The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-2013 Habs Injury Thread

wmarcello

There has definitely been some injury activity as of late, so I figured I'd create the thread.

RDS recap of last night, showing each of the four incidents (Gallagher, Patches, Emelin, Armstrong).

http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9o/flyers-1-canadien-4-1.585966

And, according to Renaud Lavoie, Pacioretty did suffer a cut in his rib area.

I guess there's no way to avoid this thread. We figured that if no one created it that no one would get hurt. Guess that didn't work :lol:

figured that if no one created it that no one would get hurt. Guess that didn't work :lol:

lol...our habs has a hex hovering over us yr after yr.................that being said though no comfort to us,injury bug hitting many teams through out the league at this time,

So quick update on the 4 from last night. Looks like Gallagher is the worst off.

From Dave Stubbs:

From Brossard colleagues: #Habs Pacioretty, Emelin skating. No Price or Gallagher; no Subban, flu-like symptoms

From John Lu:

#Habs have no update to give on Gallagher's upper body injury at this time. Armstrong practising. Price and Subban both missing (flu).

After watching the replay on Gallagher a few times, it didn't look like he was holding any part of his body when he went down. Where it's an upper body injury with no obvious sign of pain, I'm thinking concussion?

Also, I'm a little surprised that Schenn and/or

didn't get at least a call from the league for their hits.

Video of the Schenn hit on Gallagher:

I'm not surprised... it was, it would appear, acceptable in terms of NHL standards which begs the question... what is the real deal on player safety anyways?

Calling pucks over-the-glass even if accidental carries more weight to the powers that be and the non-official officials :(

Guest habs1952

I guess there's no way to avoid this thread. We figured that if no one created it that no one would get hurt. Guess that didn't work :lol:

Yeah....but since this thread is now open I can see the injuries starting to pile up. This thread is gonna be a jinx on the team. :lol:

Guest habs1952

After watching the replay on Gallagher a few times, it didn't look like he was holding any part of his body when he went down. Where it's an upper body injury with no obvious sign of pain, I'm thinking concussion?

Schenn hit Gallagher from behind. Suspension worthy. But wait....a Hab got injured...no call. :angry:

Guest habs1952

The Moen hit was as (or close to as) dangerous.

Looking at the replay Moen hit the Philly player from the side and it appears the Philly player puts himself in a vulnerable position.

Yeah....but since this thread is now open I can see the injuries starting to pile up. This thread is gonna be a jinx on the team.

Objective: close this thread by mid week this week :P

I don't even know if we're allowed to mention Pacioretty's name in this thread. He makes very brief appearances only. Too bad for Gallagher but not really a surprise from the way he reacted to the hit. I agree that Moen's hit was just as bad, and the refs missed both (or chose to ignore them). As I said in the GDT, the NHL has spent all kinds of effort trying to cut down on interference and as a result, the refs nitpick about very borderline calls. But they miss or ignore all sorts of hits from behind, head shots, high sticks, and knee-on-knee shots. These are the types of plays the league needs to get out of the game, yet they lack any kind of reliable focus on cracking down on this. In any case, I think Moen and Schenn both deserve a one game suspension. You can make an argument Schenn should get more because of the result (i.e. Gallagher being out with a concussion), since the league seems to factor that into its decisions. But to me, the hits are equally bad and the punishment should be mainly based on the action, not the result. Hopefully, Gallagher makes it back into the line-up soon.

Somebody found the courage to open this sucker i see. None of the mods wanted anything to do with it. We were hoping nobody would notice. :P :P

As for Pacman,,,,i'm surprised the cut didn't heal on his way to the change room. :lol:

I don't even know if we're allowed to mention Pacioretty's name in this thread. He makes very brief appearances only. Too bad for Gallagher but not really a surprise from the way he reacted to the hit. I agree that Moen's hit was just as bad, and the refs missed both (or chose to ignore them). As I said in the GDT, the NHL has spent all kinds of effort trying to cut down on interference and as a result, the refs nitpick about very borderline calls. But they miss or ignore all sorts of hits from behind, head shots, high sticks, and knee-on-knee shots. These are the types of plays the league needs to get out of the game, yet they lack any kind of reliable focus on cracking down on this. In any case, I think Moen and Schenn both deserve a one game suspension. You can make an argument Schenn should get more because of the result (i.e. Gallagher being out with a concussion), since the league seems to factor that into its decisions. But to me, the hits are equally bad and the punishment should be mainly based on the action, not the result. Hopefully, Gallagher makes it back into the line-up soon.

I've considered starting a separate Pacioretty injury thread where we would basically just discuss ideas for potential scientific advancements if we're able to synthesize his blood.

Archived