The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-2014 If I Were GM

BigTed3

Put yourself in the shoes of GM Marc Bergevin. Is there a trade you'd make, a guy you'd target as a free agent or in the draft, or a coaching change you'd suggest? Let us know what you would do if you were the general manager of the Canadiens.

If i were GM i would try to get the goaltending coach from the Phoenix Coyotes and have him work with Carey Price and hopefully get him to stay off his knees, then i would try to get Larry Robinson to be the coach for the defensemen

If i were GM i would try to get the goaltending coach from the Phoenix Coyotes and have him work with Carey Price and hopefully get him to stay off his knees, then i would try to get Larry Robinson to be the coach for the defensemen

Have heard some rumors about the Habs courting Stephane Waite, the goalie coach from Chicago, although I'm not sure that's a realistic goal. Would be good to know who is being considered for the job...

As for Robinson, that would be nice, but that ship has probably sailed. I'm not a J.J. Daigneault fan by any means, although I think as a generality that coaches should be given 2-3 years to perfect their jobs. I didn't like what Daigneault did last year but I'm willing to give him a shot at improving himself next year. That being said, he was clearly the weak link in the coaching staff this past season.

If I were MB, here are guys that I would try to target:

1. Patrick Sharp - I just love his style of play determination
2. Brian Boyle - has great size with a surprising amount skill
3. Mason Raymond - a very, very fast winger
4. James Wiznewski - a hard hitting d-man with a great shot
5. Andy Sutton - a big and punishing d-man

I think all these guys are attainable, with the hardest one being Sharp. He may be very expensive after his stellar performance in the playoffs. I'm not sure, but maybe something like Pleks, DD , and the 1st. I think he may actually be worth the price.

If I were MB, here are guys that I would try to target:

1. Patrick Sharp - I just love his style of play determination

2. Brian Boyle - has great size with a surprising amount skill

3. Mason Raymond - a very, very fast winger

4. James Wiznewski - a hard hitting d-man with a great shot

5. Andy Sutton - a big and punishing d-man

I think all these guys are attainable, with the hardest one being Sharp. He may be very expensive after his stellar performance in the playoffs. I'm not sure, but maybe something like Pleks, DD , and the 1st. I think he may actually be worth the price.

Wizniewski is average defensively, increasingly injury prone, and wildly overpaid.

Raymond really doesn't do anything at all offensively

Sutton is barely even a 6th d-man in the NHL

Boyle is okay, but don't really see how he's worth giving up assets.

Sharp is great, but he's going nowhere...and certainly not for a trade like the one mentioned. If he was dealt it would be for a guy like Eller and a couple of picks, or Gallagher and a couple of picks. Even then it's doubtful.

Well Jagr says he wants to return to the NHL for one year.

Considering there's a hole of sorts there, with Cole out for RYder and Ryder out...I wouldn't mind seeing him on a 1 year deal.

My number one hope is still Iginla on a 1 year deal.

Also, I hate Ference..but the B's said they aren't re-signing him and he'd be a perfect fit with this team.

No Ference! Noooooooooooooo. This was the guy who gave the finger to the Bell Centre a few years back and claimed it was a "glove malfunction."

I know, it was a total dweeb move.

But I'e actually heard amazing things about the type of guy he is off the ice, one incident shouldn't define a guy.

He's also a pretty hard nosed d-man, and since he's older and not all that big he really won't break the bank I can't imagine.

I know, it was a total dweeb move.

But I'e actually heard amazing things about the type of guy he is off the ice, one incident shouldn't define a guy.

He's also a pretty hard nosed d-man, and since he's older and not all that big he really won't break the bank I can't imagine.

Fair enough. :) Good points.

I'd still be skeptical about bringing him in after the incident. I'm also not sure about Ference being anything more than another 5 - 6 guy. I feel like we're good for 5 - 6 guys right now.

Fair enough. :) Good points.

I'd still be skeptical about bringing him in after the incident. I'm also not sure about Ference being anything more than another 5 - 6 guy. I feel like we're good for 5 - 6 guys right now.

Oh I just would like Ference as a short term stop gap to add depth while seeing what we have in some of the young guys. He isn't much more than a 5/6 guy. Who knows, since he's not over 35 he may very well get a long deal in UFA.

I'm with JR. We have enough 5-6 guys on the roster. Iginla on a one-year deal would be great, though, or even Jagr as a fallback option ("THOMAS JAGR" ;)).

You can never have too much depth on defence. it'd be great to sign a number 2 guy, but there's none available.

And to trade for a legit one, we can say goodbye to one, or more, of Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Eller plus other assets.

You can never have too much depth on defence. it'd be great to sign a number 2 guy, but there's none available.

And to trade for a legit one, we can say goodbye to one, or more, of Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Eller plus other assets.

I'd honestly have no problem losing any of the above mentioned players for a top-2 defender.

I'm with JR. We have enough 5-6 guys on the roster. Iginla on a one-year deal would be great, though, or even Jagr as a fallback option ("THOMAS JAGR" ;)).

I think Iginla will have no trouble 2-3 years. I'd be comfortable with 2 and I would still consider 3 depending on cap hit. He's getting older but he's not ancient yet.

I'd honestly have no problem losing any of the above mentioned players for a top-2 defender.

I guess it depends on who the top 2 defender is. Cheap, young, controllable talent in the NHL may very well be the most valuable commodity in the NHL these days. There's not many d-men in the league I'd want imagine would be available that I'd be comfortable trading young, cheap, high potential guys for.

