The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#14 Tomas Plekanec 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I think that Pleks is one of our top two forwards. Key to our PK. It would be nice to give Pleks a few good wingers this season. Last year was difficult with all of the injuries and trades. I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Pleks for the next 12 months. I expect that DD or Eller will be traded to make room for our #3 pick. Not Pleks. I think that Pleks could also move to the wing if necessary although I can only remember Pleks at center.

One positive I see is that with all the line juggling he had to endure last season, this year with what you would presume is a more consistent coach he would have gained the ability to work with anyone; to be a sort of universally compatible cog in the system. Seems like it could be beneficial to have had that experience.

Guest archey

“It can sometimes be an advantage to have a coach feel like you can play with anybody or be put in a variety of situations and still succeed.” - Tomas Plekanec

:rolleyes:

pleks must be carey's favorite--from his roping point of view.

it kind of makes me a little edgy if not outright sad though when i start thinking about how the obvious needs to be stated at times.

Don't rope that bull!! Move a tenth of a step over when dealing with that mare!!! Drink 4 ounces less water before a friday practice!!!!

i mean if i had a team that COULDN'T listen when i was a coach it would be one thing-- and things happen to make THAT happen--but coaching is a tough job----and those who make it easier are gold.

One positive I see is that with all the line juggling he had to endure last season, this year with what you would presume is a more consistent coach he would have gained the ability to work with anyone; to be a sort of universally compatible cog in the system. Seems like it could be beneficial to have had that experience.

His points definitely slipped last season. Given the constant juggling, the fact he had cammy who had obviously given up on the team, grinders and the icing on the cake, Bourque... Gotta give it to him for even being able to put up 52 points.

With consistent top 6 wingers, I see him getting back to his old form. He'll also have some defensive help this season. MB seems to be trying to lighten Pleks work load, maybe he won't slow down in the 2nd half of the season from exhaustion.

His points definitely slipped last season. Given the constant juggling, the fact he had cammy who had obviously given up on the team, grinders and the icing on the cake, Bourque... Gotta give it to him for even being able to put up 52 points.

With consistent top 6 wingers, I see him getting back to his old form. He'll also have some defensive help this season. MB seems to be trying to lighten Pleks work load, maybe he won't slow down in the 2nd half of the season from exhaustion.

With Prust and Armstrong added to the PK units, Pleks should be fresher for PP and regular shifts.

Keep trucking, Tomas. I just hope he gets a break this year with some proper linemates. I am disgusted at "fans" calling him out for two "poor" seasons when they seem to be blinded by the stat sheet.

On TSN I read this in the comment section:

Dude, Double D is more of an offensive threat than Plekanec ever has been and ever will be. You say 'cause he played beside our best wingers'... Umm why do you think they were our best wingers (points wise)... it's because the mini dynamite Double D can't help himself but only make tape to tape passes right through the other teams D with ease!

I don't even know where to start.

Guest habs1952

Keep trucking, Tomas. I just hope he gets a break this year with some proper linemates. I am disgusted at "fans" calling him out for two "poor" seasons when they seem to be blinded by the stat sheet.

On TSN I read this in the comment section:

I don't even know where to start.

Those so called fans don't know anything about the game. All they think about is points. TP does so much more. Sure it would be nice to have him get more points but I don't think I've ever seen a more well rounded player on the Habs in 50+ years.

Keep reading the comments on TSN and you will wind up in the looney bin. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hes so quiet that I forget to give him some appreciation. I have alot of favourites on this team but hes defintiely one of them. The things he does for our team night in and night out make him so valuable that I wouldn't trade him. A while ago when it was being discussed I thought if we can get a better offensive guy why not? We need to build around young guys anyways.

Now Im thinking, Tomas would be a great veteran presence for our team down the road, homegrown, loves playing here, and can contribute on both ends of the ice. For the next few years of his prime Id try to get him more offensive chances. When he hits the end of this contract we resign him and allow him to finish his career in Montreal, as he ages we slide him down the line up to become more of a defensive PK centre instead of having to sign a rental year in and year out.

In short i just cant picture the team without Tomas ;)

Hes so quiet that I forget to give him some appreciation. I have alot of favourites on this team but hes defintiely one of them. The things he does for our team night in and night out make him so valuable that I wouldn't trade him. A while ago when it was being discussed I thought if we can get a better offensive guy why not? We need to build around young guys anyways.

Now Im thinking, Tomas would be a great veteran presence for our team down the road, homegrown, loves playing here, and can contribute on both ends of the ice. For the next few years of his prime Id try to get him more offensive chances. When he hits the end of this contract we resign him and allow him to finish his career in Montreal, as he ages we slide him down the line up to become more of a defensive PK centre instead of having to sign a rental year in and year out.

In short i just cant picture the team without Tomas ;)

Your bit about Tomas being quiet is so accurate. I always look at the core as Price, Subban, Patches and Gorges, but Pleks is like Gorges in the sense they both do all the little things right and get overlooked. Yeah we would be foolish to let Pleks go.

Guest habs1952

Found this in the archives, I think it was written by Greame....I think its kinda true

I don't think he's a #1 center because he doesn't ooze offensive talent. But, someone in the Habs organization certainly identified what role Tomas would excel in and excel he has. Tomas fulfills a role not too many offensive talents could and is just as valuable to the team IMO.

Comparing him to first line centers in the traditional sense is a bit of an unfair parallel.

I'd put Tomas in a seperate list in this company of top EVERY situation centers in the league (ES best vs best, pp, pk)

1- Datsyuk

2- Toews

3- Richards

4- Giroux

5- Kesler

6- Bergeron

7- M.Koivu

8- Plekanec

9- Marleau

10- J. Staal

Some people get ranked below Pleks because they either wouldn't get chosen as the lone forward on a 5-3 or aren't top PP center. It's arbitrary but I think for the Habs that's the class you place Plekanec in: he's not with the pure offensive centers but he's certainly an elite top ten all world NHL center on our team.

• 2 weeks later...

A good write-up about Tomas on AllHabs site, showing his value. Somewhere I read that with additions of Prust and Armstrong should relieve Pleks of some PK time, giving him more time on ES and PP which should translate into more points. :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest archey

i'm thinking pleks got dinged by this max contract.

on the other hand it just crossed my mind....so its not written in stone.

what am i saying?.......i would treat him for scrapes and bruises cause the contract isn't 100% fair to him....

i'm thinking pleks got dinged by this max contract.

on the other hand it just crossed my mind....so its not written in stone.

what am i saying?.......i would treat him for scrapes and bruises cause the contract isn't 100% fair to him....

I would agree, but im not entirely sure what you just said. :lol:

Archived