The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week

BigTed3

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which injured player do the Habs miss the most?

I could say all of them as we miss all of them. I chose Brandon because of the energy & toughness he brings. He's not afraid to go into the dirty areas. Something we lacked tonight.

I think there's an argument there for all 3. That said, you do know that you voted for Diaz in the poll, right HRF?

We're definitely missing Diaz on the blueline, but having him in the line up would help our blueline, but he isn't a big body.

Even cole would be a welcome addition right now. A guy who can bang bodies, draw penalties and odd occasion, put the puck in the net.

For me, having either Bourque or Prust back would be a huge boost. When we traded cole for Ryder we were already without RB. Basically Ryder took RB's spot on the pleks line. With Prust in the line up we were managing, but with him going down and without Moen stepping up, we're getting pushed around. PK, Gallagher and even Gio have had trouble finding open ice and having to deal with a less skilled players pushing them around, getting in their faces and getting them off their games.

I'm not looking forward to facing the b's tonight or the leafs again, not without a few more big bodies in the line up. Last game leafs came out hitting and hitting us hard. They scored an early goal at the ACC and it looked like they were taking control of the game. Prust started playing his game, got in Phuffs face and we scored on the PP. We ended up turning the tables and won the game. We have no one right now to step up to these guys. Moen's been invisible since signiong his extension and Halpern is just not a big bruising guy. He's a great FO guy who can throw some hits, but he's not an "in your face" type player like Neil, Cooke, Lucic or Phuff.

Even Bourque can stand up to these guys but he's been out since a while and doubt he'll be very physical after missing so much time due to a concussion. Either Moen and Armstrong have to step up and do what they're payed to do or we'll have to look elsewhere.

Can't fault Price for the goal last night. Any team that keeps the pens to a goal per game should be having a good game. Our inability to finish and win important battles last night killed us in the end. After Cooke's scrap with cooke at the FO, Moen shoudl;'ve gotten into Cooke's face and given him someone to push around, leaving Gio and the rest of his line to try and score goals.

No one stood up to Cooke last night, he took liberties with PK, Ryder, Gally and Gio and had a free pass to do it.

We're paying Armstrong to be a physical presence, Moen as well and it seems like they're going through the motions. Armstrong did score 2 important goal for us last season, but that's the extent of his season. I know he's had trouble with concussions, but c'mon man, show us something. I'd put Moen and/or Armstrong on the trading block and look for another guy. Bring up blunden, he isn't a 3rd liner, but he can't be worse than Moen or Armstrong. The odd time I've seen moen play physically this season, but for the most part i don't even notice when he's on the ice. Really though acquiring Prust would give Moen someback up, but alls it's done is let Moen casually go through the season, taking his money and letting Prust do all the dirty work.

We need at least one guy to go into the dirty areas. I'd even settle for a Jonathan Cheechoo right now. Not like he'll be any worse than Armstrong and/or Moen.

I voted for bourque. While we have been missing prust and diaz badly, we have call ups filling in for them. Tinordi has been solid defensively, and Dumont has been playing his role alright. Their not great replacements, but their there.

the pleks line however, is really missing bourque. That is very obvious.

I went back and forth on this, but in the end I took Diaz. I don't think he's the the best of the three players, but I cringe every time I see Therrien throw out Gorges and Bouillon on the PP. If they were using Emelin, I wouldn't be as unhappy. If they called up Beaulieu, I could live with him learning the NHL PP game. But if the coaches insist on using two stay-at-home D men on the PP, then we miss Diaz more than those other guys.

I went back and forth on this, but in the end I took Diaz. I don't think he's the the best of the three players, but I cringe every time I see Therrien throw out Gorges and Bouillon on the PP. If they were using Emelin, I wouldn't be as unhappy. If they called up Beaulieu, I could live with him learning the NHL PP game. But if the coaches insist on using two stay-at-home D men on the PP, then we miss Diaz more than those other guys.

I came in here to say just this. I was thining during the game last night that we might be missing one of the other guys as much as Diaz... but then the PP started. We really, really need someone else out there on D on the second wave. With Gorges and Bouillon you could see the Bruins just collapse around the net to cut off our forwards. They knew that they weren't going to have to worry about anything hard coming from the points.

I'm at the point where I'd rather see Emelin on the second wave and force P.K. to play the entire two minutes. :lol:

I chose Bourque because I feel like our forwards have been falling to find space in the offensive zone lately. Bourque was doing a good job of this before he was injured and was driving the net better than anyone else on the team. Gallagher might be determined, but Bourque has the size.

I actually clicked Prust but meant to say Diaz - but really both are being missed right now.

Its not that either is a "key" player but both do a lot of good things & fill in gaps in various situations. Looking forward to getting both back.

Well I guess the evens things out then, since HRF meant to click Prust but clicked Diaz. Guess I should have explained how to use the poll function of the forum for you newbies! :)

In all seriousness though, I think there's an argument to be made for each of these 3 players, which is what makes the debate interesting. Bourque adds scoring depth, which not only makes the line he's on better, it also potentially draws coverage away from other lines too. Prust adds grit, character, and muscle that we've been lacking without him at times; and Diaz, as I mentioned, is a drastic step up over the defensive defencemen we're using on the second PP wave. None of these guys are core guys, but it goes to show how the team this year was built around putting guys in roles they can succeed in and having everyone do their individual job.