The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Gio is one of these guys who flies under the radar. You don't see much on the ice, but when you look at his stats, they remain pretty constant.

Even this season, he's only a few goals under his previous years. Over 43 games he has 12 goals and 12 assists. which over an 82 game season should be around 24 goals, only 3-5 less than his previous seasons. So although he has regressed some, it isn't as bad as it appears. In 2012-11 he put up 29 goals and 46 points, double his point production of this shortened season and he's only a few points behind.

At least in Gio's case when he's not scoring, he's helping on the backcheck. He's only 5'7 so we can't expect him to be physical, but he helps in other ways.

I like what Ryder has done for us, but he's one dimensional, he's a pure snipper. When he's not scoring his back checking/defensive game is average and isn't a physical guy.

Comparing Gio to Ryder, when Gipo isn't putting up the points, he's able to help the team in other ways. When Ryder isn't scoring, he doesn't bring much to the table. Despite ryder being a better goal scorer, Gio is a little more versatile, we can put him in a checking role and he'll do well. When Ryder's goal scoring abilities start to regress as he ages, I don't know if he'll have much of a future in the NHL.

That's why I wouldn't want to sign him past this season. he may only have a few more good years left in him.

If it's just Gionta's cap hit that's bothering you, I wouldn't let it worry you this year. We've got some free cap space already, so I can't imagine that the extra $2M we'd have if Gionta had a lower contract would have really done much to better the team.

I honestly just think we could find better ways to spend that 5 million, and im reminded of that every game. That's what bothers me.

I honestly just think we could find better ways to spend that 5 million, and im reminded of that every game. That's what bothers me.

Keep in mind that pretty much every team has at least 1 "bad" contract. Our problem right now is that we have 2. However, after this year, I think Gionta is about as good as it gets as far as overpayments go. Certainly better than a 5+ million dollar backup.

Well, people were saying the same things about Koivu and he still was usefull after we got rid of him. Chelios too. I'd like to see what he does next year with a more relaxed schedule. I think he's still quite usefull.

I agree.

Once again, scores the key goals in tight games when the team isn't collectively playing its best. That's the kind of guy you want in the playoffs.

Yup. Definitely giving us what he did two years ago, when he had a knack for clutch goals. Last season (in the half he played), he didn't give us the same performance, so I'm glad to see he's back to going hard to the net and scoring at key times.

Yup. Definitely giving us what he did two years ago, when he had a knack for clutch goals. Last season (in the half he played), he didn't give us the same performance, so I'm glad to see he's back to going hard to the net and scoring at key times.

Last year was such a gong show on so many levels that it was hard to judge Gionta accurately. Absolutely nothing went right for us apart from the DD line's emergence. ;)

Gio has always been a streaky player. You can expect him to bring his A game for the playoffs. That's what good players like him do.

The fact is that we're still getting decent value for his contract.

yes i love gio but we have a younger bigger him now.. let's trade him i know if we add a blue chip prospect we can land a great top 6 power forward.

Great, gio gone as well.

Not like Gio was a factor in yesterday's game, but I'd be better hearing DD will miss.

Factor yesterday or not, he's still our leading goal-scorer from the recular season, a top defensive player and our captain. Here's hoping that the other guys can really step it up tonight.