The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #15 | Montreal Vs Carolina | 18 February 2013 7:30pm EST

beaubie

t9xn29.png

2edobgz.png

2mgpidx.png

281v448.png

Last 10: Montreal 6-3-1, Carolina 7-2-1.

Season Series

This is the first of three meetings. Both the Canadiens and Hurricanes posted identical 2-1-1 records against each other last season.

Big Story

When the schedule for the 2012-13 season came out, this matchup would hardly have been considered a potential battle between Eastern Conference powers. But strong starts by both have made it just that, with the Canadiens and Hurricanes riding three-game win streaks. But they are both missing big pieces for this game, with Canadiens goaltender Carey Price dressing as a backup as he recovers from the flu and Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner staying home in Raleigh with an upper-body injury.

Team Scope

Hurricanes

The Hurricanes are one of the top scoring teams in the NHL, sitting sixth in the National Hockey League with 3.15 goals per game. But in a statistical oddity, no NHL team has scored fewer first period goals than the Hurricanes’ six through 13 games this season, while just one team has allowed fewer than the Canadiens’ seven through 14 games. So it would be safe to say the Hurricanes strongly risk entering the first intermission trailing, or at best tied. They've only led after one period once all season. That could prove costly in this game, as the Canadiens are a perfect 7-0-0 when leading after one period this season.

In the absence of Skinner, Jussi Jokinen could be called upon to grab his usual spot to the left of Jordan Staal on coach Kirk Muller’s second line, seriously hurting the balance among the Hurricanes forwards.

Canadiens

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien spent a large part of his time with the media following practice Sunday providing injury updates, and this is the first time this season his club has had to deal with that inevitability.

Rookie forward Brendan Gallagher, off to a great start with five goals and three assists, will miss the game with a concussion suffered in the third period of Saturday night’s 4-1 win against the Philadelphia Flyers. But two other players to suffer injuries in that same period were at practice Sunday, and both Max Pacioretty and Alexei Emelin are expected to play Monday.

Gallagher’s absence should allow Ryan White to enter the lineup after being a healthy scratch for seven of the last eight games for some undisciplined play that greatly contributed to a couple of Canadiens losses.

Defenseman P.K. Subban also missed practice Sunday with a sore throat and his status for the game will be re-evaluated Monday.

Who’s Hot

For the Canadiens, center Tomas Plekanec has failed to register a point in just four games this season and he has three goals and two assists in his last six games. Plekanec’s left wing Rene Bourque has two goals and an assist in his last two games, while his right wing Brian Gionta has a goal and two assists in three games. … For the Hurricanes, center Eric Staal is riding an 11-game point streak, with eight goals and nine assists in that span. Four of those eight goals were game-winners, tying him with James Neal for the League-lead. His left wing Jiri Tlusty has five goals and two assists in his last four games. Jokinen has scored in each of his past two games.

Injury Report

Aside from Skinner, the Hurricanes should also be without defensemen Joni Pitkanen and Tim Gleason, who both missed the last game with lower body injuries, and neither player skated with the team Sunday…The Canadiens will be without Gallagher and Petteri Nokelainen, while Subban and Pacioretty will be re-evaluated Monday.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/blog.htm?id=261

Notes posted on Canadiens.com mention that Pacioretty and Subban are both expected to play. Eller may be playing wing with Desharnais and Pacioretty. Gallagher obviously out. Ryan White back in the lineup after being out for four games (hopefully he doesn't get penalized this game :rolleyes: ).

Thanks guys :)

Kinot, that must mean nhl.com is wrong too :lol: Where does it say they are in Montreal?

Looking forward to this game.

Also, I only realised now because I went to see the preview on the Habs website but I was surprised to see the fancy business they have done up for that page :blink:

I think all of us agree with the end of your post JR. I really hope he plays a good, solid game without doing something stupid.

Little apprehensive about tonight's game. Lot of banged up bodies and our back up in net vs a hot and well rested Canes team. Big test.

Nice job beaubie on your GDT. Keep the streak alive. ;)

Awesome GDT beaubie, hope it's a winner!

I second this

Thanks guys :)

Kinot, that must mean nhl.com is wrong too :lol: Where does it say they are in Montreal?

Also, I only realised now because I went to see the preview on the Habs website but I was surprised to see the fancy business they have done up for that page :blink:

I think all of us agree with the end of your post JR. I really hope he plays a good, solid game without doing something stupid.

:lol: I was surprised, too. Awesome thread as always, beaubie! ^_^

Little apprehensive about tonight's game. Lot of banged up bodies and our back up in net vs a hot and well rested Canes team. Big test.

Nice job beaubie on your GDT. Keep the streak alive. ;)

Carolina has a ton of injuries too, including Skinner. They're tough though.

GO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gif

Carolina has a ton of injuries too, including Skinner.

True...so we can't use this for an excuse....many teams are battling injuries

TSN,,,Yahoo Sports, and this one http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyweek.htm#?navid=nav-sch-main, all say that it is being played in Montreal, not that it matters, as we will win anyway. :D

I didn't even see that. I guess it is then :blink::lol: You're right though. Doesn't matter as long as it's a win!

Great job with the thread beaubie :)

on my ticket ;)

Thanks!

Evidence doesn't get any more solid than that :P

Enjoy the game!

GO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gif

21720_616647381684912_1796665095_n.jpg.......we can do this ;)

I was a little off with last game's prediction. I said 4-2 for the Habs but Budaj played better than expected. I expect that Therrien will have the guys very well prepared for this game as well. If the Habs keep playing the system like they have been then we should come out with the win. 5-3 is my prediction tonight for a Habs home win.

Carolina has a ton of injuries too, including Skinner. They're tough though.

Yeah, I was going to say that Carolina has some major injuries too. One thing Carolina has that we havent seen from most of our opposition thus far is one dominant line - which is good and bad. Shut them down & you have a very good chance of winning, but obviously they are much tougher to contain than most we've faced.

Eller to play RW, with DD, and Patches

Me Likey! I actually thought that RW was better suited to Eller than LW - if he's going to play a wing - to be honest. Hopefully he can generate something fast because i cant see Theirren leaving them together if they dont click right away. Its one of the things I think he could do better: If you're going to try different combinations then give them a real chance, not just a few shifts.

White comes back in the 4th line.

Good. I know he's back because of injury but I think the timing is fair too. I dont think he deserved to sit any longer than he has. Give him a chance to redeem himself. he has the skills to be an effective 4th liner as long as he isnt costing us points/games.

GO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gifGO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gif

Damm flu bug dry.gif

GO BUDAJ!