The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2014 Sochi Olympics

Here we can discuss any news regarding the upcoming camps and who we think should be on the roster

I figure we will get something like:

Stamkos-Crosby-Perry

Benn-Giroux-Nash

Seguin-Toews-Eberle

Staal-Getzlaf-Hall

my defense would be:

Subban-Weber

Pietrangelo-Doughty

Letang-Boyle

Goaltenders:

Price

Luongo

Ward

The problem with these tournaments for me is that these players are thrown together and sometimes have a hard time working together well so quickly, so I would "copy and paste" lines where possible.

Off the top of my head without much thought I would go with

Iginla-Crosby-Neal from Pittsburgh

St. Louis-Stamkos-Nash with the deadly duo from Tampa

Perry-Getzlaf-Eberle with two from the Ducks

Staal-Staal-Toews with two from Carolina and to use as the shutdown line, because all 3 are fantastic defensively

I think you get two auxilary forwards this time, and I don't know who to use

I mentioned this in another thread, and with defense its harder, but I go:

Keith-Seabrook from Chicago

Doughty-Weber they were paired together in 2010 IIRC

Subban-Staal/Peitragelo

Letang/Boyle-Staal/Peitrangelo/Boyle if you get a 4th pairing that I heard about in an NHL article update a couple weeks ago (Can't find it for some reason)

No matter what the team is, it should be really exciting. A North American team hasn't medaled at an Olympics outside of North America since NHL participation, so maybe I should tamper expectations, but our defense is the best in the world, and so are our forwards. Not liking the prospect of our goaltending compared to other countries is the problem for me.

It hasn't been finalised yet that the NHL will take part as far as I know,the insurance seems to be the thing holding it up,if that goes bust,we may have an amateur team there.

:lol::lol::lol: GO CANADA GO

It hasn't been finalised yet that the NHL will take part as far as I know,the insurance seems to be the thing holding it up,if that goes bust,we may have an amateur team there.

:lol::lol::lol: GO CANADA GO

All parties involved said that the insurance will be sorted out, and are progressing on the assumption that NHL players go. They've had lots of progress at the meeting in Helsinki and Stockholm the past couple weeks.

Also, with a lot of young players leading the US at the WCs, they might be quite the young team in Sochi to look out for, with Gibson(starter? I would), Trouba, Galchenyuk, and more.

• 1 month later...

An agreement has been reached between the NHL, National Hockey League Players' Association, International Olympic Committee and International Ice Hockey Federation to send NHL players to the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

The NHL will break from the 2013-14 regular season schedule on February 9 and return to play February 26 to allow for participation in the Games. Canada opens the Olympic tournament Feb. 13 against Norway.

2014 men's Olympic hockey groupings
Pool A: Russia, Slovenia, Slovakia, United States
Pool B: CANADA, Austria, Finland, Norway
Pool C: Czech Republic, Latvia, Switzerland, Sweden

Full article here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427999

They just HAVE to pick PK, :):D

No problem PK will be there,on thats hockey there are still sure Carey will go,that he is the natural choice along with Lou,not sure about the third goalie.

There is 3 days between when the league shuts down and the Olympics,there is little chance of our guys getting to play together,before the first game,there is a meeting in Calgary in August but they proberly won't get on the ice because of insurance problems.

Personaly I don"t think that is any way to go about it,how can a team become a team overnight,they should at least have a practice,every other sport they practice together, if they were playing for England for football they always have a camp beforehand or any other country come to that,it doesn"t make sense.

GO CANADA GO :wub::wub: :wub: :wub::wub:

What makes me laugh,is that we are putting all our guys on their respective country teams,and many of them will be there.

But Markov is too old and slow to play on our HABS,Diaz is too small and not strong enough to play on our HABS,everybody keeps talking about trading Pleks,Price is a waste of space,Patches is too soft.

We are proud of our players playing on their respective country teams but not proud of them playing on our HABS,we have the potential to have 7 players at the olympics and if Denmark had made it 8.

I am proud of our guys playing for their countries and for the HABS man I love our team.

