The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Greatest Band Ever!

Guest habs1952

I tend to approach music more from an album standpoint as opposed to looking at entire catalogs. For the sake of this post, I'll name a few musicians whose general philosophy and/or approach to creation I like, even if there's been some pitiful products now and again. With that being said (limiting this to "rock" only): Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, The Band.

Guest habs1952

IMO

Chuck Berry,,,single

Everley Brothers,,,,duet

Beach Boys,,,,band

I didn't mean you had to pick one of each, only that the greatest band can be either a band, a solo act or a duet.

Wow, this is a really hard question to answer.

As for Solo acts, even though I don't like him and never really liked his music... It has to go to Michael Jackson.

Best pop band, has to be the Beatles.

Best rock band, Led Zep

Best punk band, The Ramones

Best metal band, Black Sabbath, metal solo act, Ozzy Osbourne.

All my answers are based on success, longevity, influence and overall fame.

Then you have the present... I don't think it's fair to call a band the best when they're on top at the moment. They may be really successful, but for a short period of time. Take Nirvana, they hit the scene like a bomb. Then died out after their 2nd Geffen release... Oh yeah, doesn't help when the lead member dies.

I'd like to take a band or a soloist and base their performance and popularity after their playing days are over. It's one thing to reach the top, it's another to stay there and have kids still listening to your music, wearing your T-Shirts and buying your CD's 20 years after the fact.

I tend to approach music more from an album standpoint as opposed to looking at entire catalogs. For the sake of this post, I'll name a few musicians whose general philosophy and/or approach to creation I like, even if there's been some pitiful products now and again. With that being said (limiting this to "rock" only): Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, The Band.

There's another way of looking at it. Amongst musicians, Zappa is probably the most popular and probably one the most respected musician. But on the open circuit, he didn't really have many hits.

Tom Waits, now he's in a class of his own.

Then you have the grateful dead who have (or had) one of the biggest cult followings ever. They were known for their live shows, the atmosphere at their live shows, not for studio albums.

There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to music.

There's another way of looking at it. Amongst musicians, Zappa is probably the most popular and probably one the most respected musician. But on the open circuit, he didn't really have many hits.

Tom Waits, now he's in a class of his own.

Then you have the grateful dead who have (or had) one of the biggest cult followings ever. They were known for their live shows, the atmosphere at their live shows, not for studio albums.

There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to music.

Your last line brings up an idea close to my heart. I'm a teacher and I try and get the same idea across when it comes to reading. And speaking of the Dead, the recording of "Dark Star" from Live/Dead is out of this world.

There are other musicians and composers I enjoy, some more than a few I listed, but I was trying to limit the playing field to what could be considered rock music.

• 2 weeks later...

These are my all-time faves:

Band - who else?

No American band has their track record or versatility. Chicago had only one major rival in their heyday, Led Zeppelin. Others who came close were The Eagles, Doobie Brothers and The Beach Boys. Chicago has been ranked 13th overall by Billboard in their Top 100 artists all-time. Among the bands, only The Bee Gees, Paul McCartney & Wings, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles rank ahead of them.

Source: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/specials/hot100/charts/top100-artists-20.shtml

Solo artist - who else, and could she ever sing. This is her last TV appearance prior to her illness and death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VTFKvsGXDg

Her seminal 1969 album Dusty In Memphis has been ranked by Rolling Stone Magazine as the third best album ever by a female singer. This features Son Of A Preacher Man.

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/women-who-rock-the-50-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120622/dusty-springfield-dusty-in-memphis-19691231

And there hasn't been a song type or musical genre that neither Chicago or Dusty Springfield could handle.

Chicago forever changed the way horns are used in rock, and their early albums are considered among the finest in progressive, jazz-fusion, pop, and rock. Even though they now do a lot of ballads, they can still cut loose with a gem. What they did that was so earth-shattering was integrating a horn section with a rhythm and vocal section. Prior to them coming along, horns were used to punctuate or dominate the music. Nobody out there today is daring to touch much of the music they created. That's how original and unique it is. And of course, it doesn't hurt to have the likes of Peter Cetera, Robert Lamm, Terry Kath and Jim Pankow in your legacy. The original Chicago lineup was as great as it gets this side of the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

Dusty Springfield is considered the inventor of the blue-eyed soul singer, and she covered everything from soul to jazz to pop to rock. She was equally as comfortable doing a breathy love song like "The Look Of Love" - she was the original singer of the Hal David-Burt Bacharach classic, to a fiery soul song.

STONES RULE! B)

• 11 months later...

beatlesed.jpg

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" was written on October 16, 1963, and recorded the next day. Within two months, it would be firmly entrenched at No. 1 in Britain and starting to get a little bit of radio play across the pond.

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/want-hold-hand-turns-50-half-century-hand-171236686.html

Archived