The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Save TSN 990

FirstStar

TSN 990 (once called Team 990) is scheduled to become a francohpone radio station. English speaking Hab fans from Montreal and those throughout North America who stream the show will lose it's English voice.

For those who want to save the radio station is urged to sign petitions and send emails to Bell Media and TSN.

Those with links to petitions can post them in here.

I'm providing a link bellow to the story. TSN 990 around noon today said more information should come out in the coming days.

Bell Media to convert Montreal's TSN 990 to a francophone station

TSN 990 (once called Team 990) is scheduled to become a francohpone radio station. English speaking Hab fans from Montreal and those throughout North America who stream the show will lose it's English voice.

For those who want to save the radio station is urged to sign petitions and send emails to Bell Media and TSN.

Those with links to petitions can post them in here.

I'm providing a link bellow to the story. TSN 990 around noon today said more information should come out in the coming days.

Bell Media to convert Montreal's TSN 990 to a francophone station

For cryin out loud,,,,what next? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Here's a link to a petition, not sure if it's the only one.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savetsn990/

On edit, I found another one.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/753/564/231/save-tsn-990/

It's horrible isn't Kinot. I have no issues listening to French sports radio or the games in French, but I am better in English and do appreciate an English voice. When they had that other French sports station, I use to switch back and forth between it and Team 990 while in my car.

It's not like TSN 990 hasn't done well, they actually have listeners all over North America (streaming).

Thanx for the link Kinot.

It's horrible isn't Kinot. I have no issues listening to French sports radio or the games in French, but I am better in English and do appreciate an English voice. When they had that other French sports station, I use to switch back and forth between it and Team 990 while in my car.

It's not like TSN 990 hasn't done well, they actually have listeners all over North America (streaming).

Yeah, i think that stinks. Wonder if has any connection with joint purchase of ML??

I watch RDS all the time for the games, but, after the games and the next day, I turn on 990 to hear their take.

Glad to help out FS. You would think that if they do switch languages, that there might be an interested English station to pick it up. Failing that scenario, the only thing I can think of, is picking up the opponents radio broadcast. they all seem to have them.

Habs I/O,,,,has a more comprehensive article on the switch. It also says that TSN 990 "It’s expected the Canadiens broadcasts will remain on TSN 990 for the 2012-’13 season."

Link to the full article.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/tsn-990-to-become-french-radio-station

I watch RDS all the time for the games, but, after the games and the next day, I turn on 990 to hear their take.

Glad to help out FS. You would think that if they do switch languages, that there might be an interested English station to pick it up. Failing that scenario, the only thing I can think of, is picking up the opponents radio broadcast. they all seem to have them.

Habs I/O,,,,has a more comprehensive article on the switch. It also says that TSN 990 "It’s expected the Canadiens broadcasts will remain on TSN 990 for the 2012-’13 season."

Link to the full article.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/tsn-990-to-become-french-radio-station

Pretty sure the plan would be to move the Habs games back to CJAD, there will always be Habs games in English on the radio but I guess there isn't a big enough demand for an all English sports radio station anymore.

Anyway, this is the way it was explained to me,

Bell went out and bought Astral. CRTC rules are that one company can not own more than 3 stations in any one language. TSN990 is the one with the smallest number of listeners and they don't own 3 French radio stations (I guess), so they can keep the all sports radio by converting it to French.

This is terrible, In the past year I've loved listening to games at work and streaming discussions about the Habs. It seems more and more it's harder for English speaking Habs fans to follow their team, there are arguably just as many English Habs fans as French. I dot understand the legality of all this but why can't there be 2, what's going to happen to all the personalities? Are they all bilingual?

Wait, shouldn't it not matter what language the station is in, provided they have Habs coverage?* What's wrong with listening to the coverage in French? It will still be a 24-hour sports radio station, just in French, not English.

*That was the argument I heard against hiring bilingual coaches. :rolleyes:

Wait, shouldn't it not matter what language the station is in, provided they have Habs coverage?* What's wrong with listening to the coverage in French? It will still be a 24-hour sports radio station, just in French, not English.

Heh, touché. But just to play devil's advocate I'd be willing to bet that the French radio stations would have provided a translated version of any English press conferences. I doubt that there will be any English radio stations providing a translated version of everything on the French radio station :lol:

That's right!

