The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013 Supplementary discipline hearings

Didn't Cooke try to clean up his game? I'd read that in an article about Torres today, how Torres appeared to be trying to do the same.

I haven't looked a lot at the hit but if he hit him in the head, he needs to go. I don't care how long. If Shanahan can at least be consistent in suspending every headshot, that's a step towards getting rid of this stuff.

Nova Scotia just banned bodychecking at the pee wee level. If the search for player safety starts at the grass roots level, it's only a matter of time.

Fingers crossed.

Have to admit he's better (cooke), not as many cheapshots, elbows to head, blindiside hits. But that little grin he was holding back while expressing concern over Karlsson's injury really rubbed me the wrong way, almost gave me the impression he knew what he was doing when he clipped Karlsson in the ankle. I've felt more sincerity from a billboard than i did from Cooke.

i watch hockey for the skill, big bruising hits, the speed and most fans do as well. So even if it may not be one of our stars, it really bothers me when a 3rd/4th liner, who probably wouldn't be in the league if it was not for the last expansion, injures a star player with a dirty play or cheapshot.

Wear him down, get into the skilled players head, throw him off his game by catching him with a clean body check, but don't elbow him in the temple, don't knock him into the boards when the player is 5 feet away. There's no honour in injuring a player who's in a vulnerable position.

In 2010 when we rode Halak deep into the post season, Gill shadowed Sid like he was stuck to him. For most of that series Gill (a much less skilled player) was able to get Sid off his game and for the most part contain him. He didn't have to knock him into next week and I'm sure with the way he shadowed him, Gill had opportunity to lay a cheapshot and knock him out of the series.

Guest habs1952

What an inane suspension given to Torres. 4, 5 or 6 games? Isn't that kind of wishy washy? Not enough in my books, shoulda been the playoffs.

What an inane suspension given to Torres. 4, 5 or 6 games? Isn't that kind of wishy washy? Not enough in my books, shoulda been the playoffs.

On the bright side, Torres is not appealing his suspension. On the other hand, San Jose might be out of the playoffs after their series with the Kings.

The Torres hit is comparable to Gryba IMO because of the fact that the hit itself wasn't the problem, but the placement. Both hitters decided to go for a hit up high when a body hit would have been just as effective and much more safe. Throw in the repeat offender, and the suspension is actually pretty fair IMO. Torres didn't look like he intentionally targeted Stoll's head to me, so I can see why this one isn't as long as the last one.

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago Blackhawks star defenceman Duncan Keith has an appointment with National Hockey League officials today over his high stick to the face of Los Angeles Kings forward Jeff Carter during Game 3 of the NHL Western Conference Final on Tuesday night in Los Angeles.

Full story here:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Blackhawks+Duncan+Keith+faces+hearing/8483455/story.html

Chicago Blackhawks star defenceman Duncan Keith has an appointment with National Hockey League officials today over his high stick to the face of Los Angeles Kings forward Jeff Carter during Game 3 of the NHL Western Conference Final on Tuesday night in Los Angeles.

Full story here:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Blackhawks+Duncan+Keith+faces+hearing/8483455/story.html

Keith was handed a one game suspension.

Guest habs1952

"This is more serious than a case of a player simply having to be responsible for his stick," NHL senior vice president of player safety Brendan Shanahan said in announcing the suspension Wednesday. "It is not an accidental high-stick, nor is it a defensive high-stick to an opponent. This is a retaliatory high-stick to an opponent that causes an injury."

Then please explain to me, Shanny, why you handed out a single game suspension.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Bruins know that they will have defenseman Johnny Boychuk available after the NHL looked into his hit against Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews and decided against holding a hearing.

Boychuk didn't leave his feet on the hit and Toews' head wasn't the principal point of contact."

"The Bruins know that they will have defenseman Johnny Boychuk available after the NHL looked into his hit against Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews and decided against holding a hearing.

Boychuk didn't leave his feet on the hit and Toews' head wasn't the principal point of contact."

Was it any surprise no suspension was handed out in this case?