The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Playoffs

kinot-1

Which Do You Prefer. Conference Or Legue Wide?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. In the POs, would you prefer a legued wide PO system, or a EC/WC POs?

• East/West confernece POs, 1 vs 8th in each conference
    • League wide POs, 1 vs 16th?

Here's what I am getting at. As it is now, in the east/west, they play for the conference finals. What, (in your opinion), is the best way of knowing which teams, are entitled to "fight" for the Stanley Cup? Do you feel that the EC champions (1st vs 8th, etc.) vs the WC champions (1st vs 8th, etc.) is the way to go, or is it the league-wide teams (1st vs 16th, 2nd vs 15th etc.) that are eligible to compete for the holy-grail?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love the playoff system now. I think getting away from a 16-team, 4 round format is a mistake. Changing between league-wide and conference wouldn't make a huge difference, IMO.

I think a league-wide is more fair, but I don't think the teams in the East would go for it. So much more travel for them. It would also make it more difficult for upsets in theory, because the 16 seed could have to beat #1,#2,#3,and #4. That said, the difference between 1 and 16 is not near as big as it used to be.

It's set up this way to take advantage of any existing rivalries. A Boston vs Habs series would obviously draw more interest then Habs vs Nashville for example.

The League wants to take advantage of those possible match ups. It might not be as important to successful franchises who will fill their buildings regardless of the opponent, but that doesn't hold true for other markets.

Guest habs1952

East - West, mainly because of the traveling some teams may have to endure if it was 1 -16. The rivalries built up within a conference over the season/years gives us great hockey to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

East - West, mainly because of the traveling some teams may have to endure if it was 1 -16. The rivalries built up within a conference over the season/years gives us great hockey to boot.

To be fair, I would honestly rather watch playoff series like

Habs Preds

Habs Wings

Habs Blues

Habs Avalanche

than a habs ottawa/florida/tampa series

It's set up this way to take advantage of any existing rivalries. A Boston vs Habs series would obviously draw more interest

Habs vs Leafs ? :rolleyes:...oh come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn lol