They could call the game in Japanese. I'm sure there would be no complaints ;)

This is terrible, In the past year I've loved listening to games at work and streaming discussions about the Habs. It seems more and more it's harder for English speaking Habs fans to follow their team, there are arguably just as many English Habs fans as French. I dot understand the legality of all this but why can't there be 2, what's going to happen to all the personalities? Are they all bilingual?

+1, nice point, i totally agree...

Heh, touché. But just to play devil's advocate I'd be willing to bet that the French radio stations would have provided a translated version of any English press conferences. I doubt that there will be any English radio stations providing a translated version of everything on the French radio station :lol:

:)

Maybe there should be English translations. After all, language doesn't matter, right? It's just about coverage. Why should I limit myself to making a special case for English coverage when I can just get the absolutely best coverage available? :P

So you'll be able to listen to the games online still, in English. They'll be on CJAD, not TSN990 when the time comes. There CAN be 2, it's just this makes the most financial sense for Bell, which is really all that matters. Bell can only own up to 3 English stations at once, I believe (3 French too), so this kind of let's them have their cake and eat it too. They'll still own the Canadiens English radio rights and they'll still broadcast them, it will just be back on CJAD.

It seems entirely possible someone else starts another all English sports radio station in Montreal but it would likely have to be all talk, it would be really hard to pry the rights away from Bell.

I was waiting for someone to make that analogy. ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure some other station will pick up the slack and have English Montreal sports radio. I have to think there's too big of a market there to be ignored; someone will want that piece of pie.

So you'll be able to listen to the games online still, in English. They'll be on CJAD, not TSN990 when the time comes. There CAN be 2, it's just this makes the most financial sense for Bell, which is really all that matters. Bell can only own up to 3 English stations at once, I believe (3 French too), so this kind of let's them have their cake and eat it too. They'll still own the Canadiens English radio rights and they'll still broadcast them, it will just be back on CJAD.

It seems entirely possible someone else starts another all English sports radio station in Montreal but it would likely have to be all talk, it would be really hard to pry the rights away from Bell.

Thanks, I didn't know about CJAD and I see they have an app, how do their shows/talk compare to 990? I liked the talks with Lebrun, McGuire and Dregger in 990 but it's not the end of the world

Thanks, I didn't know about CJAD and I see they have an app, how do their shows/talk compare to 990? I liked the talks with Lebrun, McGuire and Dregger in 990 but it's not the end of the world

It's not a sports network, as far as I know. They used to have Habs games until recently and with Bell taking them over that's where the games would go again. Likely just the game and maybe a pre and post game as well but it's not round the clock sports.

I never really listened to it, I'm just telling you what I read. The actual Habs games will always be available in English.

Twitter is flooded with all this. If you have a twitter account you can help. I have a link to a petition as well as a link to a form given by the CTRC where you can comment on the decision and hopefully change it. I heard CTRC is the one that forced Bell to switch a station to a francophone one. People on twitter are also planning a rally to Mclean's pub.

Petition:

http://www.petitiononlinecanada.com/petition/demand-to-the-crtc-to-block-bell-media-to-convert-tsn990-to-a-francophone-station/1034

CTRC:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-370.htm

I don't see what good petitioning Bell would do. TSN 990 is both the smallest group of listeners, and quite likely the only one that can feasibly be switched over to French and still maintain some solid numbers. It would be idiotic of them to drop or switch another station.

You'd really have to petition the CRTC to change the rule, but not sure that happens. It's probably in place to prevent monopolies from cropping up, so I don't know that they'd even consider it.

I do feel for everyone affected by this though, it sucks. Still, even this happens, something else will replace it. There will never not be English sports radio in Montreal, at least not for long IMHO.

It's not a sports network, as far as I know. They used to have Habs games until recently and with Bell taking them over that's where the games would go again. Likely just the game and maybe a pre and post game as well but it's not round the clock sports.

I never really listened to it, I'm just telling you what I read. The actual Habs games will always be available in English.

You're right.

CJAD is a call in radio station that use to air Hab games until TSN 990 picked it up last season.

i agree, i have a feeling that it'll go back to CJAD once they shut down 990.

The last thing I read (HIO) said that they still have the rights for the games through the 2012-13 season. So not quite sure when they switch will be made.

Btw BCH, it's Bell Media who is shutting it down, not TSN. So I don't see how the CRTC has anything to do with it. There is the whole rule about not owning 3 radio stations in 1 language (which is why they have to convert it to french), I still don't know why all of a sudden it's an issue. I'd have to research a lil to see when Bell Media took over.

