The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What's The Most Likely Next Canadian Stanley Cup Champion? (Other than Canadiens)

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's The Most Likely Next Canadian Stanley Cup Champion? (Other than Canadiens)

• Canucks
    • Flames
    • Jets
    • Leafs
    • Oilers
    • Senators

Given the young talent on the Oilers, I think they have the best chance of bringing the cup back to Canada. I feel the nucks chances came and went.

Given the age of the Oil, I don't think it'll happen for a few years. It hasn't happened yet in Edmonton, but it will eventually click and when it does...

Habs, Sens, Flames, Jets and nucks have a lot of work to do. Oil do have some holes, but for raw talent they take the cake. Just have to be patient and wait for their young players to mature.

I can't answer that question becauseI have said since '93 that Habs would be next Canadian team to win cup. Haven't been wrong yet. Four teams have tried and failed. Thing about Habs is they usually win if in the finals.

Oilers have no D and no Goaltending. They can have as much talented forwards as they want but until they get some help at those 2 positions I don't see them anywhere near the Cup. I say Habs lol but since that's not an option I'll just say Nucks.

Oilers have no D and no Goaltending. They can have as much talented forwards as they want but until they get some help at those 2 positions I don't see them anywhere near the Cup. I say Habs lol but since that's not an option I'll just say Nucks.

the oilers may not have top 2 dmen on their current roster but they do have them coming up in their system, oscar klefbom has top 2 potential and so does martin marincin. even justin schultz could be a top 2 dman. the oilers also have whl goaltender of the year in tyler bunz in their system. ladislav smid, ryan whitney, jeff petry and nick schultz are all top 4 d. its just the constant starting of khabibulin is what gets the oilers the lottery picks. of course injuries doesnt help either.

they dont have a cup contending roster yet but they will in 2-3 years.

Vancouver's window is going to be closing soon, IMO. They have not been able to get it done, and I'm not sure Schneider is going to be everyone's favorite goaltender once he has to play more than 40 games in the regular season AND the play-offs. Vancouver had the best chance in recent years, but has failed to accomplish their ultimate goal.

Since Edmonton has seemingly so much elite talent at the forward position it's hard not to imagine them competing for the Cup in a few seasons. Maybe not this year, but I'm positive very soon they will be fighting for top spot in the league. Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, and a handful of other guys who may became impact forwards as well. Once the goaltending situation is fixed I'm sure they're going to be tough.

I would say the least likely is betwen the Jets and Flames.

I believe the Flames have the worst chance.

Tending may be an issue, as far as dmen are concerned the Oilers are so deep up front that they could acquire one or two dmen fairly easily. Also, with the depth they have in their top 6, they may be able to lure FA dmen looking for an true cup contender. If I was about 27 and a dman entering free agency, looking at the oil, I'd seriously consider them. At 27, you're at your peek and can afford a few years until the team matures and fill holes. Once they have the right pieces, it won't take long for them to make an honest run at the cup.

Who knows, like the kings this season an the Habs in 93 and 86, sometimes things just happen that open the doors to go all the way. I don't think anyone guessed this season that the cup finals would be devils/kings. Devils didn't even make the playoffs last season and this season they went to the finals-kings finished in 8th. If you can make it into the post season, anything can happen.

I picked the Oil as well. They have most of the pieces, but not all of the key ingredients. They still need a #1 premier goalie, and 2 top tier Ds, and those are hard to come by, so, I don't see it happening anytime soon, maybe in 5 years.

I still feel that the Habs will be the next team to win it all tho.

Vancouver's window is going to be closing soon, IMO. They have not been able to get it done, and I'm not sure Schneider is going to be everyone's favorite goaltender once he has to play more than 40 games in the regular season AND the play-offs. Vancouver had the best chance in recent years, but has failed to accomplish their ultimate goal.

Since Edmonton has seemingly so much elite talent at the forward position it's hard not to imagine them competing for the Cup in a few seasons. Maybe not this year, but I'm positive very soon they will be fighting for top spot in the league. Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, and a handful of other guys who may became impact forwards as well. Once the goaltending situation is fixed I'm sure they're going to be tough.

I believe the Flames have the worst chance.

I feel the same way about Vancouver. They had the team in 2011, but it was if they felt they had already won the cup 2 games into the series.

Schneider has done very well as a back up, but as you said, not sure how he'll fair once he's the #1 playing the majority of games.

Only time will tell.

I think the oil will do fine. Not easy acquiring an elite dman, but as previously suggested one entering his prime might want to be part of this talented, young and promising team. They may have finished in the basement again, but fans are really excited about the future and for good reason. With 3, 1st overall picks, they may be able to trade away one of their forwards for an elite tender. Eberle may not be a 1st overall pick, but I'm pretty sure if they put him on the block they'd get a lot of calls.

I'd take him in Montreal.

Guest archey

seriously. oilers have yet to prove they have the "grit" needed to win. and i'm looking specifically at hemsky. the rookie on the other hand has the tendency to go too far. kind of like PK tends to. it could be trouble. and i'm not all that convinced that they will ever have that easy a schedule-- or to put it another way..they're favored by the NHL? i don't think so..

