The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Possible Realignment would mean 4 divisions

kinot-1

The NHL is proposing a new realignment plan which would feature playoff wild-card spots plus see the league go from six divisions to four.

From ESPN today:

"The plan was detailed in an NHL memo sent to all 30 clubs Tuesday, which a team source leaked to ESPN.com.

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

The plan still needs approval from the NHL Players' Association plus the NHL's Board of Governors. The NHLPA and NHL have been working on these changes for the past three weeks."

Full article here:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8991414/nhl-realignment-proposal-adds-playoff-wild-cards-drops-league-4-divisions

And here, from CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/02/23/spf-nhl-hotstove-tonight-friedman-realignment.html

Ya, playoff system as proposed is pretty weird.

I think the "wildcard" idea is to help balance out having a weak division by allowing an extra team from the other division in your conference to make the playoffs instead. But is a bit confusing and doesn't solve the biggest problem: teams in the East having a 3.5% lower chance of making the playoffs compared to Western teams.

The plan would really work a lot better with 28 or 32 teams.

I don't mind the wildcard system. I don't like the idea of the 3 team guarantee and then wildcards. It should be no more then 2 guaranteed spots per IMO.

Guest habs1952

Western Conference

Pacific Division: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

Mid-West Division: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

Eastern Conference

Central Division: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

Atlantic Division: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

Boston and Columbus should be switching divisions, after all, isn't Boston right on the Atlantic coast?

Guest habs1952

I don't know, But they're probably in our division cause of the rivalry.

They're in our division because Jeremy Jacobs wants them there.

Well, tough division for us, but with a couple guaranteed visits to Detroit I'll get to see the Habs a couple times a year :)

So for mostly selfish reasons, thumbs up for me!

My feelings exactly :lol:

Boston and Columbus should be switching divisions, after all, isn't Boston right on the Atlantic coast?

Yes, but I think the other teams in their division would be a bigger draw than the teams they have now, which is a big deal for them. The fans paying to see Columbus lose would rather see them lose to Crosby and Nash than Plekanec/Price and Vanek/Miller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Next season's sked is ready but won't be released until it's official that NHL players will or will not participate in the olympics.

Today I read that there was a leaked hockey schedule from the Panthers. In it, was a 20 day gap from Feb. 7 to Feb. 27th. Not sure where I read it, but I'm pretty sure it was a reliable source.

It's official, 4 divisions instead of 6.

Wonder if they'll go back to the Patricks, Norris, Adams and smythe divisions?

I know a few old timers who'd feel a little nostalgic.

They already introduced the metropolitan, Atlantic, Central and Pacific divisions.

was really hoping to relive my childhood and go back to the tough Adams division. That was some good hockey and one of the toughest divisions.

Archived