The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Scott Gomez

#11 Scott Gomez

8467351.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

"“As I've said before, that's a management decision,” Gomez said in a text message to the Montreal Gazette when asked about the buyout report. “I only worry about what I can control and I'm already in the gym getting ready for next season. That's my only focus. I'll let the media focus on rumours and debate what (the Canadiens) should or shouldn't do.” - Scott Gomez

- Vancouver Sun 2 May 2012

Doubt anyone is going to pick up ;)

Thats OK, just venting. Personally I hope he shows up and shuts us all up. Lots of wondering what MB is doing on UFA day, but I'm sure he has a plan. Maybe this toughness gives the others room to move and play a little on the edge themselves. just venting and hoping.

I believe we can just send him to the minors and pay him to play there and his salary wont count agaisnt our cap rather it will count agaisnt non rostered players. that way we have an additional 7.6 million to pick up or trade for someone else. can anyone confirm this?

I believe we can just send him to the minors and pay him to play there and his salary wont count agaisnt our cap rather it will count agaisnt non rostered players. that way we have an additional 7.6 million to pick up or trade for someone else. can anyone confirm this?

True.

best news ive heard all day

It's only a team option to go this route. The buy out period is now over so it's the Dogs, Habs or a trade at this point.

:D

No but seriously... Gomez is only 32, he isn't done yet. He still has the wheels and I thought he put on an inspired effort when he came back from injury last season before he for whatever reason got shuffled to the fourth line, forced to watch Darche and White miss I don't know how many good chances.

I hate his stupid contract and cap hit but if we aren't using it... let him play, what have we got to lose at this point? None of our prospects is quite ready yet, I think AHL top-line minutes will suit them better.

:D

No but seriously... Gomez is only 32, he isn't done yet. He still has the wheels and I thought he put on an inspired effort when he came back from injury last season before he for whatever reason got shuffled to the fourth line, forced to watch Darche and White miss I don't know how many good chances.

I hate his stupid contract and cap hit but if we aren't using it... let him play, what have we got to lose at this point? None of our prospects is quite ready yet, I think AHL top-line minutes will suit them better.

with gomez with have 8 million in cap space i believe

i think 4-5 of that will go to subban. that gives us 4 million to resign defensemen we are pushing it so close

Oh boy.

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Bergevin says he is not buying out Gomez's contract. "He is part of the team." He will come to camp and be expected to perform.

I think there's legitimate questions about him being a distraction and giving playing time to our (multiple) younger centers, but let's focus on the least-debatable: the cap space.

Right now we have about 9.5 million in cap space for a 20 man roster (I'm diverging from Gapgeek a little bit by assuming Nokelainen or Weber will be sent down). Using that, we need to sign Subban, Eller, and hopefully a top-six winger.

Eller will probably get about 1.5, maybe 2 million; Subban I have really no idea but I wouldn't be shocked with 4 or 5. We could presumably get someone like Jagr for a few million. We should probably have some cap space for injuries, trades, etc. Keeping Gomez is doable, but as-is, it will make it challenging to sign a top-six winger and could also put us right against the cap.

Even if Gomez does well in training camp, the question is: can we afford him? If we don't get another top-six winger, presumably we could. But otherwise, it's going to be a tight fit.

I think there's legitimate questions about him being a distraction and giving playing time to our (multiple) younger centers, but let's focus on the least-debatable: the cap space.

Right now we have about 9.5 million in cap space for a 20 man roster (I'm diverging from Gapgeek a little bit by assuming Nokelainen or Weber will be sent down). Using that, we need to sign Subban, Eller, and hopefully a top-six winger.

Eller will probably get about 1.5, maybe 2 million; Subban I have really no idea but I wouldn't be shocked with 4 or 5. We could presumably get someone like Jagr for a few million. We should probably have some cap space for injuries, trades, etc. Keeping Gomez is doable, but as-is, it will make it challenging to sign a top-six winger and could also put us right against the cap.

Even if Gomez does well in training camp, the question is: can we afford him? If we don't get another top-six winger, presumably we could. But otherwise, it's going to be a tight fit.

Just to address the points you and Weep brought up:

1. Buyout period is over, so it's a moot point now. If the new CBA allows a penalty-free buyout, I'm sure that changes what Bergevin does.

2. Jagr is not coming, as announced by the Habs. The only guy on the market who could fit the top 6 LW position would be Semin, who will probably cost 6m+, in which case we'd have to get rid of Gomez or kabs...

3. It sounds like Bergevin is going ahead with Bourque and the young guys in the mix for the 2nd/3rd line. If so, we have plenty of cap space. The decision would be to either keep Gomez with about 2-3m in cap space or demote him and sit with 10m in cap space. The latter doesn't make a ton of sense. If we come across a signing or trade that we need cap space for, we can always demote Gomez during the season. But given the apparent decision not to use the rest of the cap space, I believe Gomez will be here to start the season.

Last three years and especially the last 2 he's shone a 7 million dollar aura that sarcastically implied "I want to be anywhere but Montreal". Last season is a tough one to summarize for Scott based on the "injury riddled campaign", but 11 points in 38 games is nothing to have chips and salsa over.

I'm not convinced he's a useful player anywhere and especially in Montreal, but uhhh like a postman rain or sleet or Gomez I'll watch what Canadians games I can . !

Maybe he can be put on a line with someone that can actually score.

Doesn't sound like that's likely. It actually sounds like if he stays that he'll be playing with

1. The loser (Bourque or Eller) of the fight for the last top 6 spot

2. One of Armstrong/Prust/LL/Palushaj

Not ideal for Gomez, but I get the feeling the team has kind of written off any contribution he can make.

He will be at camp and perform if he does good its the pressbox, if he fails its the AHL, if he does really bad it's the pressbox in the AHL. :) Honestly, I think we should give up on him and if we can't trade him send him to the minors.

I would give him 15 games, and see how he does. If he does ok, then good,,,but if not, I would like him out of the dressing room,,,,I don't care how.

I feel that Gomez drags the whole team down as well as most of the fans.Year after year it's the same thing "This year he will be better" and it never happens. Last year we saw Gomez at his best, he has nothing left. There is nothing we can do except get him as far away from this team as possible. Let the mix of new faces and contributing players carry this team into the playoffs AT LEAST! without the distraction of a player that has given up.

I am excited for what MB has done up to this point, I think the last piece of the puzzle is getting Gomez out of the picture.

For Gomez, his contract was like winning the lottery, yeah you still come to work but you aren't going to work as hard as you did before.

Archived