Edmonton might not currently have the number 1 goaltender and top-tier, number 1 D, but I think they can probably acquire the necessary pieces with some savvy managing in the next two or three seasons. They have some interesting, young, EXPENDABLE talent like Linus Omark, Sam Gagner, and Magnus Paajarvi. Players that won't necessarily get you what you need on their own, but can be packaged with something else (a first rounder perhaps) in order to acquire what you need. If they're patient, there's also the free agent classes in the next few summers to look forward to. Some interesting free agent names in goal for next summer are Jimmy Howard, Mike Smith, and Kari Lehtonen. There's also a slew of older guys who will be available as well.

I voted Calgary, but that was a snap judgement pre thinking, In reality, I would probably pick Ottawa, they have the young pieces in place, the best up coming D out of the 6 teams listed and they have the goaltending. Lehner will be a stud.

I guess other than the canadiens the jets maybe?

They have some good young forwards in Little Kane and Burmistrov along with a good mix in from Ladd Wellwood Fehr etc.

A decent d core with some good guys in Enstrom and Bogosian as well as big buff.

And a very good-elite goalie in Pavelec.

Once they add in a few vet forwards and another top 4 d-man id say their in business. They do need some vets like I said especially in the bottom 6 from what I know (which isnt much on the jets). Otherwise their not that bad.

Their like the oilers if the oilers didnt just load up on one position.

That said as MUCH as it kills me to say it, Burke has done an alright job at building a decent team in Toronto. If the team would just get a decent front office in place and I dont think burke belongs there. Hes arrogant and stubborn and I feel thats why they have been managing their assets so poorly (at least in burkes tenure thats why, not just sheer stupidity like the past front offices). Their gambling on Reimer and hes not someone id just gamble on and toss into the starting position in a hotbed like that, hes not like Price who was a top 5 pick and had done alot before becoming the starter (even then he had to kick out Huet who was still playing half decent). As well as Kadri whos being mismanaged brutally. That being said their deep in alot of areas and I think like the jets they just need some guys with playoff experience. If Toronto ever does make the playoffs theyll be out in 4 games IMO. Lucky to even score. They have virtually no playoff experience on that roster.

I guess other than the canadiens the jets maybe?

They have some good young forwards in Little Kane and Burmistrov along with a good mix in from Ladd Wellwood Fehr etc.

A decent d core with some good guys in Enstrom and Bogosian as well as big buff.

And a very good-elite goalie in Pavelec.

Once they add in a few vet forwards and another top 4 d-man id say their in business. They do need some vets like I said especially in the bottom 6 from what I know (which isnt much on the jets). Otherwise their not that bad.

I agree with some of your assessment of the Jets. I disagree with other parts.

They do have some interesting forwards in Evander Kane, Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little, and Alexander Burmistrov, but I don't think these players are in a position to push Winnipeg over the top playing alongside veterans like Andrew Ladd, Olli Jokinen, Alexei Ponikarovsky, and Nik Antropov. Winnipeg also seems like a team that have a self-imposed cap and Kane remains unsigned while Little, Burmistrov, and Wheeler all need new contracts next season. How will Winnipeg's management handle this situation?

On defense I have a similar concern about Tobias Enstrom. UFA next season. Bogosian is RFA. In a city as frigid cold in winter like Winnipeg and a team that doesn't spend as much money as other teams, will they be able to keep these players who will be essential to their long-term success?

I really don't agree that Pavelic is a "good-elite" goaltender.

I agree with some of your assessment of the Jets. I disagree with other parts.

They do have some interesting forwards in Evander Kane, Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little, and Alexander Burmistrov, but I don't think these players are in a position to push Winnipeg over the top playing alongside veterans like Andrew Ladd, Olli Jokinen, Alexei Ponikarovsky, and Nik Antropov. Winnipeg also seems like a team that have a self-imposed cap and Kane remains unsigned while Little, Burmistrov, and Wheeler all need new contracts next season. How will Winnipeg's management handle this situation?

On defense I have a similar concern about Tobias Enstrom. UFA next season. Bogosian is RFA. In a city as frigid cold in winter like Winnipeg and a team that doesn't spend as much money as other teams, will they be able to keep these players who will be essential to their long-term success?

I really don't agree that Pavelic is a "good-elite" goaltender.

For some reason I thought Enstrom was alot younger.

As for pavelec im not sure, he shows real good stretches and then at times can be average. Elite may be far off but Id definitely take him in our crease over ALOT of other goaltenders.

For some reason I thought Enstrom was alot younger.

As for pavelec im not sure, he shows real good stretches and then at times can be average. Elite may be far off but Id definitely take him in our crease over ALOT of other goaltenders.

Winnipeg just resigned Enstrom to an extension so I guess he's around for the next few years. Good sign for Winnipeg fans!

• 2 months later...

I voted Edmonton Oilers!

Strenght:

- Very strong young offense (Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-hopkins, Jordan Eberle)

- Back end prospects are both high end and have lot's of depth. (Justin Schultz, Oscar Klefbom, David Musil,

Martin Marincin)

Weakness:

Current grit on offense and defense

Lack of elite goalie prospect Olivier Roy? Tyler Bunz? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Its really hard to say but I'd have to go with Oilers. The core of young guns on the Edmonton team is unreal. Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Dubnyk, Yakupov, Pajaarvi, and Shultz all have a chance to become the top players in the NHL. I live near Edmonton so I get to see a lot of games and the real heart of the team is Sam Gagner, works so hard on every shift and last season he finally got some pay back for it with the ridiculous game. So I am going with the Oilers, if I'm not aloud to choose the Habs.