To me, we already have a surplus of 5-6 guys. Either we add a top-four piece or we hold back and wait until next summer.

With Emelin potentially missing the first motnh and a half of the season I'd be shocked if they didn't add at least one cheap, veteran d-man.

Anything that bumps Bouillon down the depth charts is good in my books.

With Emelin potentially missing the first motnh and a half of the season I'd be shocked if they didn't add at least one cheap, veteran d-man.

I can see that move happening too, but I wouldn't be terribly happy with it, since Emelin is supposed to be a top-four guy (right?) and whoever we sign for cheap isn't going to be a top-four guy. If we just want to play a d-man over his head, we can do that with players on our existing roster.

Anything that bumps Bouillon down the depth charts is good in my books.

Agreed on that count.

They don't need a top 4 guy, the need someone to hold the line until Emelin (who definitely looks like a top 4 d-man) can return.

What do you mean by hold the line? Play in the top four? If so, whoever we sign likely won't be able to do that for three months and play at a quality level. If you just want another 5-6 guy, we've got those guys already. To me, signing a veteran 5-6 d-man as a stopgap solution for Emelin's absence doesn't obtain, because Emelin isn't a 5-6 guy himself.

What do you mean by hold the line? Play in the top four? If so, whoever we sign likely won't be able to do that for three months and play at a quality level. If you just want another 5-6 guy, we've got those guys already. To me, signing a veteran 5-6 d-man as a stopgap solution for Emelin's absence doesn't obtain, because Emelin isn't a 5-6 guy himself.

Three months? I don't think it will be January when Emelin returns.

It's not ideal, but it is what it is. You find a guy who will sign a 1 year deal and won't look out of place.

The situation looks less than ideal now, but what if Markov, Gorges, or Subban goes down at some point early in the season?

A questionable situation could become very, very dire in the flick of a wrist...and then desperation could sink in because it's hard to make up lost ground and you don't want to fall too far behind.

A dependable defensive d-man, whether he's a "true" top 4, or better served as a bottom pairing guy to add to the depth and if Emelin comes back then that guy can become a tradeable asset.

im with keeps it real on this one, and i specifically mentioned ference in the old locked thread.

yes we have many 5-6 guys but none of them can throw a hit. i dont want to see anymore diaz-gorges type pairings.

like you guys both agreed on, id do it just to push bouillon down the depth chart

im with keeps it real on this one, and i specifically mentioned ference in the old locked thread.

yes we have many 5-6 guys but none of them can throw a hit. i dont want to see anymore diaz-gorges type pairings.

like you guys both agreed on, id do it just to push bouillon down the depth chart

Another great point jeff, there are different "kinds" of 5/6 d-men.

Who would you rather see playing on the bottom pairing later in the season (provided Emelin is back and Gorges and Markov are bot hhealthy) Ference or Bouillon?

Far too often people get too caught up in the distinction of what "number" d-man a guy is. If he can fit well in the line up and use his strengths to contrast some other players weaknesses than how would having him on the team be a bad thing?

More I think about Ference though, the more I think both his years and money will be too much.

It looks like you didn't read any of my reasoning and just read the name of the player....

Wizniewski is average defensively, increasingly injury prone, and wildly overpaid.

- When he was here, he played great for us. Read my reasons.

Raymond really doesn't do anything at all offensively

- Says who? He's been plagued by injuries, but the full season he played he managed to score 53 points. On average he's probably a 40-50 point guy - that's something.

Sutton is barely even a 6th d-man in the NHL

- I don't care where on the pecking order he plays on another team. He's 6'6" and 245 lbs. He plays with a mean-streak that no one on our team has. The only knock on him is that he's getting a little long in the tooth. But I would take him over Soupy or Drewisky any day.

Boyle is okay, but don't really see how he's worth giving up assets.

- You can't make that claim without mentioning which assets. On our team, he would be the biggest forward at 6'7". I would easily give up any of (or all of) DD, Moen, Armstrong, and Prust for him.

Sharp is great, but he's going nowhere...and certainly not for a trade like the one mentioned. If he was dealt it would be for a guy like Eller and a couple of picks, or Gallagher and a couple of picks. Even then it's doubtful.

- It's funny. I mentioned before the playoffs began, about acquiring Sharp (for Pleks and parts), and people were mentioning that Pleks would be the better player in that deal.

It looks like you didn't read any of my reasoning and just read the name of the player....

We each have our own opinions of players, none of your reasons why you would want those players are going to sway my opinion of those players.

Oh by the way, Andy Sutton isn't even an nHL player anymore. Literally. He retired.

On Raymonds' account...I live in BC, I've watched him play for many years. He's not tough, he doesn't use his size, he doesn't bring anything new to this team.

Whether or not Plekx is the "better" player in the deal isn't paramount, if they're dealing Sharp its' to open up cap space and get younger. Trading for 8.5 in salaries from players aged 31 and 27 respectively doesn't seem to accomplish that goal.

In terms of Boyle, not sure how trading Prust for him makes any sense...Armstrong is a UFA, Moen for Boyle...sure, but why does NYR do that? And the Rangers have 2 solid young centers and Brad Richards, doubt DD interests them at all.

Wizniewski was okay for the habs, great offensively but didn't do much defensively. If he gets compliance bought out and will sign a short deal then sure...but I'd hate to see them trade for him and his horrible contract.

Archived