The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL Compliance Buyouts

kinot-1

We all know that Habs have exercised their two compliance buyouts, and some other teams have bought-out players as well.

Here's how it works:

:As of now, compliance buyouts are scheduled to take place over the same brief time frame as ordinary buyouts: Starting 48 hours after the final Stanley Cup Final game, and ending at 5 p.m. Eastern on June 30.

Here’s what the CBA allows
Each NHL team has been awarded two compliance buyouts that can be used at the end of this season or following the 2013-14 season. The buyouts are meant to help teams adjust to the falling salary cap; the cap decreases to $64.3 million next season from $70.2 million this year.
Teams can use none, one or both of their buyouts after this season comes to a conclusion. The same goes for next summer. It’s up to each organization to decide whether and how buyouts are employed.
So, is there, or will there be any interest in those players bought out, either for the Habs or for the other teams?
So far these players have been bought out, (that I could find out).
Philadelphia
Ilya Bryzgalov (as of today)
Daniel Briere
Montreal
Thomas Kaberle
Scott Gomez

I read on TSN this past week that it is confirmed, leafs are buying out Komi and flyers made it official today, Bryz is a free man. His time in Philly won't do him any favours this summer. He may have to sign a Vokoun type contract if he wants to remain in the NHL.

Vokoun had to call Washington himself (his agent) and offer to play for them for 1 mil/season. I see Bryz signing a similar type contract. Maybe not 1 mil/season, but significantly lower than what he was earning in Philly.

So, Philly goes back to looking for that #1 tender, love it!

Loved it even more when Bobrovsky won the vezina.

Philly makes the move official.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426278

I just found this piece re Bryz:

"With Bernier off the market, the Philadelphia Flyers will have to consider other options.

A compliance buyout of Ilya Bryzgalov was reportedly contingent upon the Flyers landing a replacement goaltender.

CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio cited a source claiming the Flyers will continue looking at other goalies, including those eligible for free agency. They'll have to move quickly, however, as the

Sometimes you just have to wonder. :huh::blink:

From the Trawnna Sun:

The NHL closed a loophole for compliance buyouts after some clever bargaining between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning.

According to the New York Post, the two clubs discussed a deal that would send centre Vincent Lecavalier and an asset – possibly a draft pick – to the Leafs. Toronto would then buy out Lecavalier’s massive contract and Tampa Bay would sign him to a more modest deal.

Such a deal would save the Lightning a large amount of dough and get out from under Lecavalier’s $7.7-million salary cap hit. The 33-year-old centre has seven years and $45 million left on his contract. A buyout would see him paid $30 million over 14 years."

30 Mil. for a draft pick? :wacko:

Sometimes you just have to wonder. :huh::blink:

From the Trawnna Sun:

The NHL closed a loophole for compliance buyouts after some clever bargaining between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning.

According to the New York Post, the two clubs discussed a deal that would send centre Vincent Lecavalier and an asset – possibly a draft pick – to the Leafs. Toronto would then buy out Lecavalier’s massive contract and Tampa Bay would sign him to a more modest deal.

Such a deal would save the Lightning a large amount of dough and get out from under Lecavalier’s $7.7-million salary cap hit. The 33-year-old centre has seven years and $45 million left on his contract. A buyout would see him paid $30 million over 14 years."

30 Mil. for a draft pick? :wacko:

Wow, that's one costly draft pick. leafs can afford it, there has to be more to that deal.

i see the benefit for T-Bay, but what's in it for the leafs?

I just found this piece re Bryz:

"With Bernier off the market, the Philadelphia Flyers will have to consider other options.

A compliance buyout of Ilya Bryzgalov was reportedly contingent upon the Flyers landing a replacement goaltender.

CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio cited a source claiming the Flyers will continue looking at other goalies, including those eligible for free agency. They'll have to move quickly, however, as the

So the search continues for the flyers, still looking for that #1. Shame they weren't a little more patient with Bobrovsky, that one still makes me laugh.

i don't think they've had a solid #1 since hextall. Is that possible?

