doubt Gionta, the captain, gets bumped to the third line with the way he's been scoring. I suspect Ryder will be a permanent third-liner once everyone is healthy (though seeing lots of PP duty, obviously).

I highly doubt Gionta, the captain, gets bumped to the third line with the way he's been scoring. I suspect Ryder will be a permanent third-liner once everyone is healthy (though seeing lots of PP duty, obviously).

If Gallagher has a slump I'm sure Ryder would take his place, Pac-DD-Ryder would be a good scoring line.

• 2 weeks later...