The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #16 | Canadiens @ Rangers | Tue 19 Feb 2013 7:00 PM | RDS TSN-Habs

ColRouleBleu

nyr-header_zps3f5f37bd.png

TEAMSTATS_zps8d1f13e9.png

nyr-goalies_zps9bf13589.png

nyr-leaders_zps7ccef9c2.png

New York Rangers coach John Tortorella has been delighted with the production from the line of Carl Hagelin, Derek Stepan and Rick Nash, which has helped key their recent surge.

The trio may face a tough challenge, though, against a recently stingy Montreal Canadiens defense Tuesday night.

New York seeks its fourth straight home win over Montreal, which is looking to extend its winning streak to five games.

After a slow start, the Rangers (8-5-1) have elevated their play and gone 4-0-1 over their last five following a 2-1 win over Washington on Sunday.

Stepan scored the game-winner on the power play in the third period after Hagelin tied it in the second with help from Nash's assist. Tortorella said Stepan is playing his best hockey and also lauded the recent efforts of Hagelin, who has five goals and two assists over his last four games.

"He creates a ton of offense for us," Tortorella said of Hagelin, who had only a goal and an assist over his first 10 games. "He's been really good with (Stepan) and (Nash). It's been a pretty good line."

Stepan credits his success to playing with Hagelin and Nash, who has a goal and four assists during a four-game point streak.

"I have two wingers who are dynamic players," Stepan said. "I'm just doing whatever I can to anchor the middle of them.

"Our line seems to be clicking well and we just need to keep working."

Nash, who has scored at least 30 goals in five straight seasons, hasn't put up the goal-scoring numbers he'd like with only three total, though he's more than pleased the rest of his line is picking up the slack.

''They're not going in, but I'm getting the chances,'' Nash said. "The exciting thing is Carl is putting them in."

Stepan has five assists in his last four games versus Montreal, which has played stellar defense and gotten solid goaltending of late.

The Canadiens (10-4-1) blanked Carolina 3-0 on Monday and have outscored opponents 8-1 over their last three. Peter Budaj made his second straight start as Carey Price recovers from the flu and finished with 19 saves, marking the second straight game they've allowed a season-low 19 shots.

Tomas Plekanec and Max Pacioretty scored 18 seconds part in the third period for Montreal, which hasn't won five straight since Feb. 26-March 8, 2011.

''We're starting to feel more and more comfortable about playing those tight games. It's a great sign,'' coach Michel Therrien said. ''It's good for the confidence of the team, of the players. Good teams start to feel comfortable in those games. I don't see any panic. Guys are sticking to the plan.''

Former Ranger Brandon Prust, who scored Montreal's first goal Monday, is returning to Madison Square Garden for the first time since signing a four-year contract with the Canadiens in the offseason.

"He's (just) a guy in a Montreal uniform," Tortorella said.

The Canadiens have won seven of the last 10 meetings, though the defeats in that stretch have come in the last three matchups in New York. Price, who made 26 saves in a 1-0 overtime win at Florida on Thursday to improve to 8-3-0 with a 2.06 goals-against average, could return Tuesday.

He's just 1-3-0 with a 3.95 GAA in his last four starts versus the Rangers, but Henrik Lundqvist is only 3-5-0 with a 2.99 GAA over his last eight starts against Montreal.

Lundqvist, though, has won each of his last four starts while posting a 1.47 GAA.

nyr-lineup_zps1ac6d383.png

Very pretty GDT, CRB. Love the stylish Statue of Liberty. Thanks for having it up so promptly.

Not sure what to expect from tonight. A rested Rangers who seem to be finding their footing versus a potentially weary Habs Team.

The NE division is fairly tight. With the Leafs hot and Boston holding 2 games in hand, we need to keep pace.

Go Habs Go! Keep the streak alive.

It's five years today,since I watched that game

Since that day my life has never been the same

I watched the HABS come back, from so far behind

The way they played, they blew my mind

Of course we have different players now

But we can still show the Rangers how

To play a game of speed and skill

Just need to keep up our penalty kill

We are still on a high from a shut out last night

So our HABS know how to do it right

We have to keep that adraline flowing

And keep our fatigue from showing

We need another win today

If the Laffs get past us there will be hell to pay

So come on guys,you have to give everything

So our Ole song we can sing.

Poor offering but I couldn't pass this one up, great GDT.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

It's 5 years to the day when we scored 5 in the third to beat the Rags,I wasn't interested in hockey before that,it's strange what one game can do and if it wasn't for that game I would never have been on here and made all the friends I have.

303415_orig.jpg.......GDT CRB ;)

SUPERB GDT, CRB. I wonder if a GDT made by a Mod, carries more weight? :lol::rolleyes:

So come on guys,you have to give everything

So our Ole song we can sing.

Poor offering but I couldn't pass this one up, great GDT.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

It's 5 years to the day when we scored 5 in the third to beat the Rags,I wasn't interested in hockey before that,it's strange what one game can do and if it wasn't for that game I would never have been on here and made all the friends I have.

Excellant poem, Maddie,,I hope it's a good omen. :)

GO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifbrandonprust_2253-218x150.jpgGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gif

Drop the puckkkkkkkkkkkkk

557968_617243498291967_876560295_n.jpg

Price, who made 26 saves in a 1-0 overtime win at Florida on Thursday to improve to 8-3-0 with a 2.06 goals-against average, could return Tuesday.

Anyone hear if he's a definite go tonight?

Saw a few people mention Price will be starting as well

I have tried to find it on-line as confirmed,but no go........but he looked well there last night on the bench lol

Nash out tonight as per Brooksie,

helps the cause :D

TSN radio states that Carey has the start.

and there it is :rolleyes:.....thank u

GO PRICE!

Am I the only one that finds it extremely annoying that this game is blacked out in Alberta? I pay 49.99 for NHL gamecenter, I have RDS at home for 40 per year. I'm at work, staying in camp, we have nhl Center ice and still, the game is not available. Will have to resort to finding it somewhere on the net illegally or simply listen to the game (boo). Come on NHL this is a disgrace.

GO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gif