I honestly think it's ridiculous. CKAC was the All Sports francophone station and it went off the air last year. TSN 990 from all accounts has done well, maybe not as well as TSN Toronto or Vancouver, but has held it's own in Montreal.

Maybe it was mismanagement that caused CKAC to close it doors. Maybe they feel without an English competition it should do well. I really don't know, all speculation on my part.

I don't see what good petitioning Bell would do. TSN 990 is both the smallest group of listeners, and quite likely the only one that can feasibly be switched over to French and still maintain some solid numbers. It would be idiotic of them to drop or switch another station.

You'd really have to petition the CRTC to change the rule, but not sure that happens. It's probably in place to prevent monopolies from cropping up, so I don't know that they'd even consider it.

I do feel for everyone affected by this though, it sucks. Still, even this happens, something else will replace it. There will never not be English sports radio in Montreal, at least not for long IMHO.

I hope your right about the sports radio station BeanCounter :)

This is from Allhabs.net. Clears some of why it is happening.

► TSN990′s days numbered?: In a surprising announcement yesterday, Bell Canada Enterprises filed a request to the CRTC to switch current English-language Montreal sports radio station TSN990 to a French station, RDS990, ahead of the long-planned move of the network to the 690 AM frequency. Just last summer, the Canadiens signed a 7-year agreement with TSN990 for the rights to English-language radio broadcast of Habs games. However, Bell is in the process of completing an acquisition of Astral Media, which owns CJAD800 AM in Montreal, and CRTC anti-monopoly regulations would prevent the parent company from holding both CJAD and TSN Radio. Thus, as part of the announcement, it is mentioned that once the switch to RDS990 takes place, Canadiens games will once again be heard in English on CJAD as they were prior to this past season.

On first blush it may appear that this news may have ramifications both for the media industry in Montreal and for fans listening on radio or by internet around the world. It is yet to be determined if we can expect CJAD – a news talk radio station – to increase its sports content, once the changes are implemented. Although Montreal fans will no longer have an English sports-only radio station, they will fill the void by turning to non-traditional media sources as they have been doing in ever-increasing numbers. This is all just part of the changing landscape of sports coverage and fan empowerment.

This is from Allhabs.net. Clears some of why it is happening.

► TSN990′s days numbered?: In a surprising announcement yesterday, Bell Canada Enterprises filed a request to the CRTC to switch current English-language Montreal sports radio station TSN990 to a French station, RDS990, ahead of the long-planned move of the network to the 690 AM frequency. Just last summer, the Canadiens signed a 7-year agreement with TSN990 for the rights to English-language radio broadcast of Habs games. However, Bell is in the process of completing an acquisition of Astral Media, which owns CJAD800 AM in Montreal, and CRTC anti-monopoly regulations would prevent the parent company from holding both CJAD and TSN Radio. Thus, as part of the announcement, it is mentioned that once the switch to RDS990 takes place, Canadiens games will once again be heard in English on CJAD as they were prior to this past season.

On first blush it may appear that this news may have ramifications both for the media industry in Montreal and for fans listening on radio or by internet around the world. It is yet to be determined if we can expect CJAD – a news talk radio station – to increase its sports content, once the changes are implemented. Although Montreal fans will no longer have an English sports-only radio station, they will fill the void by turning to non-traditional media sources as they have been doing in ever-increasing numbers. This is all just part of the changing landscape of sports coverage and fan empowerment.

Regarding the bolded part,,,,,wouldn't that be a breach of contract? The deal was signed by the Habs and TSN 990,,,not with Bell or CJAD, an AM station.

Btw BCH, it's Bell Media who is shutting it down, not TSN. So I don't see how the CRTC has anything to do with it. There is the whole rule about not owning 3 radio stations in 1 language (which is why they have to convert it to french), I still don't know why all of a sudden it's an issue. I'd have to research a lil to see when Bell Media took over.

Well the problem is because Bell is buying Astral, which owns radio stations like CJAD and I think Virgin Radio so it will put Bell over the limit for number of English stations owned in Montreal, rather than simply closing TSN990, they can convert it to French and keep all their properties (I believe). Of all the English radio stations Bell will now own, TSN990 is the least listened to so while it sucks, it was probably the most logical move.

Bell will still own the English rights for the Habs and they'll just go back on CJAD apparently. I also wouldn't be surprised if CJAD added a little more sports content, it would never go all sports, obviously but maybe they take Melnick over and have 1 sports block daily as well as Habs pre and post game?