GO HABS GO :wub::wub: :wub: :wub::wub:

Mike Babcock will once again be behind the bench when Canada tries to win gold again again in Olympic Hockey in 2014.

Joining Babcock on staff are Dallas Stars head coach Lindy Ruff, Boston Bruins' Claude Julien and St. Louis Blues Ken Hitchcock.

Hockey Canada invited 47 players to its August orientation camp on Monday. The roster for the 2014 Sochi Olympics will be chosen from among the group.

Goalies: Corey Crawford, Braden Holtby, Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Mike Smith

Defencemen: Karl Alzner, Jay Bouwmeester, Dan Boyle, Drew Doughty, Mike Green, Dan Hamhuis, Travis Hamonic, Duncan Keith, Kris Letang, Marc Methot, Dion Phaneuf, Alex Pietrangelo, Brent Seabrook, Marc Staal, P.K. Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber

Forwards: Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Logan Couture, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Getzlaf, Claude Giroux, Taylor Hall, Chris Kunitz, Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Rick Nash, James Neal, Corey Perry, Mike Richards, Patrick Sharp, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Joe Thornton, Jonathan Toews.

Hockey Canada's orientation camp will take place Aug. 25-28 in Calgary.

Surprised Ward wasn't invited. Maybe cause he's injured. But Emelin is injured too and he got invited, and Eric Staal too.

I hadn't even noticed that, but you're right. Especially when including a guy like, say, Holtby, you'd think that Ward would be a shoe-in to at least get a nod.

I hadn't even noticed that, but you're right. Especially when including a guy like, say, Holtby, you'd think that Ward would be a shoe-in to at least get a nod.

No Ward, no MAF, no Brodeur... those are all guys you could have at least made an argument for taking over Price based on experience. Luongo has to be a shoe-in in goal now, being the only guy with real Olympic experience already. But you'd have to think Price has good odds at beating out two of Smith, Holtby, and Crawford.

Subban probably has decent odds on the blue line as well, with the wild card being how many lefties and righties they decide to go with. To me, the locks on defence are Weber, Keith, and Doughty in that order. After that, it's anyone's guess who emerges from the pack. I'd take Subban after that top 3, but if the team decides to go with Pietrangelo (Hitchcock is a coach), Seabrook or Boyle (Olympic experience), or Phaneuf or Bouwmeester (left-handed shots), then Subban may be left out, even if he's clearly one of the top 6 guys invited.

No Ward, no MAF, no Brodeur... those are all guys you could have at least made an argument for taking over Price based on experience. Luongo has to be a shoe-in in goal now, being the only guy with real Olympic experience already. But you'd have to think Price has good odds at beating out two of Smith, Holtby, and Crawford.

Subban probably has decent odds on the blue line as well, with the wild card being how many lefties and righties they decide to go with. To me, the locks on defence are Weber, Keith, and Doughty in that order. After that, it's anyone's guess who emerges from the pack. I'd take Subban after that top 3, but if the team decides to go with Pietrangelo (Hitchcock is a coach), Seabrook or Boyle (Olympic experience), or Phaneuf or Bouwmeester (left-handed shots), then Subban may be left out, even if he's clearly one of the top 6 guys invited.

I would think that Crawford (PO experience) has the inside track after Lou, with the 3rd slot open.

Dion :wacko: ? I would hope not.

IMO, all of the invitees, no matter which country they will possibly be playing for, will go all out, to prove they belong on the team.

A list of the Habs players invited to their countries teams. :)

P.K. Subban
Carey Price
Tomas Plekanec
Peter Budaj
Max Pacioretty
Andrei Markov
Yannick Weber
Raphael Diaz

Weber is not a Hab anymore. And I don't think Czech Republic and Switzerland and Slovakia released their list of invitees yet, although Plekanec and Diaz and Budaj are locks to not only make the camp, but make the team.

I stand corrected then. I got this list here:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Pitter+Look+Subban+Price+Team+Canada+Sochi/8202979/story.html

I also forgot to mention Emelin.

Archived