The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Charles Hudon

FirstStar

Thought I'd create a quick thread for this kid. Saw all 4 Canada/Russia games. Only habs prospect to play in the tourny. With the way he played in the tourny, there's little doubt that'll he'll be back for the WJC in December.

My only issue... He's another small winger. We already have Gallagher in the WHL and Bournival in the Q. All 3 of them are skilled players who lack size and that could be the difference between making the NHL and not.

Hudon was an exciting kid to watch, worked the corners well and was dangerous around the Russian net. Can't wait to see more of him in December.

Thought I'd create a quick thread for this kid. Saw all 4 Canada/Russia games. Only habs prospect to play in the tourny. With the way he played in the tourny, there's little doubt that'll he'll be back for the WJC in December.

My only issue... He's another small winger. We already have Gallagher in the WHL and Bournival in the Q. All 3 of them are skilled players who lack size and that could be the difference between making the NHL and not.

Hudon was an exciting kid to watch, worked the corners well and was dangerous around the Russian net. Can't wait to see more of him in December.

Agreed and sure he is small but If he has the skill to make the league than that is no problem. Sure we have other small players but if we surround them with the right players, it can really give us an advantage.

I watched all four games of the series, just to see what Hudon might have to offer the Habs one day, and I have to say I was quite impressed. By no means am I experienced at judging talent, but I have to say this guy has a very tantalizing package of skills. I expected him to play small minutes, without time on the PP or PK. He ended up playing decent minutes (obviously behind blue-ship prospects Huberdeau, Schiefle, Rattie, Strome, etc) but he also manned the 2nd PP unit, and spent significant time on the PK - of which he looked VERY good defensively. Without being one of the top names, Hudon definitely impressed me the most outside of perhaps 2013 draft prospect Monahan.

Hudon was very creative with the puck (excellent EXCELLENT vision and very quick agile hands), although he will need to work on his shot and his skating needs a lot of work (but it was the same with Gallagher before him). Although 5`11 is smaller (its not tiny, we need to remember) he was difficult to knock of the puck, and he battled hard along the boards. With some bulking up, I dont really see his size being an issue, considering his offensive (and seemingly defensive) abilities.

4 games is a very small sample size, and its a long difficult road to the NHL, but I think this kid has a shot.

I watched all four games of the series, just to see what Hudon might have to offer the Habs one day, and I have to say I was quite impressed. By no means am I experienced at judging talent, but I have to say this guy has a very tantalizing package of skills. I expected him to play small minutes, without time on the PP or PK. He ended up playing decent minutes (obviously behind blue-ship prospects Huberdeau, Schiefle, Rattie, Strome, etc) but he also manned the 2nd PP unit, and spent significant time on the PK - of which he looked VERY good defensively. Without being one of the top names, Hudon definitely impressed me the most outside of perhaps 2013 draft prospect Monahan.

Hudon was very creative with the puck (excellent EXCELLENT vision and very quick agile hands), although he will need to work on his shot and his skating needs a lot of work (but it was the same with Gallagher before him). Although 5`11 is smaller (its not tiny, we need to remember) he was difficult to knock of the puck, and he battled hard along the boards. With some bulking up, I dont really see his size being an issue, considering his offensive (and seemingly defensive) abilities.

4 games is a very small sample size, and its a long difficult road to the NHL, but I think this kid has a shot.

Another year of JR. and a year or 2 in Hamilton, and he might make 6'0, and 180-185#. I really don't care as much for size, as much as I care about "desire to win". I want players who will "go to the wall" to win. I want them to "bring it" EVERY game. If they do,,,,then that's all I can ask for.

Another year of JR. and a year or 2 in Hamilton, and he might make 6'0, and 180-185#. I really don't care as much for size, as much as I care about "desire to win". I want players who will "go to the wall" to win. I want them to "bring it" EVERY game. If they do,,,,then that's all I can ask for.

Guys like Gio and St Louis have shown that it isn't the size of the player, but the size of his heart.

Yes, small players can succeed and have in the NHL. Thing is, you have to spread them out. We just saw over the last 3 seasons the problems a small team faces.

I don't see Gallagher, Bounival and Hudon playing together on the habs at the same time. Unless they're all on different lines. I think it'll come down to one of them making it and the other 2 looking for employment elsewhere.

I doubt that Gio will still be around when these guys are ready to make the jump, but we still have DD. As skilled as they are, I don't see Hudon, Gallagher and DD on one line.

I really liked what I saw from Hudon in the Canada/Russia series and can't wait to see more of him at the WJC in December/January.

Poor kids, they have so much talent and could probably play in the NHL. But with small players already occupying our top 6, I don't know if we'll ever see them playing in the NHL in a habs jersey. May have to trade them away to give them a chance to crack another teams line up.

Bournival, if he makes it will probably be a 3rd liner. I see it coming down to Gallagher and Hudon.

Sucks cos I like both of those players. I'm not being biased, I like the small players. Naslund was my favorite player in the 80's, have been on here many times defending Gio. But the reality is, there's only so much room for small players.

Both Hudon and Gallagher play big despite their stature. I hope they prove everyone wrong and have long careers in the NHL, like St Louis and Gio.

• 1 month later...

Anyone that watched Charles play for the juniors could see the talent and when you consider other players of small stature that are stars in the NHL,Hudon has all of the attributes necessary.The 2012 Entry Draft will be remembered as one of the best in Habs history.Hudon will join Brendan Gallagher as another great 5th round pick by Timmins,the Head Scout for the Habs.The only thing that's holding the Habs back from more Stanley Cup glory is time,time enough for these great draft picks to mature and take their positions beside the young core of greats leading the way.I can barely stand the wait after almost twenty years of futility,but watching all the talent in the pipeline I'm finding my patience will be rewarded soon.Go Charles Go!

• 4 weeks later...

Read his bio he's small and not the best skater.. but drives to the net.. I guess it would be wise for him to gain weight but not lose any foot speed.. someone stated bourinval as being a winger... out of those three names that were mentioned i dare say he has the best chance at making the habs and staying due to his heritage and the fact that he can play center and win. Also bigger then gallager faster then hudon and a two way center.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

L.A. Lariviere @L_A_theRiver 4h

Habs prospect Charles Hudon's season isn't over just yet. He'll report to @BulldogsAHL down south.

Hudon has been rather busy this season, and he is not stopping just yet. He will suit up for the dogs for the remainder of the season. I really like how Bergevin is attributing much mportance to the development of our prospects thus far!

all these pro tryout contracts and trial games with the habs are going to give the youngsters the experience to succeed.

Habs I/O:

the Bulldogs have signed forward Charles Hudon to an amateur tryout contract. The 18-year-old played 56 games with the QMJHL’s Chicoutimi Sagueneens this season, posting 30-41-71 totals and a plus-15 in 56 games. The 5-foot-11, 170-pounder was selected by the Canadiens in the fifth round (122nd overall) of the 2012 NHL entry draft.

Archived