The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Factor yesterday or not, he's still our leading goal-scorer from the recular season, a top defensive player and our captain. Here's hoping that the other guys can really step it up tonight.

i have no issues with Gio, I've been defending him for the last few years. He's the type of player who seems invisible, then you look at his stats at the end of the season and he's consistently put up between 25-29 goals for us, excluding last last season. Even this season he's not far off from his previous seasons.

What i was saying is I'd be less disappointed losing DD, even though that would leave us with 2 less centres.

As reported in the injury thread.

BUT IS A FALSE ALARM

Injured or re-injured his arm which will require surgery & is done for the season.

Where did that come from? Kevin Weekes during HNIC? Media at practice said Gionta looked fine (doesn't mean he's not hurt) , team said he's travelling to Ottawa with the team and is day to day.

I'm very confused too. I'm looking all over the web but can't find anything. What is going on?

Weekes isn't on the Habs beat so until I hear from those who are , I'll treat this as a rumor.

Kevin Weekes @KevinWeekes 27m

@mattCH_ @dave_stubbs NOPE never said should surgery.Said "Gionta has an Upper Body injury that will eventually require surgery" #Merci

jeremy ram @jeremyram16 15m

@KevinWeekes @Dave_Stubbs you sad he is out with an upper body injury and needs surgery

Kevin Weekes @KevinWeekes 15m

@NLRepublic @dave_stubbs @mattch_ Yes."Likely."He will do everything he can to play.Will require surgery at some point.

#blameHTL

Don't kill the messenger. He clearly said on TV that he is very likely out of the remaining playoffs and will require surgery

A real captain would of scored on that breakaway! none of that would of hapened. Gallager should be the Captain.

So if you don't score on a breakaway you shouldn't be captain? And what eveidence do you possibly have to say that Gallagher would have scored on the breakaway and that he would be a better choice than the 16 other skaters that aren't Gionta?

Gionta is not what he used to be

I agree....there was a time he wasn't a professional hockey player :P

Sorry for the swear Habs-Rule-Forever. All I was trying to say is that a true leader would of scored on that break away. Gionta had a chacnce to prove that he was our leader. In a close game like that when your whole team is watching you and down by one goal you have to bury that. Just imagine he ties it up,playing hurt and all that mumbo jumbo. the team would of got a boost and changed the outcome of the game. The same situation happened with Prust he decided to be polite and ask Neil to fight kind of like how Laraque used to do. Instead of just dropping the gloves and filling him, giving the team the boost. Neil ends up filling some guy named Moen 15 min. later and giving the Sens all the momentum going into game #3

Ps im not sure if gionta had a chance to tie it or bring us within one, had a couple beveriges tonight.

Funny... I guess I deserved that. Gionta gives it his best shot most of the time, but his best is not as good as it used to be... how's that?

Better :lol:

Still has value though. Given how the rest of the team played, I find it hard to be that disappointed in him. Had an assist, and the fact that he had chances alone speaks volumes IMO.

I think Gio is a good captain and a good player. He's good for the younger players. No, he's not the player he used to be, but neither is Moen,Boullion or Markov for that matter, and I believe DD, Patches and Ryder have been invisible and less effective than Gio. At least Gio contributes defensively as well when not producing offence. I think like the rest of the veterans that have slowed down due to injuries and age that are still usefull, the best thing to due is to reduce their TOI and they would be more effective.