The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Petteri Nokelainen

He basically got Darches contract. From a hockey standpoint it makes sense. Young, right handed scrappy center vs aging gritty winger, it's totally justified in that way.

I am ok with Noke but I LIKED Darche. He's a good guy and the habs will miss having his diehard presence around the locker room. I hope we reward him with a front office job if another NHL team doesn't sign him. I just don't like leaving a good hometown soldier out in the cold singing for his supper. I realize it's a business but Darche has carved out a special place in this City and deserves to be rewarded in some form.

• 1 month later...

He basically got Darches contract. From a hockey standpoint it makes sense. Young, right handed scrappy center vs aging gritty winger, it's totally justified in that way.

I am ok with Noke but I LIKED Darche. He's a good guy and the habs will miss having his diehard presence around the locker room. I hope we reward him with a front office job if another NHL team doesn't sign him. I just don't like leaving a good hometown soldier out in the cold singing for his supper. I realize it's a business but Darche has carved out a special place in this City and deserves to be rewarded in some form.

I prefer noke to darche.. i mean i liked darche too but watching him skate i was thinking the entire time.. "please pass the puck before my grandmother catches up to you"

Noke should get more chances this season too.. i just hope MT roles all four lines.

I prefer noke to darche.. i mean i liked darche too but watching him skate i was thinking the entire time.. "please pass the puck before my grandmother catches up to you"

Noke should get more chances this season too.. i just hope MT roles all four lines.

I don't see any reason we can't. Last year some injuries (White, Moen) really hurt our bottom 6, particularly the 4th line (leading to Staubitz who needed sheltered minutes). With White and Moen returning, and the additions of Prust and Armstrong, we have solid players in our bottom 6 and can roll 4 lines.

• 2 months later...

I don't see any reason we can't. Last year some injuries (White, Moen) really hurt our bottom 6, particularly the 4th line (leading to Staubitz who needed sheltered minutes). With White and Moen returning, and the additions of Prust and Armstrong, we have solid players in our bottom 6 and can roll 4 lines.

Great point and I agree with the exception or Armstrong.. I wouldn't count on him being healthy in fact in my head when i do different line combo's I don't consider armstrong a main stay. I would like to see a fourth line like White Nokes Prust and then play that line 7-10 minutes a night giving plenty rest to our top two lines.. I hate the bruins but Claude does a great job with his lines and other then The beregon line there isn't really high end talent there.. I don't consider Krecji that great Looch as a top six guy not top three and Horton.. meh.. but those lines and rested and can play to their limit every night because they're not being leaned on.

He was an upgrade over Engqvist. But im a little disappointed we didnt do something like sign domenic moore this offseason. Loved that guy.

I don't consider him much of an upgrade, honestly. He provides zero offense, takes bad penalties for the amount of ice time he gets, and isn't even good enough to be a 1st-line penalty killer, nor does he hit or fight. I'd much rather use that roster spot on a guy like Dumont, or another younger player with at least a chance of developing into a piece we can use down the line.

I don't consider him much of an upgrade, honestly. He provides zero offense, takes bad penalties for the amount of ice time he gets, and isn't even good enough to be a 1st-line penalty killer, nor does he hit or fight. I'd much rather use that roster spot on a guy like Dumont, or another younger player with at least a chance of developing into a piece we can use down the line.

I forgot about Dumont, a line of Blunden-Dumont-White and slotting in Prust would be a great 4th line IMO.

I forgot about Dumont, a line of Blunden-Dumont-White and slotting in Prust would be a great 4th line IMO.

And Dumont has a little nasty streak in him, I like that in a grinder. Dumont can also offer some offense. Nokie was suppose to be an offensive player, but never got it going in the NHL.

Imo the only thing Nokie offers is experience.

And Dumont has a little nasty streak in him, I like that in a grinder. Dumont can also offer some offense. Nokie was suppose to be an offensive player, but never got it going in the NHL.

Imo the only thing Nokie offers is experience.

To be fair i think weve got enough experience now.