Wow, that's one costly draft pick. leafs can afford it, there has to be more to that deal.

i see the benefit for T-Bay, but what's in it for the leafs?

So the search continues for the flyers, still looking for that #1. Shame they weren't a little more patient with Bobrovsky, that one still makes me laugh.

i don't think they've had a solid #1 since hextall. Is that possible?

The only benefit that I can see for the Leafs, is that they don't give up a player or a pick. The extension of that of course, is that a rich team (Leafs, Rags, etc.) could offer a poor team ( TB, Phoenix, etc.) X millions, for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rd. pick, straight-up. In effect,,,buying an extra draft pick.

The only benefit that I can see for the Leafs, is that they don't give up a player or a pick. The extension of that of course, is that a rich team (Leafs, Rags, etc.) could offer a poor team ( TB, Phoenix, etc.) X millions, for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rd. pick, straight-up. In effect,,,buying an extra draft pick.

There has to be more to it, that's expensive for a pick, even a first overall, which leafs wouldn't receive from T-Bay.

The point is moot now since T-Bay has offricially stated that they are buying out Vinny's contract. The rumors were true, and frankly, I'm not surprised. Vinny takes up a lot of cap space, he has regressed and is often injured, it's an expensive contract to carry around and it was for something like 10 years (don't remember the actual term, too lazy to look it up). It's a lot of money to dish out in one shot, but in the long run it should be advantageous if they're smarter with their money moving forward.

T-Bay can use that money to maybe find a tender, a UFA or sit on it until the right player comes along. Imo this move will pay off if they are wise. Meaning they don't throw the same amount of money at the first available UFA. have a feeling Stevey-Y will build through the draft, maybe land a UFA to help their 2nd line.

Expensive, but a good move for them. With this buyout they may be one of the richest teams going into FA. Again, too lazy to look up and confirm.

It's a pity the two sides didn't negotiate one compliance buyout each year for all teams for the duration of the CBA. Makes for an interesting off season.

I read on TSN this past week that it is confirmed, leafs are buying out Komi and flyers made it official today, Bryz is a free man. His time in Philly won't do him any favours this summer. He may have to sign a Vokoun type contract if he wants to remain in the NHL.

Vokoun had to call Washington himself (his agent) and offer to play for them for 1 mil/season. I see Bryz signing a similar type contract. Maybe not 1 mil/season, but significantly lower than what he was earning in Philly.

So, Philly goes back to looking for that #1 tender, love it!

Loved it even more when Bobrovsky won the vezina.

Do you mean they actually had a number 1 goaltender?

Looks like Grabovski will be bought out too. He's been placed on "unconditional waivers" which is usually the first step to a buy out. Im not surprised although considering he's only had 1 year under his current contract, this wont look good for toronto to other UFAs. You basically are telling free agents that "you get one year & if you mess up, we dont give you another chance."

The contract was a gross overpayment in the first place by BB for a one dimensional extremely streaky player. Both term and money we're above market value for him IMO. Contract put him in the "no team wants that albatross" department. I don't doubt he'll find work elsewhere on a much more palatable deal for the new CBA reality.

The contract was a gross overpayment in the first place by BB for a one dimensional extremely streaky player. Both term and money we're above market value for him IMO. Contract put him in the "no team wants that albatross" department. I don't doubt he'll find work elsewhere on a much more palatable deal for the new CBA reality.

Oh yeah, I agree with everything you're saying, I just think this move wont be a positive one for Toronto, as they try to sign free agents. Anything that hurts the leafs is fine by me though. :P

Oh yeah, I agree with everything you're saying, I just think this move wont be a positive one for Toronto, as they try to sign free agents. Anything that hurts the leafs is fine by me though. :P

No argument here. I almost miss BB. :P :P

Archived