Markov

Moen

Gionta

Pleks

Kaberle

Boullion

Then you have guys like Price Gorges Subban and Pacioretty who have all been through our prospect system and have been on the team for a while. Subban on the other hand has been forced to sort of mature and he apparently is a leader type guy in the locker room.

Guest habs1952

He was an upgrade over Engqvist. But im a little disappointed we didnt do something like sign domenic moore this offseason. Loved that guy.

Moore shouldn't have been let go in the first place.

Moore shouldn't have been let go in the first place.

He wanted too much money, and frankly, he's more of a 3rd-line center than a comparable for Noke. But as I've said repeatedly, it was a mistake to let a low-cost option like Halpern go. He was a guy who could actually play he penalty kill and win draws effectively, and his offensive skill was superior to Noke's, as was Glen metropolit's. Nokelainen, while a small part of the big picture, was a big downgrade on the 4th line over what we had had the few years before him.

I think if nokes is given more chances he will proove us wrong but if he doesn't big deal.. we gave up a career AHLer for him, so nbd we just got a size upgrade.. and he is pretty gritty imo, There are better players out there for sure when it comes to gritt but nokes can fill in until management think that dumont is ready.. Gabriel isn't that small tbh he is 5'10 same height as richards if he could just put on about 15 pounds it would really help him out in the NHL.

He wanted too much money, and frankly, he's more of a 3rd-line center than a comparable for Noke. But as I've said repeatedly, it was a mistake to let a low-cost option like Halpern go. He was a guy who could actually play he penalty kill and win draws effectively, and his offensive skill was superior to Noke's, as was Glen metropolit's. Nokelainen, while a small part of the big picture, was a big downgrade on the 4th line over what we had had the few years before him.

Metro would have been good too. I read over on HFboards that in the playoffs he used to hang aroudn with a guy on the boards and said all the things we heard about JM never changing up what wasn't working, lack of communication between players and front office etc. but I thought having Pleks-Gomez-Moore-Metro was a good 4 centres at the time. PLus laps could play centre

But i dont get the rush to re sign noke, we could have had someone better to slot in that 4th line centre spot.

Metro would have been good too. I read over on HFboards that in the playoffs he used to hang aroudn with a guy on the boards and said all the things we heard about JM never changing up what wasn't working, lack of communication between players and front office etc. but I thought having Pleks-Gomez-Moore-Metro was a good 4 centres at the time. PLus laps could play centre

But i dont get the rush to re sign noke, we could have had someone better to slot in that 4th line centre spot.

Well I do believe we were considered very deep when we had those 4 guys.. that was the season pleky put up 70 points... gomez had 64 and moore was great all around and glen i do blieve lead the team with power play goals :o

• 2 weeks later...

Same here

When I see this guy's name on the roster , I say " who "?

• 1 month later...

So just to get this straight, here's a player who came over to us last season, had a bad year, and was re-signed without a good reason but remains on the injury list even though the season got pushed back 4 months? Here's hoping he spends the season in the AHL because in my opinion, White, Dumont, Nattinen, etc. are all better options for the 4th line.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I feel he was a contingency plan that no rookie would make the team and we needed a guy to slot into a bottom 6 role.

Yup and a nice plan. Habs are struggling in the circle on face offs. He can help against the better teams in the circle. I like having him around. But I like Palushaj as a 3rd or 4th lineer - so what do I know. There's some decent plugs if any of the bottom 6 get hurt. That's a good thing. Blunden too.

Yup and a nice plan. Habs are struggling in the circle on face offs. He can help against the better teams in the circle. I like having him around. But I like Palushaj as a 3rd or 4th lineer - so what do I know. There's some decent plugs if any of the bottom 6 get hurt. That's a good thing. Blunden too.

I woud have been happier with blunden and re-signing conboy than bringing back noke. There was an abundance of 4th line centre options who are much better in the circle than noke. He was alright when we got him, but he was no jeff halpern/domenic moore/jay mcclement that we could have signed for just a few 100 more K